Italian Fruit Mustard

monty4ever, Feb 3, 1:58am
Does anyone have a recipie for this "chutney" using whole mustard seeds.

davidt4, Feb 3, 2:33am
I've tried in the past to make Mostarda di Cremona using dried fruit and whole mustard seeds, but it didn't have the same flavour.My versions were quite nice but without the distinctive character and I've now lost the recipe.

Italian mostarda is made with mustard oil, which is hard to find.Here's an interesting article about it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/sep/03/foodanddrink.shopping4

monty4ever, Feb 3, 6:22pm
Thanks davidt4.I won't give up looking and will post recipie if it comes to hand.

punkinthefirst, Feb 4, 5:22am
I had a brilliant recipe, but alas, I've lost it. It was from a NZ House and Garden or a Cuisine Magazine from several years ago, and involved LOTS of honey, mustard and mustard seedsand glace fruits. I made a couple of batches to give away for Christmas presents a few years ago. My friends all gobbled theirs up, (labelling it "an orgasm in a jar" in the process, and came back for the recipe, but alas! in the pre Christmas cleanup, I put the magazine in a "safe place", and it hasn't been seen since!

davidt4, Feb 3, 2:33am
I've tried in the past to make Mostarda di Cremona using dried fruit and whole mustard seeds, but it didn't have the same flavour.My versions were quite nice but without the distinctive character and I've now lost the recipe.

Italian mostarda is made with mustard oil, which is hard to find.Here's an interesting article about it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/sep/03/foodanddrink.shopping4

bev00, Feb 3, 11:26am
Hope you both found your recipes.

Heres an Alyson Gofton one -

Italian style mustard fruit Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 cups

Ingredients
1¾ cups sugar

1 cup water

1 cup wine, raspberry or other fruit vinegar

2 teaspoons mustard powder

2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds

500 grams dried fruit – peaches, apples, apricots, prunes, pineapple cut into bite-sized pieces

Method
1.Place the sugar, water, wine vinegar, mustard powder and seeds in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

2.Place the fruit in a 4-5 cup-capacity jar. Pour over the cooled syrup, seal and store in a cool place for 2 weeks before serving. Once opened, keep refrigerated.

Variations
- Use half honey and half sugar
- Add a cinnamon stick or a few whole cloves

guest, Jan 11, 9:49am
That takes us up to the next level. Great pognsti.

guest, Jan 13, 1:49pm
What a great idea! I bet it feels like an early Christmas too!! I hope your kids are feeling betetr...I was just thinking I haven't seen you around much, but it looks like I've missed a post anyways! ;)

guest, Jan 14, 9:59am
? .. ???? ?? ? ? ? ? ?? ?? ?? ? .. ?? .. ? ? ? ? ? ... ? ??? ? ? ? ? comment ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??? ? ?.. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ??? ? ? ?? ?? ? ? ? ?... ?? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ... :D ? ? ??? ? ? ? ??? ?? ? ? .. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? .. :P