Any tricks for using fondant icing?

Page 1 / 2
broniemcm, Mar 24, 12:16am
So are there any tricks to using fondant icing? I have just brought myself some fondant icing to cover some cupcakes and small cakes I plan to make later today. I was wondering if there were any tricks to using it. Like good ways to colour it, as it is white, using liquid food colouring. Can I make shapes etc before hand? Etc. TYIA :)

turksta3, Mar 24, 12:26am
i was told tokneed it lots to warm it so more pliable.
I have a bday cake to do next month with it and never done before, but i do no to colour, use the gel colour and you only need a tiny amount but kneed it in on a board as will colour your bench to!!
I made shapes and they take a couple of days to dry hard. Its fun so just play round and enjoy

broniemcm, Mar 24, 12:35am
x1
This will be my first time using it too. Going to start with just some flat shapes on cupcakes, then might make some small cakes and try cover them. Just going to use my cupcake recipe in a cake tin. That should be ok right?

gardie, Mar 24, 3:11am
Use cooking spray to roll out - I find it so much better than using icing sugar or cornflour.And if you want black - use the black gel but try the chocolate/brown fondant or else you need to use an awful lot of gel.

kinna54, Mar 24, 3:42am
Basic rules are to soften or thin use corn syrup. To harden or dry add a dusting of cornflour as you roll.Before sticking on cakes, cover the area to be iced with some warm sieved apricot jam, it helps the icing to cling to the cake, just brush it over with a pastry brush. Fondant is awesome to use, just like rolling play dough! When you colour you use an eyedropper, knead and roll, knead and roll, to get the colour evenness.

lizab, Mar 24, 3:48am
I wouldn't ever use cooking spray to roll out fondant icing, I'd imagine you'd get greasy marks all over it? do you really use spray oil gardie??

kinna54, Mar 24, 3:58am
Roll out on a bench lightly dusted in cornflour. Use a trayor one of those bendable plastic cutting boards to roll on, if you are using colouring, otherwise you could stain the bench. Sit your fondant in a warmish place for a few mins before rolling.

chicco2, Mar 24, 4:36am
Cake decorator here. Cooking spray is the only thing to use. Scrub bench, hands and spray both, also spray rolling pin. Knead with sprayed hands.While rolling, lift often, dont turn over, spray bench as it gets sticky.
Adhere to cake or cupcakes with a little fondant that has been melted with some boiling water, this makes a great sticky glue, it also will stick things made of fondant together, ie; ears on a mouse or wings on a fairy. Gel colour is best.

lizab, Mar 24, 8:02am
OMG I can't believe that cooking spray works! I'm going to have to try it myself! Although, in saying that, I get great results by using cornflour or icing sugar. Why do you use cooking spray instead of cornflour or icing sugar? What made you change????? I'm so intrigued!!
many thanks
:)

b-m-w, Mar 24, 8:13am
Good news is fondant is coming out in all sorts of colours, my local shop says. Fondant is really hard to get an even colour through it needs loads of kneading and folding? I use rice flour as it is thinner, doing wedding cakes cornflour can leave marks on the fondant and icing sugar seems to dry it out?Spray oil helps slow the drying. I have put fondantin the microwave to soften, 10to 20 seconds, especially helps when trying to colour.When placing fondant on cakes, make sure you place on the top first and move your hand up not down, as you do the sides, will help prevent cracking..

chicco2, Mar 24, 6:43pm
I havent found the oil slows the drying time. Cornflour etc can leave marks, also, leaves white powder on coloured items. I used to use it years ago, but thank goodness times have changed. We also used to spend hours making piped lace and extension borders. (BBRRR shudders). I love modern cake decorating.

b-m-w, Mar 24, 7:54pm
Guess i should have been more clear with that comment, doesn't slow the overall drying of the fondant on the cake, just make the fondant a little more pliable to work with, gives you a little more time, depending on the temp in your kitchen also.

broniemcm, Mar 25, 12:16am
So are there any tricks to using fondant icing! I have just brought myself some fondant icing to cover some cupcakes and small cakes I plan to make later today. I was wondering if there were any tricks to using it. Like good ways to colour it, as it is white, using liquid food colouring. Can I make shapes etc before hand! Etc. TYIA :)

turksta3, Mar 25, 12:26am
i was told tokneed it lots to warm it so more pliable.
I have a bday cake to do next month with it and never done before, but i do no to colour, use the gel colour and you only need a tiny amount but kneed it in on a board as will colour your bench to!
I made shapes and they take a couple of days to dry hard. Its fun so just play round and enjoy

broniemcm, Mar 25, 12:35am
This will be my first time using it too. Going to start with just some flat shapes on cupcakes, then might make some small cakes and try cover them. Just going to use my cupcake recipe in a cake tin. That should be ok right!

