How to grow the biggest potato? Help us win a comp

Page 2 / 2
jbsouthland, Mar 9, 8:06pm
My Dad and Stepmum as an annual event thru Working mens Club plant a Spud as Fundraising for Hospice... big event..each year.Buy Spud...take home ...plantin special container ( 1/2 barrel specially labelled and awaiting with tasty nutrients) then X months later they all get together in groups and travel around ( with sober driver ) and dig up each others spuds with drinkies included and weighed ...Then raffledback at WMC as all proceeds back to theHospice.

jbsouthland, Mar 9, 8:10pm
Very very late down South but maybe different your end of Country ...or is that part of the fun ....Spud growth stunted...??!!

purplegoanna, Mar 10, 1:48am
on cold nights and days put a plastic bag over the ground to keep the heat in until they show thru the soil..

buzzy110, Mar 10, 7:57am
stasi, I have just had a thought. I hope that the harvesting will be done by each group in front of the other groups. There is always the possibility that one group could go and buy their 'big' spud from the shops. LOL. Are you all using the same variety of potato to ensure a level playing field!

stasi21, Mar 10, 7:51pm
Hahaha.Buzzy, so funny you should say that. Yep, its in our big list of rules. The other two couple did a chilli growing comp last year and there were some "allegations" of cheating, so its in the rules for this year's competition that we are going to have a "dig up" day and we will all go to each other's places and observe the harvesting.

Yes, we are using the same seed potatoes, they all came from the same bag and we took turns picking each potato out.lol

To be honest, Im not going to be overly upset if we lose, as I absolutely love cooking, so hosting a four course meal for everyone would actually be fun, plus if its at our place, we don't have to worry about either me or hubby being a sober driver, so its almost convenient. Of course winning would be great, but its all just a bit of fun really.

purplegoanna, Mar 10, 7:53pm
chook poo & sheep poo and a good dose of comfrey leaves under the spud when you plant it.

stasi21, Mar 10, 7:54pm
We planted our potatoes on Tuesday, so fingers crossed! Used potato food from Mitre 10, is it too late to use Rootblast as well I wonder!

Its been really cold at nights and in the morning in Auckland at the moment, so really hope it warms up, so our little spuds have a chance

jbsouthland, Mar 10, 8:06pm
My Dad and Stepmum as an annual event thru Working mens Club plant a Spud as Fundraising for Hospice. big event.each year.Buy Spud.take home .plantin special container ( 1/2 barrel specially labelled and awaiting with tasty nutrients) then X months later they all get together in groups and travel around ( with sober driver ) and dig up each others spuds with drinkies included and weighed .Then raffledback at WMC as all proceeds back to theHospice.

jbsouthland, Mar 10, 8:10pm
Very very late down South but maybe different your end of Country .or is that part of the fun .Spud growth stunted.!!

purplegoanna, Mar 11, 1:48am
on cold nights and days put a plastic bag over the ground to keep the heat in until they show thru the soil.