?????CHRISTCHURCH QUAKE FUNDRAISING COOKBOOK?????

Page 2 / 7
valentino, Mar 4, 3:25am
Could imagine a line at the bottom of each page..... just give that more in it's meaningness perhaps and at the same time a wee light-hearted added humour.

Cheers.

barnes-55, Mar 4, 3:27am
Sections ... try a "dairy free" section to go with the gluten free one.

Definitely prefer A5 size ... anything larger is just too awkward on the bench, and wire bound as they tend to fall apart less.

juliewn, Mar 4, 3:30am
I agree with the A5 size and spiral bound..

Phil.. thanks for posting the link.. I've just read the thread aloud, and we've laughed and cried.. we're thinking of everyone there..

pixiegirl, Mar 4, 3:31am
Thanks for that barnes-55
Keep suggestions coming.

Many thanks

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 3:32am
Thanx so much for your enthusiasm and positiveness everyone, the TM family spirit is alive and well.What do you think of a "budget recipes" chapter too?Requests for budget meal recipes often come up on this MB ....Also your thoughts and feedback appreciated on black & white vs colour - b/w much cheaper to produce (so easier to get costs covered perhaps?) and if we went with photographs, often b/w look even more professional.B/w not so good for food photos?

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 3:39am
Jackpot Valentino ... great idea xxx

herika, Mar 4, 5:18am
Hi pixiegirl and fastlanez,
Im happy to give you one of my recipes.Its on the Hubbards website in the recipe section and is called Banana Goldies:
150g dairy free margarine, 1/3 cup golden syrup, 2 tlbsps White Clover Honey, 2 cups Hubbards Thank Goodness Cereal, 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup coconut, 1/2 cup raw sugar, 1 mashed banana.
Melt the margarine with the golden syrup and honey until only just boiling.
Blend 1 tsp of Baking Soda and 2 tlbsp of boiling water and add to margarine mix.
Add the above mixture into the dry ingredients and mix in the mashed banana.
Shape into small sized golf balls and gently flatten with a fork.
Place on baking paper lined tray and bake at 175oC for 10-15mins
Remove from oven and cool on a rack.For a crisper biscuit cook a little longer.
Gluten and dairy free.
All the best for the cook book, its a great idea!

redflag, Mar 4, 5:30am
awesome ideas! i will def be buying a few when they are out!!

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 5:32am
Herika, might have to ask Hubbards if they'll sponsor the page with that recipe on LOL ...looks like a great recipe.Keep 'em coming folks ......

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 5:47am
I think's its a great option to include selling to Australia, I know of a few lurking on these boards who are living over there.We'll put our thinking caps on! ...kid friendly meals is a great idea, thanks.

charlieb2, Mar 4, 5:59am
Awww.. gee.. What a lovely idea..... Its so heart warming to know of all the efforts our fellow kiwis are putting in for 'us' down here in Cantab.......

wellyamerican, Mar 4, 9:03am
Love this idea, would certainly be buying a copy for myself, you guys ROCK

lindylambchops1, Mar 4, 9:36am
I am very alarmed to see this message thread appearing at Stack of Recipes
& many other messages from TM.Please be aware!!!!!

pickles7, Mar 4, 9:52am
why????

pickles7, Mar 4, 10:09am
copyright issues come about when recipes are sold. So many recipes on trade me are printed from cook books.You could do better to donate the 1 ,2 ,or 3 thousand dollars it would cost to print the books, to a specific cause. Plunket, as one example, meals on wheels, may be.

lindylambchops1, Mar 4, 10:12am
It bothers me that everything we type here seems to appear on Stack of Recipes website.Why is this?????

charlieb2, Mar 4, 10:15am
I dont mean to sound rude lindylambchops, but the stack of recipes thing has been debated since it began about a year ago.... Yes is horrible, but it seems nothing can be done.I started a post on Stack of recipes protesting at their fraudulances and got barred from posting on the site!! lol.

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 8:34pm
You're right Pickles, copyright is a big concern, and something we definitely DON'T want to breach.Thanks for bringing this back to the fore, we should keep stressing this so that it stays uppermost in people,s minds.

