Nik'ee cooks thru Edmonds cookbook(illustrated)

Page 2 / 9
boo06, Sep 28, 4:22am
You Can pop Over here and upload a few if you like would love to see them Not sure how to do it but we can work it out.

Hi Niklk56

kiwibubbles, Sep 28, 7:57am
Do you have a blog you are using to update your progress? can you please put the link up here? thanks

vintagekitty, Sep 28, 9:12am
I was telling my husband about you today normally he thinks people that post on here are a bunch of weirdo's talking a load of bollocks. BUT as he is a film maker, he thinks you idea is amazing, and with your background, wants to get in touch. Can you touch base though my auctions as we would like to talk you to you further cheers

nfh1, Sep 28, 9:22am
My husband is wondering if you take lodgers!I do not bake so he is greatly deprived of his regular sugar fix and home baking.

Sounds like a fun thing to do - I bet your family are loving it.

bella95, Sep 28, 11:39am
Hi nik'ee. Good for you great idea. My bestie gave me Julie & Julia for my birthday. Great Movie. Clicked on your profile to see if you had posted any photos on there. Did you make the stunning beehive cake? It's amazing!!

twinsmakefive, Sep 28, 9:48pm
hi Nik'ee here just to answer a couple of questions, im using this thread as like my blog,Im not really great on the computer lol so i know how to use these message boards, also the cake picture with the bees on that i had on my profile was just 1 i found online,i tryed to upload photos of my cooking but i ended up with soo much time wasted that i could hve been cooking, the bee cake sort of ended up there where my photo should have been,I have made cakes very similar to that cake B4 though.
Im making a neat vegie dish for tea tonight,and bake some things during the day, i'll blog you all about my cooking/baking day later in detail, i look forward to it. blog u soon. luv Nik'ee.B.

nikki56, Sep 29, 1:54am
cant wait to hear what youve made to day, you so put me to shame ive gotton out of the way of cooking due to a lack of intrest on my familys part lol no one wants my baking and my waistline doesnt need it lol good on ya gurl xxx

boo06, Sep 29, 8:48pm
Ha How did you tennis cake go

alebix, Sep 29, 9:11pm
WOW, you are amazing. I hate being in the kitchen some days.

I would love to follow your "blog". I cant wait to see what you have cooked next.

Good Luck.

twinsmakefive, Sep 29, 11:12pm
Hi everyone out there its Nik'ee here again, i was tired last night and didnt get around to bloging about my cooking/baking day yesterday,
my day started with me going to visit a friend"hi clare", we talked abit about my plans for the day with regards to my edmonds project and clare looked through the illustrated book,when I got back home I picked up along the way another friend of mine and her 2 children and brought her back to my place"hi Kelly",
As soon as I got home the oven instantly got switched on and baking/muffin tins out and paused ready to go.
1st I made what the recipie book calls a "tennis cake", its light in colour with brown coloured rasins and glace'd red cherries flowing throughout the inside of the cake,with an amazing aroma of cinnamon and almond, dusted off on the top with sifted incing sugar.
I enjoyed making this cake seeing the colours,smelling the almond,snecking a taste of the mixture-inspires me to not be afraid-this food is not my enemy.took 1 half hours to cook,some of my friends ate it and liked it,(i hope).
2nd I made bran muffins, I had to improvise alittle, I only had oatbran I had run out of bran so I took the plunge and used oatbran,and I had this delectable plantne' banana they are the ones that are orange coloured inside(i leant about this fruit when i visited Tonga years ago)so i omited the rasins for this banana insteed.
I mixed the dry ingredients and wet ingredients sperately and gentlly folded them together,just enough to combine them like a gently flowing river meeting a still quiet lake. I used cupcake papers and spooned the slightly orange coloured mixture into the tins it made 22 standard muffins, most of these were gone and devoured gratefully by my friends and family,I ATE A WHOLE warn one too and I ENJOYED it.
3rd thing I made was a grilled vegie dish with vingerete dressing.
It called for vegies very much out of season,so acording to our budget I improvised. I used frozen mushrooms,courettes and red peppers,it called for asparagus(canned would be mushie and soft,a biggreen blob) i used red yams insteed,also carrot and pumpkin.I looked at all the beautifull colours and thought--It needs yellow,I found some frozen corncobs(what a nightmere cutting frozen corncobs) with that completed I put some vingerete on sort of like a maranade and cooked them in the oven just a smige leaving them still crunchy and healthy,tasted great and non gulty.
Blog you all again soon luv Nik'ee.B.

nikki56, Sep 30, 2:04am
i got to try the tennis cake and it was yummmmmmmm. nik'ee did a great job, it was delisious thanks heaps nik'ee!:)

boo06, Sep 30, 6:04am
Well Done it soundz like you were very busy

vintagekitty, Sep 30, 8:39am
yeah, for you. Will email you when we are back from the states

