Nik'ee cooks thru Edmonds cookbook(illustrated)

Page 9 / 9
510, Nov 1, 7:14am
Nik'ee, just wondering if you are okay!I have missed your postings!

juliewn, Nov 2, 4:47am
Yes. hi Nik'ee. I hope all is well. looking forward to reading your posts when they're here.

Hugs.

twinsmakefive, Nov 4, 12:39am
Hi everyone I have been unwell, in hospital with my BPD, But I cant wait to bget back into the cookbook again, thanks to all my wonderful readers,as soon as I have more recipes done ill blog for you. I missed it while I was in there but it was where I had to be at the time to keep me safe and get beter. lots of love Nik'ee B.

twinsmakefive, Nov 4, 12:47am
to vintagekitty---Hi Nikee, I emailed you, did you get it!. sounds like you are doing a awesome job of it.
gandnandkids@infogen.net.nz

books4nz, Nov 4, 1:18am
I'm thinking of you Nik'ee - I hope you're feeling better. take gentle care x

floralsun, Nov 9, 4:14am
Nik'ee - hope you're enjoying trying the recipes - lovely to read your thread - thanks for sharing. :-)

twinsmakefive, Nov 9, 11:37am
Hi everyone Nik'ee B here I have done lots of recipes its just been hard for me to get on and blog, I have completed 10 things over the past week, they were shortbread,one egg chocolate cake,yoyos,duskie biscuits,Indian beef curry,fruit crumble,flourless chocolate cake(dessert),pumpkin soup,tomato and basil sauce and chocolate chip biscuits(called san'te biscuits)
out of all of these I just blog to you some the memrable moments, my memory and consentration arent grat yet,but I shall do my best.
The duskie biscuits were nothing like the picture they were surposed to look abit like affgans,instead they flatend out and all merged together, they tasted ok but this reciepe is one i will be putting a dont repeat sign on lol,The yoyos and shortbread were lovely i enjoyed making them and sampling them i just had to remind myself not to think about the butter content of them(a saying comes to mind as im writing about the butter in them its a saying that my father used to say as he was about to eat anything high i fat "this dish is a heart surgens nightmere")
The one egg chocolate cake was fantastic! it was very easy and enjoyable to make and tasted great and i have never seen a cake go so fast, my 5 kids made it dissapear faster than a magician,i would make this again and again. Indian beef curry i loved making for the aromas it gave filling the whole room in spices, I fogot to put the plain yogurt in the end of this dish and fogot to photograph it for my records so i will remake this dish,(something that nigella lawson said the other nite on her cooking show of how much she loves the smell of buttermelting even though butter isnt seen to be popular anymore I totally agree with her butter smells great.)
The fruit crumble is a good old recipe that even gets made at cooking at school,it never fails and rubbing butter into flour is very theraputic.I usedup old apples and soft kiwifruit as the fruit.
Pumpkin soup,easy to make just had potato in and onion and stock oh and pumpkin of cause, I really love soup and this was nice but im not a fan of adding starch food(potato) into any vegie soups.
i made a tomato and basil sauce and even though the picture suggested it be used to put over pasta i used rice (my family had enough pasta for the week already) the sauce was easy to mke ued 2 big fresh tomatos and the flavour of the basil was powerful(so if you are not a fan of basil may not want to make this dish) but we all enjoyed the extra flavour.
the dessert flourless chocolate cake was so much fun to make, it envoulved beating egg whites beat yolks and sugar together melting a bar of very dark chocolate and butter, baking powder added folding them alltogether, bake in a round lined tin and in oven a cook.I put tin foil over the top because it looked after 5mis like the top could burn, after about 30mins in oven i got it out let it cool and put banana and whipped cream on top and we ate it, it was nice the texture was like nothing id ever had before,i would make again and again.
and the chocolate chip biscuits easy to make and tasted great.
Thanks so much for reading my blog,I will try and blog a bit sooner next time, all my love nik'ee B.

orangehead, Nov 14, 7:34am
wow this is awesome thanks for sharing Nik'ee :) What a great idea!

alebix, Nov 14, 8:25am
WOW you have been super busy, puts me to shame and yu have a large family.

I can completely sympathise with the anxiety attacks, all I can say is just breathe. deep breaths helped me when i felt one come on.

But, I cant wait to read what you have baked next.

seniorbones, Nov 15, 3:11am
bumping up.nearly off the page. Love reading your blog Nik'ee makes me inspired to bake but then I eat it and thats not good for me to put weight on! so if I make a cake I get my husband to take to work so he has cake all week but it only lasts a couple of days, everyone else eats it! I have run out of eggs so baking day will have to be tomorrow after the chooks have laid more.

seniorbones, Nov 19, 11:36am
really easy, I did it all in the mixer except for the flour which I folded in.and freezers really well too.

juliewn, Nov 19, 11:32pm
Hi Nik'ee.
Thanks for posting - it's always interesting to read your posts. have a wonderful weekend. :-)

twinsmakefive, Nov 22, 10:30am
hi Nik'ee here I have been making some great recipes,lots and lots of Bread, I love making bread the kneeding of it the rising of it, the delighted look on my kids faces when they see how yeast,flour,little oil makes bread just like the shops only better.I am up to about 50 recipes now WOW, Ive kept making bread even though ive already completed them in my project. I made a pizza yeast base and put the toppings on the the recipe recomended---YUCK, Ill not do that again, it had sweet pickel,plain yogurt,cucumber,and chicken bits, Lucky I made the kids bases with normal pizza toppings. Bagles with great to make you have to put the dough into sweet boiling water for 30 sec before putting them on the oven tray to bake, a list of what ive completed is Pizzas, bagles,cornbread,focaccia bread,chelsea buns,madeira cake,orange cake,semolina cake(this was not the nicest tasting--it was unusual), Chicken paprika. I will try and blog more often, Just siting down to type is very hard most days, I tend to start to get anxious just thinking about how I will concentrate to do it, but I got on now and im feeling alittle proud that Ive bloged, Im off to bed now hopefully for some sleep, thanks heaps to everyone out there in recipe land, my love Nik'ee B.

juliewn, Nov 22, 1:43pm
Hi Nik'ee. I agree. there's something special about making our own bread.

Wow. 50 recipes now. you're well on your way through the book.

The Edmonds Madeira Cake is my favourite Madeira cake. though it's possibly because I add the rind and juice of an extra lemon. truly delicious.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us all here. hope you're having a great sleep.

greerg, Nov 26, 7:39pm
Well done on the bagels Nik'ee - I've tried twice and both times were a total disaster.The pizza does sound awful though but you never know until you try do you!

fionaschuler, Nov 30, 10:03am
i have just stumbled across your thread.I had thought about doing the same thing but i would end up the size of a house with all the baking-theres only me the boyfriend and our two cats (who love baking too).I decided yesterday to cook my way through my weight watchers cook books-so far both receipes for dinner have been delicious!

Nik'ee B you are a legend!Thankyou for making me laugh with your descriptions and i feel your disappointment when something doesnt turn out how you want-I made a cake for my birthday last tuesday and it all stuck to the tin-knew I should have used the other one.

Best of luck with your quest, I will be following it every few days :) xx

juliewn, Dec 6, 2:00pm
Bumping and looking forward to reading your next post when you have time to add one here.

unknowndisorder, Dec 25, 8:49pm
Merry Christmas Nik'ee. Hope you've found time and energy to do lots of baking and cooking and the results are brilliant :)

Have missed your blogs, but do hope you're doing okay :)

juliewn, Dec 27, 12:37pm
Hi Nik'ee. hope you're well and your family are too. bumping till you have time to add another post here. best wishes.