GRAVY

yodagirl, Dec 21, 1:00am
Hi everyone, Im not keen on the flavours lately of packet gravy.I went to a buffett Xmas dinner at twiggers in CHCH, and they had the greatest tasting gravy (dark brown, so beefish I guess).Does anyone know where I could buy this gravy or how to make it?I'm guessing they wouldn't have made it from scratch???

Any other recipes very welcome also....I like rich, strong tasting gravy! lol

uli, Dec 21, 1:03am
Why not make your own gravy - it used to be made out of the juices left over from roasting a piece of meat (in the olden times - long before you - and Maggi - were born) ...

yodagirl, Dec 21, 1:11am
I have tried that, but am after this specific gravy, and have people that are unable to eat "pan gravy"

gardie, Dec 21, 1:44am
To remove the fat from pan gravy, pop a plastic bag into a small bowl and pour the juices into the bag.The fat will rise to the top.If you are making it ahead of time, refrigerate it but if you want to make it while still hot, hold the bag over the pot and then snip the corner a tiny bit.As soon as you can see that you are coming to the fat, quickly grab the bottom corner and lift it up to stop it going in.Know the corner and leave till cold then pop in the rubbish.Thicken your gravy.

In our local new world I saw English Ahhh Bisto in a round cardboard cyclinder - I was tempted but it was nearly $10 a box.Would love to know what it tastes like though.

ninascraft, Dec 21, 1:45am
Take a pot, drop in some butter or fat, and melt.Add a couple of spoons of flour,a couple of tsp ofmaggi Stock Powder, and a dash of soy sauce.Cook for a couple of mins then slowly add boiling water, or beef stock, beating well.cook till the consistancy you wish. Check for seasoning, and add salt pepper, or even (garlic salt, celery salt etc)Serve as usual.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 21, 2:13am
This year I made my gravy for the turkey in advance and it's in the freezer. On the day, I'll add in the pan juices, a splash of brandy and maybe a spoon of cranberry chutney. Saves heaps of time.

yodagirl, Dec 21, 2:57am
I'm guessing it was probably a catering style brand of gravy, as have had the same kind elsewhere.Wonder if trents sell it?

gardie, Dec 21, 3:02am
No doubt - and probably hard to get your hands on.Trouble is, you could buy something and find its not the right one then be stuck with a great big bag of it.Have you tried making gravy with water and bisto - it is very strong, might appeal to you.They have both dark and light.

And if its a really good restaurant, it is possible that they do make their own.

buzzy110, Dec 21, 3:32am
gardie. This is no criticism but I am very concerned about the use of a plastic bag and hot cooking juices. Are you sure that is what you mean? Do you mean to wait until the juices are cold before pouring into plastic bags?

I'm asking this because you may not be aware that plastic, in the presence of heat, gives off some rather nasty fumes and also leaches some truly dangerous compounds into the food. OK, so they won't kill you on the spot but there is a long term price to pay for such convenience.

dezzie, Dec 21, 5:08am
I think it was probably maggi beef jus, as far as I know the smallest amount you can buy is 4 x 300 gram packs, one pack makes 2 litres... the 4 pack is around $30 from memory...you can get it at trents.

luvkatz, Dec 21, 6:18am
Your such a self-righteous, know-it-all pain in the arse.

gardie, Dec 21, 7:49am
You wouldn't want to know about the time my darling hubby put the shepherds pie in the oven complete with its gladwrap cover then would you?After a quick scraping we ate it and it was absolutely delicious.

uli, Dec 21, 8:03am
Oh!

ferita, Dec 21, 8:29am
yeah right ...
hot food has been served in plastic containers for decades and no one has died

ferita, Dec 21, 8:29am
ha ha best post !!

cookessentials, Dec 21, 8:37am
yodagirl, the "Knorr" range of stocks etc could be what has been used as it is sold in fairly large catering containers. See the gravy recipe below.

http://www.knorr.co.uk/Recipes/Beef-Recipe/Rich-Beef-Gravy.aspx http://www.unileverfoodsolutions.co.nz/products/new_products/knorr_dry_relaunchthe NZ site gives you the various products available inclding jus and gravies.

pickles7, Dec 21, 10:07pm
I made my gravy last night. A pkt of chicken soup,cup of extra water, thickened , soy sauce to make it nice and brown. It is now frozen. I have used other soup mixes in the same way, all are nice.

fisher, Dec 21, 10:48pm
maybe in your household...:}

cookessentials, Dec 21, 11:46pm
I'm a pan gravy girl. Use the giblets ( if you are lucky enough to get them with your bird) for a great chicken gravy. I always add a good dash of red wine for a dark gravy and a white wine for a light gravy.

suzanna, Dec 21, 11:53pm
Go Luvkatz...gotta luv it! The power of acceptance is a great thing....

sticky232, Dec 3, 8:15am
Well i will be heading the day before christmas and get some pottles of just gravy from kfc that is what i use for my turkey save me time everyone loves it