Gravy help.....

freelander06, Mar 20, 10:31pm
I have have a rolled lamb left over from last night....... I wanna cook it in some amazing delish gravy to have with mash tato tonight.

Can someone please give me some gravy idea's that are really tasty.

Cheers and Thanks.

rainrain1, Mar 20, 10:49pm
do you still have the juices from last nights lamb, drain off some of the fat, add water and thicken with flour or cornflour and water paste, salt to taste

freelander06, Mar 20, 11:21pm
Unfortunately not... so wanna make a tasty gravy from the beginning

jag5, Mar 21, 12:19am
Finely slice a couple of onions......fry off and brown in a little butter, add some brown sugar and caramelise, add water, gravy browning if needed, season with salt and pepper, thicken with cornflour and water.

freelander06, Mar 21, 12:23am
Yay thank you.....

shop-a-holic, Mar 21, 1:50am
Instead of water, use Campbells Real Stock. Either Beef or Chicken. Much tastier.

ant_sonja, Mar 21, 2:02am
Hi freelander - this might not be helpful for tonight as you probably won't have enough time but this is a basic recipe of mine that I use to make beef stock/gravy - it's handy to have in the freezer for use in a lot of different recipes and can be adapted to suit your needs :-)

Basic roast beef stock/Gravy recipe

Ingredients:

3kg Beef bones
2 large brown onions - chopped
3 Celery Stalks – chopped
3 carrots - chopped
Salt
Beef dripping or other fat/oil of your choice
Hot water
1 TBSP dried herbs such as Thyme and/or Marjoram & a handful of bay leaves
20 Peppercorns – crushed

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180°
Put the fat in a large roasting dish and add your onions, celery & carrots. Lay the beef bones on top and season well with salt.
Roast in oven until well browned and caramelized (about 1-2 hours give or take – you don’t want it burnt to a crisp so keep an eye on it)

Remove roasting dish from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
Put the bones and caramelized vegetables into a large pot.
Pour about 2 cups of hot water into the roasting dish, stirring and scraping to loosen any caramelized/baked on bits. Pour this off into the pot with your bones etc. and top up with hot water until just covered. Add herbs and peppercorns and bring to a boil.

Cook until liquid has reduced by about a third or more – the longer you cook this the more concentrated the result but don’t add any more water.
Remove bones and strain the liquid through a fine sieve. It should be a dark golden color.

From here you can simply freeze the liquid in portions, basically you have a roast beef stock, which is delicious, nutritious and handy to have on hand for a variety of dishes.

To make beautiful rich gravy, melt a good knob of butter in a pot and stir through about 1 TBSP of plain flour. Cook this on low heat, stirring well until the flour has turned a darker golden color. Now start adding your roast beef stock a little at a time, stirring well to avoid lumps. Turn the heat up a little and bring to a simmer still stirring frequently– the gravy will start to thicken; if too thick, add more stock. For the amount of Butter/flour given you’ll need around 300ml of the stock but this can depend on the flour used so by adding a little bit of stock at a time you will end up with your desired gravy consistency. Adjust seasoning if needed or add fresh herbs of your choice. You can also freeze this and simply re-heat when needed to accompany a meal.

This is an easy/cheap way to always have beef stock or gravy on hand even if no roast meat is being cooked. No need for packet/powdered/sachet ‘sauces’ – Simply take some time to make your roast beef stock in advance and keep it frozen in suitable smaller portions.
Enjoy ☺

freelander06, Mar 21, 10:31pm
I have have a rolled lamb left over from last night. I wanna cook it in some amazing delish gravy to have with mash tato tonight.

Can someone please give me some gravy idea's that are really tasty.

Cheers and Thanks.

freelander06, Mar 21, 11:21pm
Unfortunately not. so wanna make a tasty gravy from the beginning

jag5, Mar 22, 12:19am
Finely slice a couple of onions.fry off and brown in a little butter, add some brown sugar and caramelise, add water, gravy browning if needed, season with salt and pepper, thicken with cornflour and water.

freelander06, Mar 22, 12:23am
Yay thank you.

ant_sonja, Mar 22, 2:02am
Hi freelander - this might not be helpful for tonight as you probably won't have enough time but this is a basic recipe of mine that I use to make beef stock/gravy - it's handy to have in the freezer for use in a lot of different recipes and can be adapted to suit your needs :-)

Basic roast beef stock/Gravy recipe

Ingredients:

3kg Beef bones
2 large brown onions - chopped
3 Celery Stalks – chopped
3 carrots - chopped
Salt
Beef dripping or other fat/oil of your choice
Hot water
1 TBSP dried herbs such as Thyme and/or Marjoram & a handful of bay leaves
20 Peppercorns – crushed

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180°
Put the fat in a large roasting dish and add your onions, celery & carrots. Lay the beef bones on top and season well with salt.
Roast in oven until well browned and caramelized (about 1-2 hours give or take – you don’t want it burnt to a crisp so keep an eye on it)

Remove roasting dish from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
Put the bones and caramelized vegetables into a large pot.
Pour about 2 cups of hot water into the roasting dish, stirring and scraping to loosen any caramelized/baked on bits. Pour this off into the pot with your bones etc. and top up with hot water until just covered. Add herbs and peppercorns and bring to a boil.

Cook until liquid has reduced by about a third or more – the longer you cook this the more concentrated the result but don’t add any more water.
Remove bones and strain the liquid through a fine sieve. It should be a dark golden color.

From here you can simply freeze the liquid in portions, basically you have a roast beef stock, which is delicious, nutritious and handy to have on hand for a variety of dishes.

To make beautiful rich gravy, melt a good knob of butter in a pot and stir through about 1 TBSP of plain flour. Cook this on low heat, stirring well until the flour has turned a darker golden color. Now start adding your roast beef stock a little at a time, stirring well to avoid lumps. Turn the heat up a little and bring to a simmer still stirring frequently– the gravy will start to thicken; if too thick, add more stock. For the amount of Butter/flour given you’ll need around 300ml of the stock but this can depend on the flour used so by adding a little bit of stock at a time you will end up with your desired gravy consistency. Adjust seasoning if needed or add fresh herbs of your choice. You can also freeze this and simply re-heat when needed to accompany a meal.

This is an easy/cheap way to always have beef stock or gravy on hand even if no roast meat is being cooked. No need for packet/powdered/sachet ‘sauces’ – Simply take some time to make your roast beef stock in advance and keep it frozen in suitable smaller portions.
Enjoy ☺