What book to get instead of Edmonds Cookbook?

dbab, Apr 8, 1:38am
My niece in Australia has requested one of these. However I have read lots of comments on here about the recipes not being so great. ( I have to admit i don't use mine all that often, Perhaps I should give her mine!)
What book would you recommend for a girl just starting out in a flat with her boyfriend?

parkvale58956, Apr 8, 1:39am
Dollars and sense by Alison Holst.Fantastic recipes.

jag5, Apr 8, 2:38am
Or Alison Holsts Red Book, just been republished in soft cover I believe.Of the hundreds (yes) of cook books I have, her Red Book is the best.

beaker59, Apr 8, 2:55am
Can't beat the Edmonds book as a universal resource for a beginner from how to do a sunday roast to baking a cake with everything in between. Only complaint I could have of it is its a bit simple though thats probably a good thing. Mind you with a computer and google you already have a recipe for anything under the sun.

debra24, Apr 8, 3:11am
Any Sophie Gray (Destitute Gourmet) cook book. They are budget friendly and have tasty recipes!

glenleigh, Apr 8, 3:15am
Jo Seagers books are great, her recipes are so easy.

cookessentials, Apr 8, 3:29am
Wouldn't bother with the Edmonds cookbook. there is a great one by the NZ Country Womans institute which is sold at New World and other book shops called "A Good Spread" these recipes have been tried and tested for generations and i have tried a number of them now and I am most impressed.

cookessentials, Apr 8, 4:32am

cookessentials, Apr 8, 4:35am

dbab, Apr 8, 5:11am
Thanks for those suggestions. I'll look into them

terraalba, Apr 8, 6:38am
My daughter in Sydney requested that I find her an Edmonds book but she wanted an addition that had all those man-pleasing old favourites for hard-working builder hubby. I think that's it really. The more recent editions don't have all those old favourites. I bought a 1950s version in good condition on TM for her. The problem for modern tastes though is that the 1950s recipes had too much salt in them and didn't reflect always our present understanding of what is healthy food.

kinna54, Apr 8, 8:27am
If you are buying an Edmonds book shop for an older version. on TM or seconhand shops, the new one is disappointing.Also remember that Aussie baking measurements are different. My sister in Aussie moaned that she couldn't get any baking right even tho we both have the same Edmonds book (given to us years ago at our kitchen teas) It was only when she visited back home that she realised why,:her Aussie measure cups etc were around 15mlsdifferent.

pickles7, Apr 8, 11:12am
What a name "A good spread" just googled it and ended up blushing.

dippychik, Apr 8, 9:19pm
I have the 'a good spread' book too by RWNZ. I love it, its full of recipes that I was brought up on, that I love to make, and that all the farmer blokes in my life love to eat!

karenz, Apr 9, 1:37am
I really think you can't go past the original Australian Womens Weekly Cookbook for the basics, I still have mine which I bought in 1971.You can still pick them up at Vinnies and the Salvation Army shops for a few dollars.

lythande1, Apr 9, 2:11am
You sure can.
Why learn bad habits? It all oxo cubes and marmite. And cakes.
Get a Womans Weekly cookbook, excellent range of recipes (not the specific ones, the general ones). Or a Readers Digest one, I have one that goes into detail about all the different ingredients, cuts of meat, various fruits, veges etc then has techniques, not just recipes.

daleaway, Apr 9, 2:30am
You can still get Michael Volkerling's "Food for Flatters", first published by AH & AW Reed in 1973 and full of good basics and staples.
More recent editions are a little more sophisticated in their choice of recipe, but all editions have good detail in the methods.

cookessentials, Apr 9, 2:36am
Agree with you there.

loislane1, Apr 9, 4:45am
Maybe check with your neice though, does she want the Edmonds Cookbook specifically or just a good cookbook.She may be disappointed if she gets something other than the Edmonds one, as its kind of an icon.

dbab, Apr 9, 5:11am
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have emailed asking if she specifically wants the Edmonds one.

angs, Apr 9, 5:35am
Sophie Gray all the way! I have all but 2 of her cookbooks and the recipes are amazing! Budget friendly, user friendly and so very tasty!

tahnasha, Apr 9, 6:00am
I always have an Edmonds Cookbook on hand, and I live in Aussie, and have never had any problems with the measuring.You can buy them in the NZ shops in Aussie, they're about $25.00.I have 3 different versions of it, but I particularly like the older recipes.I find the Hokey Pokey biscuits in the newer version doesn't work as well as the older version, which you make a completely different way.

My friend years ago went to the States to live, she got a job as a cook on a millionares boat that travelled the world.I don't know how she fluked that, cos she couldn't even cook.But she took her Edmonds Cookbook with her and managed to get away with it.