Bacon and egg pie

Page 1 / 2
datto79, Mar 23, 1:28am
anyone have a quick easy nice recipe

kinna54, Mar 23, 2:22am
It's pretty basic really. If buying packet pastry it's on the wrapper.

lx4000, Mar 23, 4:06am
before adding the b and e, add grated cheese to the bottom to stop it going soggy.

lindylambchops1, Mar 23, 7:28am
The best egg & bacon pie I have ever made is :
INGREDIENTS

2 cups of Champion standard flour
Pinch of salt
Spoon of lemon juice
4 oz butter (grated)
Bacon
Eggs (say 6-9)
Cheese
Pepper and salt

Pre heat oven to the highest heat (yeah - maximum!), turn down to 200C.

PASTRY
Sift the flour, dig a well in the centre and add lemon juice. Add the grated butter.

Add water to the flour - until it makes a dough that you can roll out with a rolling pin

Stick in the fridge for 1/2 hour or so, then roll out and place in a greased tin - flour the bench and don't roll too long

FILLING
Sprinkle grated cheese on the bottom
Add bacon pieces cut into thumb sized sqaures
Add 6 whole eggs around inside the pie dish/tray
Sprinkle with cheese again
Add the last of the bacon and eggs
Add pastry top - jab holes and glaze with milk or egg.

Place pie in oven and cook for 20-30 minutes

male_timaru (443 )5:28 pm, Tue 22 Dec #3

onlyondacoast, Mar 23, 8:05am
I add a bit of cream to mine fluffs it up a bit gdluk

kinna54, Mar 24, 2:22am
It's pretty basic really. If buying packet pastry it's on the wrapper.

jcsolgier, Mar 24, 4:44am
I don't like cheese in mine - bacon and egg pie purest lol no corn or peas either!
I just buy the pastry cause I'm lazy, line a pie dish with it, break a dozen eggs into (mine is quite big) chop up 300g of bacon (or you can use it whole) and sprinkle/lay it on top of the egg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and use water or milk around the edges of the pastry to seal a top layer, poke a few holes in it and bake it at 180 till a knife comes out clean and pastry is browned. Easiest pie ever!

lindylambchops1, Mar 24, 7:28am
The best egg & bacon pie I have ever made is :
INGREDIENTS

2 cups of Champion standard flour
Pinch of salt
Spoon of lemon juice
4 oz butter (grated)
Bacon
Eggs (say 6-9)
Cheese
Pepper and salt

Pre heat oven to the highest heat (yeah - maximum!), turn down to 200C.

PASTRY
Sift the flour, dig a well in the centre and add lemon juice. Add the grated butter.

Add water to the flour - until it makes a dough that you can roll out with a rolling pin

Stick in the fridge for 1/2 hour or so, then roll out and place in a greased tin - flour the bench and don't roll too long

FILLING
Sprinkle grated cheese on the bottom
Add bacon pieces cut into thumb sized sqaures
Add 6 whole eggs around inside the pie dish/tray
Sprinkle with cheese again
Add the last of the bacon and eggs
Add pastry top - jab holes and glaze with milk or egg.

Place pie in oven and cook for 20-30 minutes

male_timaru (443 )5:28 pm, Tue 22 Dec #3

jcsolgier, Mar 25, 4:44am
I don't like cheese in mine - bacon and egg pie purest lol no corn or peas either!
I just buy the pastry cause I'm lazy, line a pie dish with it, break a dozen eggs into (mine is quite big) chop up 300g of bacon (or you can use it whole) and sprinkle/lay it on top of the egg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and use water or milk around the edges of the pastry to seal a top layer, poke a few holes in it and bake it at 180 till a knife comes out clean and pastry is browned. Easiest pie ever!

rover48, Mar 28, 8:56am
After putting the eggs and bacon in mine I always mix up another couple of eggs and some milk and pour it in, this fills up all the gaps....

nellbee, Mar 28, 9:39am
I'm a purist too - definitely no cheese! - and for me the eggs have to be whisked. Free range eggs and bacon, good flaky pastry, salt and pepper - and that's all. Yum...

nik12, Mar 28, 9:58am
Lol, you can't be a purist and whisk the eggs :-)

beaker59, Mar 28, 9:42pm
I ain't a purist in anything so my pies may contain cheeese, onion, tomato slices, chilli, corriander, tinned smoked oysters :)

trya few tinned smoked oysters in your next pie or some anchovy fillet pieces makes for a very tasty pie.

ferrit47, Mar 28, 9:51pm
Hey Beaker that sounds Really yummy.

lyl_guy, Mar 28, 10:10pm
"Almost" a purist.I use puff pastry, pricked all over on the bottom.Then in goes heaps of diced bacon, almost covering the bottom of the pie.Then lots of WHOLE eggs (FR).... and then, to spoil the 'purity', some thin, halved slices of tomato.Topped with pepper, salt, more pastry.DELICIOUS!!

g_k, Mar 28, 10:46pm
I'm nota purist either! I don't whisk my eggs but just prick them with a fork to break the yoke. For me it's plenty of bacon and a cup of carrots and peas, lots of eggs and what ever relish I have in the fridge. Last time I used a fig relish and it was beautiful. But how ever you have you're B&E pie a generous amount of salt and pepper is a must!

falcon-hell, Mar 29, 3:31am
thats how we have ours too,beautiful,no need to mess with the original,although in saying that,i don't mind other things in it,but my family like itjust bacon and eggs.

shane.64, Mar 29, 3:35am
Boil some potatoes cut them up small put them in the bottom then bacon then whole eggs not mixed on top. very filling

fisher, Mar 29, 3:40am
Sounds great beaker... some folks are simply just not adventurous enough to try things a little different... purist = same ole, same ole...lol:}

rover48, Mar 29, 8:56am
After putting the eggs and bacon in mine I always mix up another couple of eggs and some milk and pour it in, this fills up all the gaps.

nellbee, Mar 29, 9:39am
I'm a purist too - definitely no cheese! - and for me the eggs have to be whisked. Free range eggs and bacon, good flaky pastry, salt and pepper - and that's all. Yum.

nik12, Mar 29, 9:58am
Lol, you can't be a purist and whisk the eggs :-)

beaker59, Mar 29, 9:42pm
I ain't a purist in anything so my pies may contain cheeese, onion, tomato slices, chilli, corriander, tinned smoked oysters :)

trya few tinned smoked oysters in your next pie or some anchovy fillet pieces makes for a very tasty pie.

lyl_guy, Mar 29, 10:10pm
"Almost" a purist.I use puff pastry, pricked all over on the bottom.Then in goes heaps of diced bacon, almost covering the bottom of the pie.Then lots of WHOLE eggs (FR). and then, to spoil the 'purity', some thin, halved slices of tomato.Topped with pepper, salt, more pastry.DELICIOUS!

g_k, Mar 29, 10:46pm
I'm nota purist either! I don't whisk my eggs but just prick them with a fork to break the yoke. For me it's plenty of bacon and a cup of carrots and peas, lots of eggs and what ever relish I have in the fridge. Last time I used a fig relish and it was beautiful. But how ever you have you're B&E pie a generous amount of salt and pepper is a must!