Do you put the almond fondant icing then white

amanda_simonp, Dec 10, 5:20am
fondant iciing on top of a xmas cake or just the almond icing!Can anybody help please.Thank you

sarahb5, Dec 10, 5:30am
I thought the almond was more of a paste (like marzipan) so you put the white fondant on top of that!

sarahb5, Dec 10, 5:38am

monkey_room, Dec 10, 5:43am
You first brush a bit of sieved jam or marmalade on to make a bit of a sticky surface ( this keeps it all together) and then you roll out the almond paste and apply that over the cake and use it to fill in any holes etc. I then brush some more light coloured sieved jam here and there on that to - keep it from sliding again.Then you put the Royal Icing or the White paste over that.

fifie, Dec 10, 6:00am
Brush cake with warmed apricot jam put your rolled out almond paste on, smooth it over with a piece of cardboard make sure it fits down sides if doing to bottom, trim edges. Leave to dry overnight, then brush with egg white that has been beaten a little, roll out fondant, roll round rolling pin lift on to cake and position (egg white will let you slide it to get right) when happy smooth out, trim let dry and decorate. Good luck, If using fondant you need almond paste under neath to hide the fruit then keep in a cool place so it dosen't sweat.

amanda_simonp, Dec 10, 8:14am
thank you, Mum and I put the apricot jam on the cake a beautiful traditional xmas cake, then I rolled out the almond icing and have covered the cake, so tomorrow, I will buy some white fondant tomorrow to put over the top (we had a feeling just the almond icing wasn't right)