Nik'ee cooks thru Edmonds cookbook(illustrated)

Page 1 / 9
twinsmakefive, Sep 25, 7:19am
Hi im Nik'ee & I love cookin,I'm a NZ lady thru & thru I grew up with the Edmonds cookbook I luv it,I will be cookin its 223 recipes.Inspired by the movie Julie&juila, I hav decided 2 giv myself this project of cookin thru every recipe inside this gr8 book,my time limit will be 12 months.I suffer with BPD & I have bad days often with food,but I know this project will behealin 4 me & just what I need 2 give myself importance,my Hubby & 5 kids will love 2 eat the food.
PLEASE GET ONLINE AND SUPPORT ME>Thanx.

babytears, Sep 25, 8:14am
x1
Hey... what a cool idea.... what you should do is keep us updated with what you're making and what your next recipe will be... go hard and cook!!!

vintagekitty, Sep 25, 8:20am
Hiya. What a fab idea, I love it. You know, just thinking about your statement about giving yourself importance. You are a mum to 5 kids, and thats a really important Job, completely valid and so worthy of anyones respect.

I look forward to seeing your results, how are you going to format it?

juliewn, Sep 25, 1:57pm
Yes.. let us know what you're making.. you could turn this thread into a kind of blog..

Good luck :-)

gardie, Sep 25, 6:35pm
I'll support you for sure - what version of the book are you using?Personally, I prefer the older versions although they did bring one out a couple of years back that contained readers favourites - many of which do not appear in the newer books.I found out that my Mum's Christmas pudding originally came from and Edmonds book as it was in that specially released one.Recipes also came with readers stories - its great if you can get hold of it.

crystalmoon, Sep 25, 7:56pm
Great idea twinsmake5,sounds like lots of fun.Keep us posted.

winnie231, Sep 25, 8:22pm
Nik'ee - where can we follow your progress?
Do you have a blog or ? Please post us a link here & good luck! :)

greerg, Sep 25, 11:54pm
Good luck Nik'ee but as a amother of five, including by the look of your username, twins, you are already super important and probably super hard worked.

boo06, Sep 26, 12:24am
Hay Nikee found you we are watching and waiting Catch up next week Clare

buzzy110, Sep 26, 12:25am
Keen to know which version you are using. I have one with a section using processed foods. Don't see much logic in knocking up those sorts of foods myself but all the rest is fine I suppose.My older version also has the original pavlova recipe. The later versions have cornflour and other additives which don't do much forpavlova IMO.

I'm a bit worried though. Most of the recipes are sweet and sugar based such as cakes, biscuits and desserts, etc. I do hope you can control your and your family's waistlines while you undertake your project!!!Julia Child wrote a book mainly about learning to cook meats, stock, vegetables, sauces, pate and other staples of French Cuisine.

trading_gibsons, Sep 26, 12:30am
It is a great idea....
can I suggest that you find an old cookbook though as I have found that some of the measurements in the new one don't always work out so well in the of the recipes.
Maybe it's just me...

kiwibubbles, Sep 26, 1:31am
whats the link?

indy95, Sep 26, 1:46am
What a great idea , twinsmakefive. I would also be interested to know which version of the book you are using.

twinsmakefive, Sep 26, 6:40am
Hi its Nik'ee here, today I started my project,I cooked 3 recipes,and I loved doing them.
1st was BANANA CAKE with lemon icing,it went very well, it cooked well in the middle I used a round tin.
2nd was BELGIUM BISCUITS with pink icing,I have never baked them before and they looked great.
3rd was CARAMEL SLICE with choco icing,the first batch of the caramel middle burnt and went in the BIN,but 2nd try was great,just as a note to myself and others you can never have too much icing sugar,I ran out and my choco icing was a bit runny. But guess what even though I have trouble with eating I tryed them all and I loved them. Some people wanted to know what version of the EDMONDS cook book im using, Its the big illustrated book easy to read.
Thanks to all who are reading about my project.
Im going to post photos on my profile page of my work,will take a few days to get it up there--click on twinsmakefive-then profile.

twinsmakefive, Sep 26, 6:51am
P.S Its not just baking recipes in this book it also has a great vegetable and meat/chicken/fish dishes too,I am looking forward to them, just have to watch the budget aye,im sure most of you know how that feels.goodnite all.

babytears, Sep 26, 7:59am
Hey sounds like you've been blimmen busy then! My sis has that recipe book... it's quite good!

boo06, Sep 27, 4:57am
Bump What did you today Nikee hope it was yum

donnabeth, Sep 27, 5:03am
Good on you. As for the waistline, you'll soon get sick of sweet stuff and most of it will go into the freezer to go into the lunch boxes on the 'meat and veg' days.

As you get into it, it would be good to know which recipes taste good as they are, which ones could be adapted and which ones will freeze well. The processed food recipes are there for people who choose to use them and are just as valid as any with 'whole' ingredients. Enjoy.

twinsmakefive, Sep 27, 5:03am
Hi Nik'ee here for lunch today I made cheese scones from the edmonds illustrated cook book, they turned out great.I loved rubbing in the butter it feelt very therapeutic,I probably rubbed it in longer than I needed but it didnt matter.
For tea tonight for the family im cooking shepherds pie,its just about to go under the grill,I let you all know how it tasted.(even though I am a vegetarian,to stay true to my project i'm going to eat a mouthfull)
PLEASE I'd love to hear from people.thanks.---from Nik'ee B

duckmoon, Sep 27, 5:12am
Hubby did something similar...
He cooked his way through the baking section...

boo06, Sep 27, 7:33am
WAITING WAITING For my taste good on you girl.

twinsmakefive, Sep 28, 12:26am
Hi Nik'ee here again yesterday I completed the shepherds pie,watched it go under the grill,watched the chesse bubble and go golden brown,smelt devine. I ate a spoonfull as i promised i would,I enjoyed it.
This morning as a treat a made french toast,the aroma of cinnamon and butter--yum,they were gone very fast.great way of using stale bread.
6 recipies down 217 to go.
thanks for reading and writing to me.

boo06, Sep 28, 1:43am
Soundz Good hope your little ones are enjoying it catch up tomorrow
Clare

nikki56, Sep 28, 2:47am
yummm it all sounds so great, wot a cool project, u can bake for me any day! good job, will be watching ;)

*waves to clare*

twinsmakefive, Sep 28, 2:59am
Hi Nik'ee .B here, ive been trying all day to upload some photos to show you of my Edmonds cooking book project, but our computer doesnt haveUSB port and I tryed putting photos on a disk and doing it that way but no luck.--so ive decided rater than stressing out anymore about it I will think of this as a great time to use lots of great describing words.
post again soon.