How much would you pay for bacon and eggs

Page 3 / 7
cookessentials, Feb 24, 3:26am
Yes, I agree and I can see why so many wont come here, it always seems to be the same old one or two. Great news about your sister and I am sure she had a great time spending some of the holidays up with you guys. The cruise will do her the world of good. How is the smoker going?

fisher, Feb 24, 3:29am
Going well thanks. tried a couple but waiting for a smoke cannon to produce more smoke. more smoke for longer .less heat = better result.
Will Post a picture when I do one after it comes.

I'm out of this thread. there's a buzzing in my ear.:}

fisher, Feb 24, 3:29am
Going well thanks.... tried a couple but waiting for a smoke cannon to produce more smoke... more smoke for longer ..less heat = better result...
Will Post a picture when I do one after it comes...

cookessentials, Feb 24, 3:31am
Cool.tried any of those recipes yet!

cookessentials, Feb 24, 3:31am
Cool..tried any of those recipes yet?

uli, Feb 24, 3:45am
And I didn't even post so far :)

*waves to fisher* - hows the garden going!
Got any bacon and eggs growing!

And I didn't even post so far :)

fisher, Feb 24, 4:28am
Hi Uli.I reckon if I could put up a chook house I would. 3-4 girls would be good but just too awkward here. None of my friends go hunting up
(I cant go anymore) here for freerange bushpigs LOL.Garden and herbs very very good with a little more rain than last year .been able to use the irrigation tanks to the full .freezer is full of summer organic produce for the winter months. cupboard is full of preserves etc so its all good.Thinking about a glasshouse now.Would luv to smoke some brined pork belly.
Hows things in your patch. what marvels have you produced this year :}}

fisher, Feb 24, 4:28am
Hi Uli...I reckon if I could put up a chook house I would... 3-4 girls would be good but just too awkward here... None of my friends go hunting up
(I cant go anymore) here for freerange bushpigs LOL...Garden and herbs very very good with a little more rain than last year .been able to use the irrigation tanks to the full ...freezer is full of summer organic produce for the winter months.. cupboard is full of preserves etc so its all good....Thinking about a glasshouse now...
Hows things in your patch... what marvels have you produced this year :}}

monocle, Feb 24, 4:37am
I prefer to eat bacon and eggs that are free range.

monocle, Feb 24, 4:37am
Meat or eggs from a stressed and unhappyanimal can not be good for you. So as far as I'm concerned, NOT A HEALTHY Option. No wonder our hospitals are clogged with sick people Each to their own dude!

ant_sonja, Feb 24, 4:43am
I don't see the problem! The price someone is willing to pay for something surely comes down to the quality of said 'item' - in the case of bacon & eggs there are huge variations from cafe to cafe so a little explanation as to why one is willing to pay $20+ as opposed to someone else saying they'd be willing to pay $10-$12 max is surely useful! Also, if I took a group of 30 or so people known to me, there'd be quite a few who would not be happy with caged products on their menu so in a buffet situation you might not be able to please everyone these days. Individual diet choices are varied and people have become more discerning with what they will and will not eat - not a bad thing if you ask me, with free range being a definite improvement to the life of the animals in question :-)

To go back 'on topic' though - some cafe's serve bacon & eggs with other things such as tomato & mushroom and spinach or other sides, some don't - this was included when I said I'd be happy to pay between $19-$25. Also each establishment has different overheads - another reason to factor into the price variances. Just the other day I paid $20 for 3 rashers of bacon/2 poached eggs/2 slices of bread/a side of creamy mushrooms/a whole grilled Tomato and butter on the side and all ingredients were of fantastic quality and it was in a nice location, so I feel that it was a very fair price to pay -- a buffet of the same quality would probably be not much cheaper unless we're talking 50+ people.On the other side of town is a cafe with a couple of old and dirty tables and rickety chairs right on a busy street with traffic zooming past non-stop and less than desireable foot traffic wafting by as well. They serve Bacon & eggs & toast (with marg on it), maybe half a soggy tomato on the side and no other trimmings for $6.50 - this being the other extreme, an average would probably lie somewhere between $13 and $18 with Bacon & eggs of average quality, a small side of mushroom or similar and your surroundings of the semi-pleasant variety :-)

