"Beef steak"-is it a slow cooker like gravy beef

minn1, Feb 21, 10:37pm
I'v got a homekill beast in the freezer, and have always wondered exactly what the packages of 'beef steak' is, and how to cookit. I'v previously casseroled it like gravy beef etc, but now I am wondering if I can pan fry or grill it like regular steak. Theres the boxs of fillet and rump etc, but I wondering if this maybe smaller pieces that arent deserving of their own box (awww) but can still be fast cooked.There are packages of gravy beef,-so if this isnt the same, why have they been named differently..thats waht got me wondering. Be glad of any tips :)

erewhon04, Feb 21, 10:44pm
I suggest you go back to the butcher who processed it for you, ask what the cut is, and find out from him/her whether it could be fast-cooked. I'm wondering if it's what the supermarket calls 'tenderised steak' in which case I guess a quick hot fry might work.

minn1, Feb 21, 10:55pm
I think the tenderised steak in the super markets has been belted,...it's always got the wee holes from some kind of mallet in it, this doesnt'- looks just like regular steak. Maybe I will have to have a trial n error night-and have something on standby if it's a chewy disaster lol.

fifie, Feb 21, 11:34pm
Not sure what that cut is but according to meat cuisine beef steak is good braising steak so would be suitable for casseroles or crockpot cooking.
http://www.meatcuisine.co.nz/Nutrition/Cooking+Methods.html

minn1, Feb 22, 1:34am
thanks fifie-i never thought of googling,..maybe I should stick to casserolling then.......hmmm.....do I feel wickedly brave (stupid) or not......:)

beaker59, Feb 22, 6:48am
A trick I often use with mystery meat (something I occasionally get because I am a hunter and amatuer home butcher) is to fry a small piece and try it sometimes its the best way. Then decide what you will do with it either fry or casserole or even mince (a cheap hand mincer is my most useful appliance sometimes :).

dezzie, Feb 22, 7:52am
I'd vote for ringing your homekill man as well, just ask him, hes no doubt putting those labels on everyones beasts, if you give him a tweak about it, he might get labels that are a bit more helpful.