In terms of donating elsewhere instead. Say, for example, it cost $10000 in materials alone (just plucking figures out of the air here!) to make the books and say, we sell them for $30000.Wouldn't you feel great if your donation of $10000 to Chch was turned into a donation of $30000 by people adding time & effort?Value added by TM family!

Yes, some of the people purchasing the books will have donated the money to Chch anyway, and I suspect most if not all of these people already have, and will continue to AS well as buy a book, judging from some of the feedback already.

Here's the clincher for me:IF we can get 100% donated costs from companies and individuals - and we add value to their donation, and then we hope we are combining donations from the business, private and TM community - sometimes the whole sum can build momentum and be greater than the individual parts.

I do recognise that we all have differing opinions, and also, I'm not right there in Chch so very willing to listen to other's opinions, and I do thank you for raising these topics for discussion.xxxx

a_n_h, Mar 4, 8:40pm
I love this idea. I prefer A5 and spiral bound too. Sits on the beanch easier.

I havent really got any recipes. But I am more then happy to help in any other way.

Chapters could be-

Budget meals
Soups/stews/casseroles
Starters
Quick Meals (like from start to table in say 30 mins)
Gulten free
Dairy free
Snacks
Kid Friendly
Baking - cakes, cookies, slices, brownies
The usual - chicken, fish, meat chapters
Pasta
Puddings/Deserts

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 9:03pm
Hello to our TradeMe family,

we're so excited to share a fundraising project idea for the people of Christchurch, and to ask for your assistance in a small or large way to help bring the cookbook to it's most successful possible outcome.

THE OBJECTIVE
to put together a cookbook filled with recipes from the TradeMe community (with everyone's permission), we aim to produce the book at ZERO cost, aiming for 100% of the proceeds will go to a yet to be decided Christchurch organisation so that 100% of what we raise will directly impact Christchurch and assist with helping/rebuilding

WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
1.Get as many people on board as possible.Many hands make light work.Everyone has their own talents and abilities in different areas.Many TM recipe boarders will have useful contacts that they may be able to rope in to assist or ask to donate their services/product!Most importantly, we'd like this cookbook to be a group effort, bringing the TM community together in the TM spirit we share and enjoy on the boards.Ambitious! yes!Achievable!Hell, yes!

2.Offer your feedback on the cookbook concept:all ideas are valuable.Being a democratic project, we want to listen to all thoughts, and go ahead with the majority idea where we can.Another aim: to be completely open and transparent throughout the process.Feedback required so far:

* should the cookbook be A5 (eg Edmonds) size, or A4 (eg Alison Holst) size

* sell price: we are thinking of $15 per book for A5 size . or $25 per book for A4 size!discounts for multiple purchases!

* do you prefer cookbooks that are "perfect bound" eg. Alison Holst style, or wire bound (that open flat) egEdmonds

* what recipe chapters should we include!Take a look at Pixiegirls earlier thread about this project . and then offer feedback on other categories:eg Celebrity recipes,Camping recipes.
Please note: to include all the TM community, we are very keen to have Vegetarian, Gluten Free and Low Carb chapters

* Illustrations in the cookbook - photos of Christchurch!Before the quake, after the quake, or both! Your thoughts are welcome.

* Title for the cookbook - what's a great name for the book!

* Quotes/facts re: the earthquake, Christchurch.We want to focus on Christchurch, we don't want to glorify but to produce this book as a memorial or a little piece of history, but in a very sensitive and supportive way
. for example, if a recipe fills 3/4 of a page, we could have a footnote on that page which could be, for example, a quote from people of interest (with permission), or a snippet of facts, sprinkled thru the book eg " xxxx number of teams arrived from Australia to assist with search and rescue" . or "xxxx muffins were baked in the first week by xxxxxx support group"etc

* what resources, talents, services are you able to assist with!Who can you ask to help us!Which leads us to number 3: .

fastlanenz, Mar 4, 9:07pm
3.Gather supporters:

* we need recipe contributors, we require permission from the source of each recipe.We'd love for this book to be filled with popular recipes that appear on the TM recipe board.Obviously, we don't want ANY copyright issues, and will err heavily on the side of caution to avoid any risk in this area.

