Leek and Potato Soup, Help please

franny8, May 30, 4:47am
Have just made a pot of leek and potato soup (haven't made it before) and as I live on my own want to freeze some in smaller containers. The recipe says to let it cool and put it through a blender which I have just done and then add milk and/or cream and reheat. Question is as I am going to freeze most of it do I still add the milk and/or cream before I freeze or when I thaw it out and want to eat. Many thanks.

rainrain1, May 30, 5:15am
I freeze my soup after I've added the milk or cream. it's ok after reheating. no problems.

davidt4, May 30, 5:26am
It really doesn't matter. I would tend to leave the milk/cream until the reheating stage simply because without it the soup will take up less space in the freezer.

samanya, May 30, 5:58am
Same here.
I have yet to find a recipe that I really love for leek & potato soup though, the ones that I have tried are a bit bland.
I have a pile of leeks in the garden & atm, chicken& leek pie wins over soup & they freeze well too.

franny8, May 30, 10:59am
Thanks for you help.

rainrain1, May 30, 7:14pm
Leek and Potato Soup

1 Tblsp butter
3 small rashers bacon
3 medium leeks sliced thinly
1 Kg potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
2 litres of chicken or vegetable stock
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan
Heat oil in large saucepan, add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally till crisp. Remove from pan.
Add leeks, cook, stirring for about 5 minutes till tender.
Add potatoes and stock and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 45minutes.
Remove from heat, cool slightly.
Using stick blender, process until thick and chunky. (recipe says thick and chunky, but I probably would go with smooth cause I like it that way)
Add cooked bacon to soup and reheat until it is hot.
season to taste.

Don't blame me if it's not nice, because I haven't tried it, but it reads yummy!

jbsouthland, May 30, 7:20pm
Yum . love leek and potato soup. lots of chicken stock

samanya, May 30, 11:39pm
thanks rainrain, that sounds tastier than the recipes I've tried . the bacon & parmesan would give it more flavour.

cosimo, May 31, 8:55am
I didn't have chicken stock on hand when I went to the pantry, do used beef stock instead. Bad mistake - the soup tastes of stock!

rainrain1, Jun 1, 11:36pm
My mother would have called you a silly sausage for doing that

ritebuy, Jun 2, 2:47am
garnish with chopped leeks dry well shake in bag with corn flour then fry This topping is great on fish pie also

cosimo, Sep 9, 1:52am
She would have been right.