Calling on all Juice experts

pollenys, Feb 8, 8:18pm
I have bough myself a juicer. Would like to know how can I prevent the apple juice to go brown. I have added 2 slices of lemon but it is not really helping. I tend to juice about a litre at a time as the cleaning operation is just too much to just juice a glass at a time. Does anyone have some tips please

rachthewinner, Feb 8, 8:24pm
Hi,

I've just brought an Angel juicer, I'd like to know as well, although it's pretty easy to clean! :DWhat brand did you get? Rachel

pickles7, Feb 8, 8:27pm
you must be juicing last years apples... not so much juice, makes for a slower process. .

jaybee2003, Feb 8, 8:33pm
All the info I have had or read onjuicing says you are best to juice fresh each time. Juices lose nutrients on standing. My favourite juice is: 3 carrots, 2 apples, 2 sticks of celery and a 5cm chunk of cucumber. Delicious.

pollenys, Feb 8, 8:37pm
i bought the breville juice fountain plus. very nice/not really hard to clean but time consuming if you need to do it a few times a day. I love the taste of fresh juice

pollenys, Feb 8, 8:39pm
LOL Im just lazy/want to have juice available when I want a quick drink

jaybee2003, Feb 8, 8:57pm
LOL. I am now in a habit of emptying and rinsing mine out immediately. Not only is it done and dusted, but stops carrot or beetroot from staining. Carrot in particular can stain plastics very quickly.

I don't know for sure, but I would have thought that the only way to stop apple juice from browning would be to add chemical preservatives - which to my mind defeats the purpose of a home juicer. Freshly juiced is so delicious, and so worth that 60 second effort to dismantle, empty and rinse.

rachthewinner, Feb 10, 8:54pm
I'll have to try that recipe jaybee! Yep, have to drink it straight away for the nutrients/enzymes still to be alive, they start dying off within a few hours. That's why I got the Angel... for the living juice, and it gets more out... cheaper in the long run :)The centrifugal types cut rather than crush, they also heat the juice & cook the nutrients!

rachthewinner, Feb 10, 8:56pm
Do you juice the leaves of the celery? :DI did some yesterday and man it was potent! LOL

sossie1, Feb 10, 9:16pm
i haven't really thought about anything going brown, i just chuck whatever i have got in, beetroot, apples oranges, carrots, lasts til next morning. scoop everything into compost bucket in kitchen, rinse and there you go

tinyted, Jul 17, 11:11pm
Just got a Breville juicer using my flybuys and it's great. Juicing 3 green apples 2 oranges 2 kiwifruit stick of celery (with leaves) 4 smaller carrots and peeled piece of ginger. Makes enough for 2 large glasses each morning, one for me and one for my son - delicious as the ginger gives it that extra kick! Waiting for some grapefruit to add too. My sister uses carrots apples ginger and 1 beetroot, but the latter is an acquired taste I think, too earthy for me. What does everyone else juice?

tinyted, Jul 19, 9:57pm
Bumping for more healthy juice recipes... ...

allurs, Jul 20, 12:57am
I've gota juicer 2, would love 2 use it! But sadly the vegies are now far too expensive to make drinks out of! especially since the drinks only last 2days! ! !

nauru, Nov 15, 8:16am
Carrot, apple & ginger is my favourite. Hubby likes celery in his instead of the ginger. I also juice up a heap of ginger & keep it in a bottle in the fridge to add to my tea (white tea, that is).