using preserving plum juice

raewyn64, Jan 30, 3:18am
Hi all

i have just filled 8 small bottles with stewed plums. I have also filled 2 jars with the juice that was left over as I did not want to throw it out.
The juice consists of just plum juice and the skins from the plums. I didn't add anything to the plums when I put them in the pot (they had been frozen straight off the tree) except a little water.
My question is can I use the juice to make plum jam? or can you think of anything else I can use the juice for? As I said it is currently in a couple of jars and I hope the lids are going to suck in when they cool down so the juice should be ok just as it is for a while but ideas would be great.
Thanks so much

245sam, Jan 30, 3:38am
raewyn64, here's a real oldie idea that my Mum often made to use the syrup from bottled/preserved fruit and I too have used it rather than waste the fruity flavoured syrup so maybe it would be a good use for your "juice"... . .

CREAMY FRUIT WHISK
small jaror can of fruit
water
1 heaped dssp flour
2 dssp gelatine

Drain the jar (or can) and make the syrup up to 2 cups with water.
Mix the flour with some of the liquid and bring the remainder of the liquid to the boil. Add the flour and boil for 2 minutes, until thick, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly, still stirring, then pour the mixture on to the gelatine. Cool, then whisk for at least ¼ hour. Add the required amount of chopped fruit and pour the mixture into a serving dish to set.
Note:This can also be made with any juice from stewed fruit and no fruit added, or can be made with black coffee, sweetened to taste.

Hope that helps. :-))

raewyn64, Jan 30, 3:44am
Oh yes thanks for that. What is the purpose of the flour in it?

245sam, Jan 30, 4:06am
raewyn64, the flour slightly thickens the liquid, and seems to give the dessert more body - without the flour IMO the dessert would simply be a jelly or when beaten, a ? ? marshmallowy fluffy pudding.
It really is an easy economical and yummy dessert that can be served with any fruit and accompaniment of choice - cream, icecream, yoghurt or even, I guess, custard. :-))

raewyn64, Jan 30, 4:10am
Thanks so much for that i will certainly give it a try - my husband likes his desert :)

snapit, Jan 30, 9:20pm
You could make plum jelly as it seems that it is mainly plum juice strain the juice to remove the skins and bits and add cup of sugar to cup of juice and boil till you get the set test , bottle and seal.
You could make it as a jelly like jam by not straing it but it will have a lot of skin if you didn't mind that.I have juice from bottled plums but it had sugar in it snd we add it to cooked apples for breakfast or with youhury. Will try 245sam's recipe as often have bottling juices

jag5, Jan 30, 10:39pm
The majority of the syrup would be water, which needs to be boiled out for jam and jelly, so I don't think you would end up with much.But you could use it as a base for other jams and jellies, by adding other fruit.Stewed apples would be yummy in it too.

raewyn64, Jan 30, 11:04pm
Thanks everyone. I have just done stewed apples today so i think I weill use sam's recipe plus use the remainder for adding to the apple or yoghurt for deserts.
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

juliewn, Dec 23, 10:33am
Hi Raewyn..

For this summer now.. you could also add gelatine to the juice - use the ratio of gelatine to juice that's on the packet, to make a tangy and delicious jelly to go with icecream.. or place some of the juice in a glass and add lemonade or soda water for a refreshing drink.

raewyn64, Jan 30, 3:18am
Hi all

i have just filled 8 small bottles with stewed plums. I have also filled 2 jars with the juice that was left over as I did not want to throw it out.
The juice consists of just plum juice and the skins from the plums. I didn't add anything to the plums when I put them in the pot (they had been frozen straight off the tree) except a little water.
My question is can I use the juice to make plum jam! or can you think of anything else I can use the juice for!As I said it is currently in a couple of jars and I hope the lids are going to suck in when they cool down so the juice should be ok just as it is for a while but ideas would be great.
Thanks so much

245sam, Jan 30, 3:38am
raewyn64, here's a real oldie idea that my Mum often made to use the syrup from bottled/preserved fruit and I too have used it rather than waste the fruity flavoured syrup so maybe it would be a good use for your "juice".

CREAMY FRUIT WHISK
small jaror can of fruit
water
1 heaped dssp flour
2 dssp gelatine

Drain the jar (or can) and make the syrup up to 2 cups with water.
Mix the flour with some of the liquid and bring the remainder of the liquid to the boil.Add the flour and boil for 2 minutes, until thick, stirring constantly.Allow to cool slightly, still stirring, then pour the mixture on to the gelatine.Cool, then whisk for at least ¼ hour.Add the required amount of chopped fruit and pour the mixture into a serving dish to set.
Note:This can also be made with any juice from stewed fruit and no fruit added, or can be made with black coffee, sweetened to taste.

Hope that helps.:-))

raewyn64, Jan 30, 3:44am
Oh yes thanks for that. What is the purpose of the flour in it!

245sam, Jan 30, 4:06am
raewyn64, the flour slightly thickens the liquid, and seems to give the dessert more body - without the flour IMO the dessert would simply be a jelly or when beaten, a ! marshmallowy fluffy pudding.
It really is an easy economical and yummy dessert that can be served with any fruit and accompaniment of choice - cream, icecream, yoghurt or even, I guess, custard.:-))

snapit, Jan 30, 9:20pm
You could make plum jelly as it seems that it is mainly plum juice strain the juice to remove the skins and bits and add cup of sugar to cup of juice and boil till you get the set test , bottle and seal.
You could make it as a jelly like jam by not straing it but it will have a lot of skin if you didn't mind that.I have juice from bottled plums but it had sugar in it snd we add it to cooked apples for breakfast or with youhury. Will try 245sam's recipe as often have bottling juices

jag5, Jan 30, 10:39pm
The majority of the syrup would be water, which needs to be boiled out for jam and jelly, so I don't think you would end up with much.But you could use it as a base for other jams and jellies, by adding other fruit.Stewed apples would be yummy in it too.

raewyn64, Mar 11, 3:05pm
Thanks everyone. I have just done stewed apples today so i think I weill use sam's recipe plus use the remainder for adding to the apple or yoghurt for deserts.
Thanks for all the great suggestions.