* celebs: do you know of a celebrity who would like to add some extra sparkle to the book with their recipe contribution!I know John Key has contributed to other cookbooks, if we ask, the worst is they can only say no!

* photos: if we go ahead with this idea, do you know of a photographer who might have photos of prominent Chch buildings, parks, sites of interest!Kids Creations have produced cookbooks in the past with combinations of modelling photos and recipes, or scenery and recipes. this can be done!
(Kids Creations has a library of food photos they will share, and are happy to cook and photograph other recipes if required)

* we need assistance with typing the recipes out.Don't worry too much about spelling, just an accurate recipe in regards to ingredients, quantities, and method.

* formatting: we have a offer from Kids Creations - they will donate their time to enter recipes into a cookbook template and design cover, format photos and all the book.

* proof-reading - an offer from Kids Creations to proof - a 5 step process, and get a second proofing from their local spelling/grammar police (school principal who is also a foodie)

* paper:donation of the paper to be sourced - can you help!Kids Creations will ask their supplier, any other sources!

* printing: donation of printing to be sourced - can you help, we will ask our contacts too!

* binding: this could be part of the printing process (above) . if not, Kids Creations will ask their supplier if they will donate the binds, Kids Creations are offering their time to bind the books for free

* freight: sending the books to salespeople around NZ . do you have contacts with freight companies! Kids Creations will ask their supplier for free delivery to 8 or 10 cities around NZ . any other help!

* selling the book:we require responsible contacts in each main centre to oversee the selling of the book. This is a position of trust where we would supply 20 or 50 books for the co-ordinator to sell and return monies to the fund .eg: any retail outlets that reach lots of people, school offices, large corporate buildings .anywhere there is lots of foot traffic!
Sales on trademe - will TM offer this with no success fees payable!Co-ordinator required

* Please let us know your thoughts on offering companies who will help with a free acknowledgement by way of advertisement or thank you in the book in return for their assistance/donation.

Alternatively, if we find a MAJOR sponsor, they might want to pay for all the production in return for advertising in the cookbook . !

THE NUMBERS:

Looking to produce an initial run of 2000 books, approx 200 recipes, with 150 pages.Sell for $15 each! Initial fundraising target: $30000.Aim to be selling cookbook by mid April.Aim to sell all books by Mother's Day, and then look at reprinting again .

The team so far is:

Pat(pixiegirl)
Andrea(fastlanenz)

and we are brimming with enthusiasm, filled with steely determination to make this a successful fundraising project for the people of Christchurch.We'd love for you to come on board too.

Feedback also welcomed on which organisation(s) on the ground in Chch should benefit from this fundraising!

As promised, we will keep this process transparent and open, via weekly progress emails to our team, and perhaps an Auckland based monthly meeting.

chrisynz, Mar 4, 9:11pm
great idea.. I think if u keep urprice down a bit you would sell more.. would also look at selling them on other sites.. as well like the E one that alot of amercians sell and buy from.. although postage would be a quite dear to send to them , i would say alot of people would buy them as well other countries. i for one would be interested and know of a few others that would be as well.

alewis, Mar 4, 9:28pm
a5 spiral bound - and a suggestion that fasty doent end up doing all the work I put my name in to help - just dont ask me for any spelling jobs! wonderful idea,

pixiegirl, Mar 4, 9:57pm
Morning everyone - thanks for all the thoughts.Stack of Recipes (known by a lot on here also as Stack of Thieves!!!) unfortunately nothing can be done apparently about them - they were reported to TM at the time.

However dont let that put you off the task at hand - which is the ChCh charity cookbook.This is a TM Community project and we will rise above it.

Pickles - thanks for your thoughts - yes as Andrea said copyright is one thing that we are all aware of.I think we can raise a lot more money than by just giving a "donation" equiv to printing cost - we are looking for the "Snowballing effect" - gathers momentum (snow) as it goes rolling along!!

Some new threads will be coming along soon with various headings for you to pop your recipes in them.Keep eyes peeled!!
Again many thanks

pixiegirl, Mar 4, 9:59pm
Lovely to see you on here charlie - we are all thinking of you guys down there.