Yummy roast vege tricks?

Page 1 / 2
lythande1, Nov 10, 2:55am
Just keep them separate from the meat. The juices make them soggy. Doesn't matter if you precook or not - that just speeds it up. keep it away from anything except fat or oil.

bev00, Nov 10, 10:56am
great tips.

samanya, Nov 11, 5:18am
I usually roast veges separately from the meat if cooking the traditional roast dinner.
Potatoes & other root veges I coat in wholemeal flour & use a small amount of duck fat
No faffing around par boiling & they are always good.
Any other 'lighter' veges go in later & depending on what type of meal it's to accompany
If I'm roasting for a stand alone warm salad I do similar to what impressions described @ #2 . haven't used golden syrup but will give it a go . can always learn.
. I use aoli or any other dressing to taste.

ritebuy, Nov 12, 6:24am
roll potatoes in mix of turmeric and flour before roasting

tanya170, Nov 13, 6:15am
I cook mine separately as well, in beef dripping. Yum yum

uli, Nov 13, 6:20am
I peel and put everything in my big roasting dish, add olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme, rosemary and whatever else is in the garden. Then use my hands to mix and then straight into a very hot oven.

Yes do not crowd the dish, rather make 2 lots and then put them together when crispy for a quick re-heat in the oven.

No need for a plastic bag to add to all the pollution we already have. Hands can be easily washed after mixing under hot water and with a bit of soap.

pickles7, Nov 13, 10:45am
Why on earth would anyone put golden syrup on vegetables to roast. Added sugar, is no longer cool.

babylak, Nov 13, 11:58am
My mother used to cook roast veges drizzled in melted butter, honey and lemon juice. They were amazing but definitely not in the Weight Watchers cookbook

gabbysnana, Nov 16, 6:37am
Cook in lard.

samanya, Nov 16, 6:47am
Duck fat.

gabbysnana, Nov 16, 6:55am
even better, but in yonder year, lard was all there was only the gentry could afford duck fat.

redbluecod, Nov 17, 6:33am
par boil then roast using duck fat ( supermarkets do stock it ) note duck fat has a lower smoking point than oil so sit at about 160 to 170

aglarana, Nov 17, 7:05am
This.
You can also try shaking them in a bread bag with slightly salted flour before cooking.

jane310567, Dec 1, 3:56am
I have to make roast veges for 16 next week - mine always are a bit soggy. Any special tricks? Also what veges work well to be roasted as will try out a few new ones too.

impressions, Dec 1, 4:20am
Make up a mixture of equal parts, balsamic, golden syrup & olive oil. Put into a bag with any veg. Toss around & lay in tray. Scatter over Italian herbs,
Best ever!

davidt4, Dec 1, 4:24am
I like a combination of red capsicums, eggplant, pumpkin, red onions and tomatoes, sprinkled with sumac, paprika, salt and olive oil.

Another good combination is potatoes, fennel bulb and onions, sprinkled with chopped or dried dill, salt, olive oil and lemon juice.

hotstuff111, Dec 1, 4:51am
we boil our spuds first for 10 minutes just half boiled then tip into a collinder and dry give them a shake to ruf them up put into roast dish put some oil on them then put in oven they go crispy

obus, Dec 1, 5:19am
so does that work for pumpkin and kumara? any other ideas for these veges please thanks!

karenz, Dec 1, 5:24am
My roast veggies are so much nicer now that I boil them until they are about half cooked, then toss them in olive oil or pan juices (if I am doing a roast) and grind a little salt and pepper over.

sarahb5, Dec 1, 5:33am
I always parboil root veggies before roasting them

schnauzer11, Dec 1, 5:46am
Aha!-the bag! That's my method, too.Even if just oil, tossing the peices around in a plastic bag works well, with minimum oil.

impressions, Dec 1, 7:59am
Yes,tonight I used capsicum & pumpkin, kumera & potato.

rchelley, Dec 1, 8:13am
I precook them in the microwave or boil until partly cooked. Toss in rice bran oil and sprinkle with masterfoods roast vegetable seasoning.

jane310567, Dec 1, 8:31am
nice suggestions - thanks

jynx66, Dec 1, 7:15pm
After pre-cooking, put them into really hot oil. I also sprinkle a dessert-spoonful of seasoned semolina over and give them a bit of a shake before putting them in the hot oil - makes them deliciously crispy.