Using Milk Powder

actiongirl1, May 29, 4:12am
I have just starting using milk powder made up for milk to try and save a few $$. I have made it up using empty plastic milk containers I had on hand but have noticed a bit of an odour. I would prefer to make it and store it in the fridge in a glass container same shape and size of the plastic milk container with a screw top so does anyone know where I could buy something like this . Thank you

dezzie, May 29, 5:18am
You will probably be lucky to find something like that, most things are made with ease of cleaning in mind as well.

motorbo, May 29, 5:31am
yes plastic isn't good to use, you can get glass milk bottles nowdays, might be worth a try, I use a milk jog - but I don't need huge quantities at a time

nauru, May 29, 6:09am
I use glass bottles, I bought them in Briscoes, link below. http://www.briscoes.co.nz/kitchen/storage/frutta-del-pratto-sauce-bottle-1l-1031079
They have a 40% off this week too, there are lots to choose from but I like these as they have screw tops which can be replaced. They only hold a litre each but that's OK as suits my needs.

kateley, May 29, 6:20am
We make our own milk in empty fruit cordial bottles (barkers?) they are 750 ml and fit in the dishwasher.

actiongirl1, May 29, 7:27am
Thank you everyone, I will order the ones from Briscoes, thanks Nauru.

lythande1, May 29, 6:28pm
I have been doing this for years.
I use plastic containers - old milk bottles, plastic jugs etc.
Put them in the dishwasher! It cleans and sterilises them.
If there is an odour, it's not clean.
If you don't have a dishwasher, get some sterilising solution - either from the brewers shop or baby bottle solution, and do it that way after thoroughly cleaning them first.

hezwez, May 30, 3:29am
We use a large glass jug. I noticed an odour even with thorough cleaning and after much use the plastic jugs had miniscule abrasions on the plastic, harbouring (I think) bacteria.

nauru, May 30, 4:20am
You're welcome, glad to be of help.

nauru, May 30, 4:23am
Yes, not good to use patstic containers that's why I bought the glass bottles as they can go in the dishwasher.

lilyfield, May 30, 7:37pm
I have never noticed an odour when using plastik bottles. Just do not make up more than one days qunatety at a time.

harrislucinda, May 30, 10:16pm
Are you finding it works out cheaper as when did that was dearer as packet of powder is around $10

nauru, May 31, 8:20am
That works out at $1 a litr, so it's way cheaper. I pay around $9 a pkt for mine.

actiongirl1, Jun 21, 12:45am
I paid just over $8 for the Pams 1 kg milk powder and it made up 8 litres of milk. I usually buy 8 litres of milk from Couplands for $13.20, so yes a savings there.