Potato Bread?

skoodles, Feb 16, 8:22am
I remember making this when i was at school using real mashed potatoes, was soooo good but have never been able to find the same or similar reciepe!Does anyone have the reciepe that actually uses mashed potatoes rather than dry 'add water' potatoes? thanks in advance :)

elliehen, Feb 16, 8:35am

elliehen, Feb 16, 8:40am
This is a traditional alternative to a yeasty potato bread.

SCOTTISH GIRDLE (OR GRIDDLE) SCONES

Ingredients:
225g boiled and mashed potatoes
65g flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
Half teaspoon salt

Method:
Mash the potatoes while they are still warm and add the butter and salt. Add in enough flour to make it a pliable dough but without making it too dry. The type of potato will affect this. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll until about quarter of an inch thick. Cut into six inch circles and then into quarters. Prick all over with a fork and cook in a heavy pan which has been lightly greased. Cook each side for about three minutes or until golden brown. If you want to really add the calories, put cheese between two scones and cook until the cheese has melted, or smother with butter and raspberry jam.

245sam, Feb 16, 9:45am
skoodles, are you wanting to make a loaf of bread or what is often known as a Boston Bun or a Sally Lunn?

"Sally Lunn Loaf
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup sultanas
1/4 cup milk
1 cup mashed potatoes (cold)
salt 1 egg

cream sugar and potatoes add egg sift flour and salt and add to mixture beat well stir in sultanas add enough milk to make a smooth dough. divide mixture in half and shape as a round loaf. bake 350 for 25-30 minutes. when cool ice with pink icing and sprinkle with coconut
Quote ribit (126 )9:38 pm, Thu 12 Aug #7
Yes you can make 2 buns/loafs out of this
Quote ribit (126 )10:10 pm, Thu 12 Aug":-))

skoodles, Feb 17, 3:36am
oh these all sounds great! thanks!
Im pretty sure the one made at school was a loaf, but not in a loaf tin so it kinda looked like a big bun haha! but it was sooo good and that was the only day i didnt keep the reciepe (this is a good 10 years ago and have been trying to find a reciepe since! )thanks for everyones help! I dont mind if there are other reciepes others want to share, i will probably try them all!