twinsmakefive, Sep 30, 9:07am
hi everyone out there in recipe cyber space its Nik'ee.B. here updating again on my progect.
I havent been having the greatest of days today,im feeling quite down and wanting to revert back to ways of coping that I have in the past with my BPD.At around 4pm today I could have quite easyly gone to bed and tryed to sleep away my thoughts, Then I remembered this project and some wise words from a very good friend of mine "hi alice",she said a while ago to me that her mum had advised her "if you dont know what to cook for the evening meal or
even where to start,melt some butter,chop and brown an onion and the rest will just flow".Well I love all my friends and the help we have to offer each other tonight those words,those actions,were just what I needed.
I peeled a brown and a red onion and and cut them so they would make rings,i paused everything else in my mind and put all my energy into these onions,I enjoyed pushing the ring shapes out watching the butter melt,hearing the sizzle as they merged together, I didnt even mind as the aroma from the raw onions made my eyes weep,its a welcome change from my eyes weeping from my constant flood of emotions, then the smell/aroma from the onions browning filled the whole house and I found a recipe from my project cook book it was spinach and bacon sauce,served on pasta.
After the onions were browned,it was cooking bacon time,I didnt find this easy as I dont eat meat, but i liked the sizzle it made as I cut it and fryed it in strips,fresh spinach at the moment is very expensive so trusty frozen spinach it is for us tonight.
the spinach,bacon,onions now all flowing together in the frypan the colours looked great,onions luckly drowned out the bacon smell.
The pasta added to slightly salty water was now soft and cooked and ready to drain--and the spinach/bacon/onion dish was also ready to eat,only problem was Id been so eager to cook for a distraction that the time now was only 5pm LOL, so our family ate at what I called GRANNYS DINNER HOUR LOL.
And being true to my project I ate a little bit of it and even though I dont eat meat I did and the dish was yumm.
Well its late now my bed time, my luv to you all from Nik'ee.B.

boo06, Sep 30, 7:50pm
Ha Girl Well Done thats what we want to hear you moving through those emotoions the right way.

It soundz great Proud of you

nikki56, Oct 1, 4:15am
well done, keep it up hugs to you.

indy95, Oct 1, 4:51am
I haven't made the Tennis Cake for quite some time but this was the recipe I always used for a light fruit cake because I knew it always turned out well. Will be interested to hear about whatever you decide to bake next.

twinsmakefive, Oct 2, 6:39am
hi everyone Nik'ee here again, I didnt blog yesterday, so I guess Ill tell you about the 5 recipes Ive made over the past 2 days.
Im still struggling withmy anxity and just feeling "low", so I thought id try a recipe that my mother used to make when I was a child,Its called "caramel meringue".I thought id double the caramel in the middle of it due to having 5 kids I didnt want anyone to fight over it--but I must tell you what a mistake that was.I enjoyed making the dish molding the shortcake base into the glass dish to cook,watching it rise, then smelling the caramel as it was being created(I was abit concerned when it said to add egg yolks to the warmed butter/flour rue' I pictured the yolk cooking and making lumps in the caramel,but I used my electric beater and all was well.) I had the meringue to make now that too was with my electric beater it always amazes me how pain simple egg whites with suger can whip up so white and fluffy. I poured the caramel on to the shortcake base then the meringue on the top--into the oven till golden brown.It looked amazing,I let it cool down and cut it WHAT A MESS caramel everywhere running all over the table, the kids loved it I try it caramel dripping down my chin "shiver", but I so wish that I hadnt doubled the caramel, this recipe wont be made again by me in a hurry.
For dessert I made "Easy Chocolate Mousse" --what part of this is
EASY lol,It uses about 4 seperate bowls to mix different parts of it before they finaly all flow together to finish it. It was very rich,I could only manage a tsp of it even my kids left most of theres and finished them off during the day today.
Today 1 HOUR before they were meant to have them done my older kids were reminded about a fundraiser bake sale, so on with the oven and opened my trusty Edmonds book and found the simpleistbiscuits I could find which were "hokey pokey biscuits", I made 3 batches of these my fav part of making these is watching the mixture rise and change colour when you add baking soda to the warm butter stuff mixture. I added all spice and cinnamon to the 2nd batch to make them "hokey pokey spice biscuits", and to the 3rd batch I added cocoa powder to make them "choco hokey pokey biscuits", the last batch cooled and packed into an ice cream container just as the kids had to go--what a rush realy not good for my anxity.
Then healthier things for dinner, "Carbonara"(ham and mushroom sauce) on pasta sprils, and greek salad.
I got to melt butter cut up onion rings again and savour the aroma, I even got to use parsley from my garden,--great dish tasted great I as promised ate some of the meat(ham).
Greek salad was light and refreshing I omited Black olives for black grapes(olives are not a fav food for anyone in our house) also omited fetta cheese for cottage chesse(budget only goes so far).
I would definantly recommend both these dishes,and I will be making them again,but I still have many more recipes to make 15 done.
Blog you all again soon, I hope there are still some of you out there reading my project, my luv to you all from Nik'ee B.

kirinesha, Oct 2, 7:20am
Loving reading about your progress Nik'ee!

boo06, Oct 2, 7:36am
yum hope i get to try something soon. your doing well. thank goodness for your little ones that you could cook so fast.
Talk to you soon.

neil_di, Oct 2, 5:51pm
Loving your enthusiasm and attitude. Be proud of yourself Nik'ee.

donnabeth, Oct 2, 8:23pm
You're an inspiration;thank you. There's no reason for me not to be a confident cook.

I'm always raving about my ancient Dollars and Sense cookbook. Mine is so well used it's falling to bits, but when I look through it, I see that I mostly make the same things. Something else I did that I haven't done for years is read the introductory pages. Waste not want not, Don't let god food spoil, Buy Cook Serve the amount of food required, First-Make a List, Substituting ingredients, Edible containers. What good advice!

Starting today, I'm going to make every recipe in the book(maybe not every day though). I'll tick the index with the dishes I make regularly and start on new dishes.

Thanks again Nik'ee and the best of luck with your fabulous blog. p.s I loved the movie too.

margyr, Oct 4, 4:19am
Well done!!!! enjoying reading your "blog", cooking is abit like gardening very relaxing.

evorotorua, Oct 4, 4:29am
Thank you for sharing Nik'ee. It is lovely to read your posts and your desciption of what and how is fun. Keep up the good work and have fun.

somethingsexy, Oct 4, 4:36am
Nik'ee I've only just found your thread today but already i'm hooked!As you described the belgim biscuits I had little childhood memories.cant wait to hear what else your making