Mixed vegetable pickle

elliehen, Jan 27, 11:01am
http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html

Adding jessie's Bean Relish and bumping this thread as the pickling vegetable harvest gets underway.

propagator, Jan 28, 12:45am
Do you mean the Chinese mixed pickle!

elliehen, Jan 28, 12:54am
"The term 'chow-chow' is reportedly based on the French word chou for cabbage. A further possible source of the name is the ingredient chayote, which is itself known as chow chow in India. The name is sometimes used interchangeably with piccalilli."

daylite1, Mar 15, 2:24pm
I would like to make some jars of mixed vegetable pickle - the sort with vinegar and whole spices added to the mix and the veg still crunchy. I've had no luck trawling the internet for recipes so far. Has anyone got a nice, tried and true recipe please?

jessie981, Mar 15, 4:04pm
Mixed Pickle (Aunt Daisy)
3lb green tomatoes
6lb sm onios
2 or 3 cucumbers
3 sm cauliflowers
1 sm cabbage
1/2 gallon vinegar
1/2lb sugar
spices to taste
brine to cover
Slice tomatoes, remove ends from cucumbers & cut into smpieces. Peel onions, shred cabbage, separate cauliflower into sm flowerettes. Put all into a large basin, cover with brine & leave overnight.
Drain & rinse well with cold water. Dry. Pack into jars & cover with vinegarboiled with spices & sugar. Cover & store. Ready in several weeks.
A little golden syrupmay be boiled with vinegar & spices (opt)

fifie, Mar 15, 7:39pm
x1
Chow Chow Pickle. This is like the piccalilli one you buy. Digby Laws recipe.
2 kg prepared mixed vegs, cauliflower cut into small florets, sliced green beans peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber, brocolli small florets, sliced celery or chopped green tomatoes. 250 gr onions sliced. 2 teaspoons tumeric, 1/4 cup salt, 2 litres water, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour. 2 tablespoons mustard, 1 teaspoon celery seeds, 4 1/2 cups white vinegar.
Place the prepared vegs in a saucepan cover with salt and water let stand overnight.
Next day heat slowly to boiling point simmer 5 minutes, drain well in a colander.
In another saucepan combine sugar, flour, tumeric, mustard, and celery seeds. Mix to a paste with some of the vinegar then add remainder of vinegar. Slowly bring to the boil simmer a few minutes stir constantly. Add to vegtables mix well and bottle in clean hot jars and seal.
Makes about 4 litres.

daylite1, Mar 16, 2:20am
Ohh, thank you. both of those sound yummy.

daylite1, Mar 16, 2:24pm
I would like to make some jars of mixed vegetable pickle - the sort with vinegar and whole spices added to the mix and the veg still crunchy. I've had no luck trawling the internet for recipes so far. Has anyone got a nice, tried and true recipe please!