Ive made leek & potato soup but it needs something

Page 2 / 2
esther-anne, Jun 21, 6:54am
I would suggest nowhere near enough leek or onion in your soup OP!

I am not a brilliant cook like many on here but my leek and potato soup is considered quite special by those who have tried it.I use two large onions (brown not red) and at least four leeks (five if they are very thin). I use the old fashioned oxo cubes for the stock if I have none of my own available. I have tried all the 'real stock' liquid ones and find them all too salty-if my vegetarian son is eating I use vegetarian stock cubes, otherwise chicken.I cut the potatoes (and I like Agria or redjackets for this) in thin slices and I never puree the soup - I very superficially and roughly mash it all when tender - (and I simmer as slowly as possible for quite a long time - you can't hurry it lol)-because all my family enjoy it 'chunky'.
It does need some salt of course - and in this soup I use only white pepper, black doesn't quite do the job here - and what makes it have a lovely flavour half a teaspoon of ground coriander.

Serve with a dessertspoon of cream in the bottom of each dish and liberally sprinkled with chopped chives and parsley.

jazzy6, Jun 21, 9:00am
add in a tin of whole kernel corn..yummy!

lynv, Jun 21, 9:16am
Always add grated cheese to mine to give it that extra something.Blue vein cheese is also nice crumbled in, adds a stronger flavour.

elliehen, Jun 21, 9:44am
esther-anne, I'm with you here.I've discovered through trial and error that unless you have lots of leek (and less onion) you end up with leek-flavoured mashed potato.

mkbooks, Jun 21, 11:56pm
I stir in 2-3 tablespoons of skim milk powder-gives creamy consistency without the fat

vintagekitty, Jun 22, 2:12am
to make it a little more flavoursome. Im not to keen on potatoes so it could be that!.
I fried off bacon and red onion, then softened a couple of leeks with garlic, added a box of chicken stock, popped the bacon and onion back in with a bay leaf, heaps of cracked pepper, added diced potato. Smells good but what else can I add!

I will serve with french bread with melted parmesan.

litedelites, Jun 22, 3:44am
Have you tasted it! this sounds good, but maybe add a little salt if not enough from the chicken stock.

timetable, Jun 22, 6:49am
chopped up cooked bacon always gives a lovely flavour or a can of creamed corn is nice too.

esther-anne, Jun 22, 6:54am
I would suggest nowhere near enough leek or onion in your soup OP!

I am not a brilliant cook like many on here but my leek and potato soup is considered quite special by those who have tried it.I use two large onions (brown not red) and at least four leeks (five if they are very thin). I use the old fashioned oxo cubes for the stock if I have none of my own available. I have tried all the 'real stock' liquid ones and find them all too salty-if my vegetarian son is eating I use vegetarian stock cubes, otherwise chicken.I cut the potatoes (and I like Agria or redjackets for this) in thin slices and I never puree the soup - I very superficially and roughly mash it all when tender - (and I simmer as slowly as possible for quite a long time - you can't hurry it lol)-because all my family enjoy it 'chunky'.
It does need some salt of course - and in this soup I use only white pepper, black doesn't quite do the job here - and what makes it have a lovely flavour half a teaspoon of ground coriander.

Serve with a dessertspoon of cream in the bottom of each dish and liberally sprinkled with chopped chives and parsley.

jazzy6, Jun 22, 9:00am
add in a tin of whole kernel corn.yummy!

elliehen, Jun 22, 9:44am
esther-anne, I'm with you here.I've discovered through trial and error that unless you have lots of leek (and less onion) you end up with leek-flavoured mashed potato.