Stevens cast iron skillet

momo21, Mar 22, 5:10am
Hiya, I just got one of these for my birthday (they were on special last week for $79.95 and my one is bright red) and I have to say, the surface looks non stick already. Do I need to cure it like instructions on the internet advise to? I am about to season and cure it after scrubbing it, but the last thing I want to do is ruin the pan. There were no instructions included and it weighs a good 4kg. Please advise if I should go ahead with the oven treatment or use as is..

beaker59, Mar 22, 5:56am
You can season on the stove element just oil it with your usual cooking oil or fat and then heat til smoking cool and rinse clean then repeat and start cooking you will find its adequately non stick to start but just gets better and better with use. Just wash with hot water and scourer never use detergents or soaps.

cookessentials, Mar 22, 6:39am
If I were you, I would be visiting Stevens and asking them. It MAY also be matt black enameled inside which means you do NOT season it.

cookessentials, Mar 22, 4:56pm
If you heat an enamelled cast iron pan till it's smoking you are going to be in big trouble and more than likely will be replacing the pan.

vashti, Mar 22, 7:56pm
Wouldn't it be a challenge if someone could do a program on TV.focusing on those on a limited budget who maybe have very little cooking skills.
Maybeideas for basic ingredients in the pantry, utensils, pots and pans.
Show the sequence of how to do things, such as making your own hamburgers. What to make with left overs.
Some people on here make up to three different meals from a chicken,I bet there would be a lot of small households that this would be of enormous interest.
A presenter that walks the walk, doesn't work or talk too fast and able to adapt quickly to feed back from the viewers.

beaker59, Mar 22, 8:27pm
I stand corrected I read it as cast Iron rather than enamelled. Just googgled it to check theres lots of advice on the net.

What I want to know though is how can you cook a steak in a pan you can't take up to smoking hot?

cookessentials, Mar 22, 8:46pm
If you want to cook a steak in an enamelled pan, you wont need it smoking hot. As you know, cast iron holds heat very well. I can sear beef very well in my enamelled cast iron casserole over a med/low heat before placing it in the oven. The other option, of course, would be to get an ordinary cast iron pan ( pre-seasoned is easier) specifically for steaks.

momo21, Mar 23, 5:10am
Hiya, I just got one of these for my birthday (they were on special last week for $79.95 and my one is bright red) and I have to say, the surface looks non stick already. Do I need to cure it like instructions on the internet advise to! I am about to season and cure it after scrubbing it, but the last thing I want to do is ruin the pan. There were no instructions included and it weighs a good 4kg. Please advise if I should go ahead with the oven treatment or use as is.

cookessentials, Mar 23, 6:39am
If I were you, I would be visiting Stevens and asking them. It MAY also be matt black enameled inside which means you do NOT season it. Hopefully, you will get someone there who knows what they are talking about to advise you.

cookessentials, Mar 23, 4:56pm
If you heat an enamelled cast iron pan till it's smoking you are going to be in big trouble and more than likely will be replacing the pan.

vashti, Mar 23, 7:56pm
Wouldn't it be a challenge if someone could do a program on TV.focusing on those on a limited budget who maybe have very little cooking skills.
Maybeideas for basic ingredients in the pantry, utensils, pots and pans.
Show the sequence of how to do things, such as making your own hamburgers. What to make with left overs.
Some people on here make up to three different meals from a chicken,I bet there would be a lot of small households that this would be of enormous interest.
A presenter that walks the walk, doesn't work or talk too fast and able to adapt quickly to feed back from the viewers.

beaker59, Mar 23, 8:27pm
I stand corrected I read it as cast Iron rather than enamelled. Just googgled it to check theres lots of advice on the net.

What I want to know though is how can you cook a steak in a pan you can't take up to smoking hot!