lizab, Mar 25, 3:48am
I wouldn't ever use cooking spray to roll out fondant icing, I'd imagine you'd get greasy marks all over it! do you really use spray oil gardie!

lizab, Mar 25, 8:02am
OMG I can't believe that cooking spray works! I'm going to have to try it myself! Although, in saying that, I get great results by using cornflour or icing sugar. Why do you use cooking spray instead of cornflour or icing sugar! What made you change! I'm so intrigued!
many thanks
:)

b-m-w, Mar 25, 8:13am
Good news is fondant is coming out in all sorts of colours, my local shop says. Fondant is really hard to get an even colour through it needs loads of kneading and folding! I use rice flour as it is thinner, doing wedding cakes cornflour can leave marks on the fondant and icing sugar seems to dry it out!Spray oil helps slow the drying. I have put fondantin the microwave to soften, 10to 20 seconds, especially helps when trying to colour.When placing fondant on cakes, make sure you place on the top first and move your hand up not down, as you do the sides, will help prevent cracking.

b-m-w, Mar 25, 7:54pm
Guess i should have been more clear with that comment, doesn't slow the overall drying of the fondant on the cake, just make the fondant a little more pliable to work with, gives you a little more time, depending on the temp in your kitchen also.

ainsley1, Mar 27, 2:04am
I am planning on making my sons birthday cake soon, and he's into motocross. I was going to make a large mud cake, ice with buttercream icing and make a motocross logo (FOX) out of fondant to go on top. I've seen the coloured fondant and plan to use that, but I'd like to know if I make the logo decoration a day or so in advance will it harden enough? Also, should I ice the cake as above or buy another colour fondant and do the whole cake? First time cake decorating so not to sure what to use.

gardie, Mar 27, 2:07am
For sure - I used to use cornflour and/or icing sugar but now only ever use a cooking spray - there is never any evidence of oily marks and I would never go back now.I also use it on my hands when I'm working with the fondant if it is at all tacky.A quick spray then rub my hands together.I don't mean that you spray the bench till it's white - just a quick spray to lightly coat the surface.

gardie, Mar 27, 2:16am
Fondant does not go hard on its own - if you want it very hard, you need to add a hardening agent (sorry, can't think of name at mo).I usually make my bits and peices and store them in the hot water cupboard - they firm up but do not go hard (if you know what I mean).When doing a cake, I prefer to put fondant on the cake as well - if you don't, I feel that it looks only half done.The heaviness of the fondant decorations doesn't really go with the delicateness of the buttercream.Buttercream can be used as a base for the fondant - smooth it on then cool till firm before covering with the fondant (if you choose to go this way).Traditionally, all the little nooks and crannies on the cake were filled with tiny balls of fondant and then smoothed flat before covering with jam and putting on 2 coats of fondant.Thankfully, times have changed - we are happy to try different things these days.

ainsley1, Mar 27, 2:23am
Cool, thanks so much. Looks like I will be buying two lots of fondant then :-) I will try the hot water cupboard as I'm not too fussed if the decoration isn't super hard, but firm would be good. Fingers crossed it turn out!

lizab, Mar 27, 2:24am
thanks for that gardie - I will definitely try it next time I do a cake. I know what everyone means about the cornflour/icing sugar leaving marks. I'd be forever trying to brush the excess off!! I'm very grateful for the heads up on this (must tell my mum who does cake decorating in Scotland - she taught me how to do a bit of cake decorating, bet she's never heard of this either!!!)
Thanks again :)

ainsley1, Mar 28, 2:04am
I am planning on making my sons birthday cake soon, and he's into motocross. I was going to make a large mud cake, ice with buttercream icing and make a motocross logo (FOX) out of fondant to go on top. I've seen the coloured fondant and plan to use that, but I'd like to know if I make the logo decoration a day or so in advance will it harden enough! Also, should I ice the cake as above or buy another colour fondant and do the whole cake! First time cake decorating so not to sure what to use.