So. what happened to the flour shortage that

babytears, Oct 16, 3:17am
was supposed to happen! I went mad stocking up on the stuff. there never was a shortage!

elliehen, Oct 16, 3:19am
Don't believe a word from anyone who isn't required to put a real name to what they say ;)

babytears, Oct 16, 3:21am
Indeed!

creeky1, Oct 16, 3:29am
it was the same with the sugar a while ago. media hype.

uli, Oct 16, 4:06am
One year later we still have the same problems:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2012/oct/14/food-climate-change-population-water "."We've not been producing as much as we are consuming. That is why stocks are being run down. Supplies are now very tight across the world and reserves are at a very low level, leaving no room for unexpected events next year," said Abdolreza Abbassian, a senior economist with the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO). With food consumption exceeding the amount grown for six of the past 11 years, countries have run down reserves from an average of 107 days of consumption 10 years ago to under 74 days recently."
".Failing harvests in the US, Ukraine and other countries this year have eroded reserves to their lowest level since 1974. The US, which has experienced record heatwaves and droughts in 2012, now holds in reserve a historically low 6.5% of the maize that it expects to consume in the next year, says the UN."

"Food shortages undermined earlier civilisations. We are on the same path. Each country is now fending for itself. The world is living one year to the next"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/2012/oct/14/un-global-food-crisis-warning

malcovy, Oct 16, 4:19am
I just ignore fear based stuff like that, some people just look at the negative and focus on that, some religious leaders are like that, they are supposed to trust.

uli, Oct 16, 4:34am
I don't think there was to be a shortage - just less wheat than usual, so the prices went up. The same went for sugar.

uli, Oct 16, 4:39am

dezzie, Oct 16, 7:20am
I've been buying 10 kg when its on special and dropping the bags in the freezer, if the shortage doesn't happen I'm no worse off really.

beaker59, Oct 16, 10:59pm
Interesting thing is that food prices have been dropping lately well for the last two months anyway. Certainly we have noticed it in our shopping though meat I have noticed while not more expensive there are less and less useful specials.

I don't buy much flour and its so cheap anyway.

kiwiscrapper1, Oct 17, 5:25am
And tea! It was advertised that there would be a shortage and price would double so I just bought one extra box and there has been no shortage in fact my favourite tea is on special! Twinings NZ Breakfast so refreshing.

buzzy110, Oct 17, 7:34am
Don't forget chocolate. Apparently all the plantations were going to die from disease for something. Haven't heard anything about the chocolate shortage lately.

Then there was the big banana shortage that never happened.