Ive made leek & potato soup but it needs something

Page 1 / 2
elliehen, Jan 28, 11:57pm
Bumping this as soup season approaches to draw attention to a local handcrafted Miso made from non-GM soybeans.

Auction number: 444052340

kokopuff, Jan 29, 12:03am
What about trying lemon juice, i use it in my shrimp chowder and it helps bring out the flavor.

fisher, Jan 29, 2:15am
vintagekitty. here's my version. anything in it you think might help.!

Creamy Leek and Potato Soup
Ingredients:
4large leeks sliced into 4cm pieces.2potatoes peeled and thinly sliced . 1onion peeled and thinly sliced.1/2 cup butter.
salt and black pepper . 2cloves. 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley to use as garnish.1 ltre stock OR 1 litre water with 2 oxo chicken cubes.
130ml fresh cream.
Method:
Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the leeks, onion and potatoes over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add cloves, salt and pepper.
Add the water and the stock cubes and stir to dissolve. Cover and let it simmer gently for 30-40 minutes.Remove cloves and put through a blender.
Reheat and let simmer for five minutes.Stir in the cream and spoon into heated soup bowls.Garnish with sprinkle of parsley.

dbab, Jan 29, 2:27am
At the Field days in hamilton last year they were giving away small cups of potato soup. The recipe came with it. It had a pinch of cayenne pepper in it which gave it just enough oomph.

supercook, Jan 29, 4:20am
Veggie stock cubes (good favour) I think it's oxo in a green box. Use them in veggie soup or pumpkin soup.

elliehen, Jan 29, 4:32am
The best vegetable stock cube is an all-natural Aussie brand called Massel.I buy them regularly and have noticed that Countdown has them at half the price of New World (regular prices).Approx $3.70 instead of $6.70.

Massel Ultracube stock cubes (Vegetable), made in Australia - has an Aussie flag top left on the pack and is:
Natural (flavour profile is obtained solely from natural, vegetable ingredients)
No preservatives
Gluten free
Lactose free
Trans fat free
Cholesterol free
No animal content
No added MSG

Contains 10 cubes, makes 5 litres and is very flavoursome

Edited to add:Massel makes Beef, Chicken etc too

vintagekitty, Jun 21, 2:12am
to make it a little more flavoursome. Im not to keen on potatoes so it could be that!.
I fried off bacon and red onion, then softened a couple of leeks with garlic, added a box of chicken stock, popped the bacon and onion back in with a bay leaf, heaps of cracked pepper, added diced potato. Smells good but what else can I add?

I will serve with french bread with melted parmesan.

westigal, Jun 21, 2:44am
My new find for this year has been Miso, made a vegetable soup a couple of weeks ago that was lacking something so decided to put a couple of sachet fuls of miso in it, made all the difference, use it in all my soups now.
I just buy the sachet packs but I believe you can get it in jars as well

susieq9, Jun 21, 3:44am
It may need a little more salt to bring the flavours together.

litedelites, Jun 21, 3:44am
Have you tasted it? this sounds good, but maybe add a little salt if not enough from the chicken stock.

vintagekitty, Jun 21, 4:06am
Miso sounds interesting, but I dont have any. I just chopped up some parsley and it tastes a bit more "interesting". Actually ive blended it up and popped it back in the pot it tastes better after leaving it ontop of the Aga, than when I first made it.

vintagekitty, Jun 21, 4:07am
I used premade campbells stock, I find it quite salty anyway

r-mvz, Jun 21, 4:17am
Add celery and parsley.

lcltd, Jun 21, 5:08am
Try a little fish sauce- I use it in lots of things and it adds a touch of saltiness as well as an added depth of flavour.

rainrain1, Jun 21, 5:21am
Add 1tsp of curry powder

alewis, Jun 21, 5:27am
sour cream or cream cheese to give it a creamy taste

elliehen, Jun 21, 5:46am
I mix milk powder with a small quantity of water and add before serving.

andy_563, Jun 21, 5:58am
I'll second that... Watercress is amazing in soups to IMO, go raid your local stream

kinna54, Jun 21, 6:19am
also if you want a bit of a creamier taste, when you reheat the soup, add some warmed milk,(hot but not quite boiling)usually about 1/2 - 3/4 cup is about right. Do not allow the soup to boil once the milk is added.Stir in well and simmer 1 -2 mins and serve.

suz71, Jun 21, 6:31am
always use milk in soups water is tasteless and milk still thins but creamy

rainrain1, Jun 21, 6:40am
Well I will have to disagree, soup can be just as delicious without milk or cream

lindylambchops1, Jun 21, 6:42am
May daughter introduced me to Miso it is awesome!

lindylambchops1, Jun 21, 6:42am
Curry powder adds a bit of umph!

elliehen, Jun 21, 6:48am
I like Miso too, but be wary of the cheaper sachets - they have added MSG.

timetable, Jun 21, 6:49am
chopped up cooked bacon always gives a lovely flavour or a can of creamed corn is nice too....