Potato Fritters

shazwyllie2, May 9, 4:34am
x1
Does anyone know how to master making these, I am talking about the ones with grated potato, onion and eggs?

tabitha, May 9, 4:38am
I make mine with grated potato, egg, salt & pepper. Put spoonfuls into pan with hot oil, & flatten with back of spoon so fritter is open in places. Cook both sides =crisp & very more-ish!!!!

theanimal1, May 9, 4:40am
my trick is to squeeze as much fluid out of the potatoes first, as i find they dont crisp up enough for us.

korbo, May 9, 5:25am
That is similar to what my mum used to make for us and called them mock whitebait fritters. Think they had a bit of flour and BP in as well.
loved them cold inbetween white bread. didnt taste so good with brown.might make some for dinner actually, to go with our fish.

motorbo, May 9, 5:30am
ahh yes i remember them korbo...nice memories of my Mum, been thinking about her alot today

rainrain1, May 9, 5:34am
Yum they are super duper cooked that way, tomorrow nights tea perhaps?

shazwyllie2, May 9, 7:23am
Yeah my mum used to make damn good ones and every time I try to make them they just dont turn out the same.

korbo, May 9, 7:50am
I noticed in the latest edmonds book the recipe is not to be found.
So if anyone has the older books, could they put recipe up here.??
mum always put parsley in and they didnt taste the same if she left it ou.t

ridgeline, May 9, 9:01am
We grate the potato and as a previous reader has stated, squeeze the moisture out by pressurising between your hands. We mix with a beaten egg, a little self raising flour, grated cheese and salt/pepper. Cook in pan greased lightly as fritters. Keep the fritters quite thin.

Can add if you wish instead of cheese a little sardine and they become "mock white bait" fritters.

Good Luck

ridgeline, May 9, 9:03am
PS - finely chopped onion added with cheese is also very nice