ant_sonja, Feb 24, 4:43am
I don't see the problem? The price someone is willing to pay for something surely comes down to the quality of said 'item' - in the case of bacon & eggs there are huge variations from cafe to cafe so a little explanation as to why one is willing to pay $20+ as opposed to someone else saying they'd be willing to pay $10-$12 max is surely useful? Also, if I took a group of 30 or so people known to me, there'd be quite a few who would not be happy with caged products on their menu so in a buffet situation you might not be able to please everyone these days. Individual diet choices are varied and people have become more discerning with what they will and will not eat - not a bad thing if you ask me, with free range being a definite improvement to the life of the animals in question :-)

To go back 'on topic' though - some cafe's serve bacon & eggs with other things such as tomato & mushroom and spinach or other sides, some don't - this was included when I said I'd be happy to pay between $19-$25. Also each establishment has different overheads - another reason to factor into the price variances. Just the other day I paid $20 for 3 rashers of bacon/2 poached eggs/2 slices of bread/a side of creamy mushrooms/a whole grilled Tomato and butter on the side and all ingredients were of fantastic quality and it was in a nice location, so I feel that it was a very fair price to pay -- a buffet of the same quality would probably be not much cheaper unless we're talking 50+ people...On the other side of town is a cafe with a couple of old and dirty tables and rickety chairs right on a busy street with traffic zooming past non-stop and less than desireable foot traffic wafting by as well. They serve Bacon & eggs & toast (with marg on it), maybe half a soggy tomato on the side and no other trimmings for $6.50 - this being the other extreme, an average would probably lie somewhere between $13 and $18 with Bacon & eggs of average quality, a small side of mushroom or similar and your surroundings of the semi-pleasant variety :-)

uli, Feb 24, 4:48am
Nothing special - as I was "laid up" once again from mid-September. Back on crutches now . so just the usual - beans, courgettes, greens etc and lots of fruit - just eating the first black figs now, had some with coppa some days ago as an entree. Very lovely.
And of course lots of homegrown bacon and eggs :)

uli, Feb 24, 4:48am
Nothing special - as I was "laid up" once again from mid-September. Back on crutches now ... so just the usual - beans, courgettes, greens etc and lots of fruit - just eating the first black figs now, had some with coppa some days ago as an entree. Very lovely.
And of course lots of homegrown bacon and eggs :)

fisher, Feb 24, 4:56am
kune kune.Oink Oink.here chook chook chook.herechook chook chook. LOL.

fisher, Feb 24, 4:56am
kune kune....Oink Oink...here chook chook chook...herechook chook chook... LOL...

elliehen, Feb 24, 4:56am
fisher, well said :)

fisher, Feb 24, 5:02am
See now that wasn't so hard. no nutritional values expelled but opinions on what one may or may not expect from discerning folks and what I personally regard as a fair summation of prices one could expect.

fisher, Feb 24, 5:02am
See now that wasn't so hard... no nutritional values expelled but opinions on what one may or may not expect from discerning folks and what I personally regard as a fair summation of prices one could expect...

wayne472, Feb 25, 5:55am
x1
The actual cost to buy bacon and eggs is. A rasher of bacon $1.30,eggs 30 cents each,A slice of bread 30 cents each, so --
3 bacon == $3.90
2 eggs ===.60
2 bread ===.60
Cup of coffee.60
Power$1.5
All that equals $7.20
Now I need some profit! Usually 200 -- 300 percent!
So work out the true cost of Bacon,Eggs,Toast and Coffee

fisher, Feb 25, 7:26am
wont be going to your cafe in a hurry with that loading of profit. :}

fisher, Feb 25, 7:26am
wont be going to your cafe in a hurry with that loading of profit....... :}

uli, Feb 25, 8:01am
wayne472 - not much of a business person?
you forgot the butter to start with, but you also forgot the rent, insurance, wages, kiwisaver contribution, holiday pay, depreciation of assets, consumables like cleaners, serviettes, salt, dish washing liquid etc etc ... or is all that going to come out of the 300% profit (= $28 for your bacon and eggs).