Can you over beat egg whites for pavlova?

mumto3, Dec 22, 10:42pm
I left the mixer running with the egg whites and sugar in it for quite some time and the result was almost marshmellow in texture.

Once cooked it cracked and collapsed a bit but still a decent sized pav.I wondered if I should not beat them so much next time

alebix, Dec 22, 11:37pm
How long is too long? 10 mins?

My pavs always crack and collapse, but there is always a huge amount of marshmallow in the middle and its still very tasty.

books4nz, Dec 22, 11:47pm
Mumto3 - it's fine to beat them for a while - it'll taste good!

Me too Alebix - my recipe is to place everything in the bowl and beat for 15 minutes - great marshmallow centre and delicious pavlova.

mumto3, Dec 23, 1:04am
more like 20 mins LOL

margyr, Dec 23, 1:38am
one recipe on here says to beat for 30 mins.

harrislucinda, Dec 23, 1:39am
theysaylongeruntillsugardisslovedafterthatshouldbeready

janzjanz, Dec 23, 2:08am
OK, never made pav before.Just found out 15 people are coming for brunch..... give me a sure no fail recipe.....and I am going to give it a go.Seems easy but are there tricks.What fruit would you use on top.

juliewn, Dec 23, 2:27am
Hi Janz.. though there's a lot of typing below, this is easy and gives a slightly crisp outside and marshmallow centre.. make it today and pop it in your freezer.. take out when you're ready to decorate it - and serve.. saves taking up fridge space as the pavlova doesn't freeze hard and can be used straight from the freezer:

Place in a mixer bowl and beat all together for 15 minutes:

3 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/8cups sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp malt vinegar
1/4 cup boiling water.

While that's beating, heat oven to 150°C
Place baking paper on an oven tray (I use a flat, round, ovenproof glass plate/platter, spread mix out and bake it on that - no need for baking paper and I don't need to transfer the pav to a serving tray as I can serve it on the platter).
When mix is ready, pile on the tray to form a circle - about 20cm across - the pav will spread slightly.
Place in the oven, bake 5 (five) minutes
Don't open the door, turn oven down to 90°C - cook for 45 minutes.
Turn oven off, leave door closed and leave in the oven until cold - several hours at least.
Remove from the oven, place on a platter and freeze, or decorate as you wish..

Strawberries, kiwifruit, flaked chocolate, chocolate chips, well-drained peach slices, crushed Crunchy Bar chocolate, slivered almonds, etc..etc.. are all good..

______________________________-

Pavlova Variations:

Lemon or Orange:
Add the finely grated rind of one lemon or orange to the mix at the beginning of beating, plus use the juice from the orange or lemon in place of the vinegar and 1 tablespoon of the water in the recipe. Bake as per the recipe..
Coconut is nice added to this too.. or fold chocolate through an orange pavlova mix for a jaffa flavoured result..

Coconut Macaroon Pavlova

Add 1/2 cup of coconut to the mix when beating it.. bake as per the recipe.. it will be a firmer mix.. and still taste very good..

Chocolate Pavlova:
Fold chocolate chips through the mix when it's ready - create a marbled effect by folding it through lightly. Bake as per the recipe..

Almond:
Add 1/2 to 1 tsp of almond essence to the mix before beating. Once the mix is spread out on the baking paper or dish, and ready to go into the oven, sprinkle the top with slivered almonds and bake with these on top. Just delicious! Chocolate could be folded through this too..

Caramel:
Add an extra teaspoon of vanilla and use brown sugar instead of the white sugar.. bake as per the recipe.. slivered almonds can be folded through the mix, or sprinkled across the top for this too.. or chocolate can be folded through..

marcs, Dec 23, 4:34am
This is my one. If you have a mixer then it is great othewise use a electric hand beater but beat for about 20 mins.

6 egg Whites,
1 & 1/4 c castor sugar
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
2 Tablespoons Boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the FIRST FOUR Ingredients together while boiling the jug. Add the Boiled Water and vanilla. Beat until thick and smooth (approx 15 mins). Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray (pile thickly NOT widely and flatten the top slightly). Cook for 2 mintues at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further 1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C. (Leave in oven overnight to cool)

This pav does not sink in the middle. It does crack but holds its shape

venna2, Dec 23, 4:47am
I've found that if I beat egg whites too long they go liquidy ... not very scientific but it's a start. I'd beat until they're white and stiff.

horseychick, Dec 23, 5:16am
Richard Till recommends adding the sugar a little bit at a time, and beating the whites for at least 10 mins. Whites should be thick and glossy.

seniorbones, Dec 23, 5:57am
Ruth Prettys recipe is to beat all together for 30mins

annie.nz, Dec 7, 3:18pm
I don't suppose you could post Ruth Pretty's recipe?Please?