HELP.....toilet paper in wash.

Page 1 / 2
bluecalico, Feb 11, 10:48pm
Toilet roll used to stop washing machine lid crashing down in earthquake....didn't check machine before doing a load, so the whole roll got washed...now the clothes are COVERED in toilet tissue....should I dry the clothes first then brush off again, or wash again immediately after shaking them out.....the tissue seems embedded in the clothes....DAMN DAMN DAMN....all my work clothes too. Any advice appreciated. Thanks. Julie

elliehen, Feb 11, 10:51pm
That happened to me once.I just hung all the white-spotted clothes out and when they were dry the bits all shook off (a lot of shaking going on...)

ibcreative, Feb 11, 10:58pm
What a nightmare! It's bad enough when someone leaves 1 tissue in a pocket and it goes through the wash, but a whole toilet roll..........

bluecalico, Feb 11, 11:02pm
When I was shaking the clothes out it was like a snow storm.......how do you guys keep the lid of the machine open when not in use?........older F&P was flat so I could use the fabric conditioner holder to keep it ajar a bit to breathe....but new machine is slopey.......

elliehen, Feb 11, 11:04pm
I've got a bath sponge propped there.It works well because it stays dry and fresh-smelling :)

retired, Feb 12, 12:54am
I had a paper tissue in the wash once - and a black top!I did manage to get it all off with sellotape once the garment was dry.I feel sorry for you what a job!

bluebell42, Feb 12, 1:03am
I have used the tumbler drier for ONE tissue.Might work with a WHOLE roll, but you would need to keep emptying the filter.Best of luck.

gerry64, Feb 12, 1:07am
I agree the dryer takes it off the clothes - but you need to do it in several batches - if it is a windy day the clothes line may work

nfh1, Feb 12, 1:17am
Oh I feel for you - it sticks like mad, but a whole roll's worth!

I usually let them dry and shake, but it is time consuming.I never leave the washer lid up and have no problems with it smelling - do you put hot washes through it?

bluecalico, Feb 12, 1:59am
Thanks everyone for advice. I don't have a drier....am line drying them in the sun at the moment. Unfortunately the clothes are black....which makes it worse. I always do warm washes. I have been out a couple of times to shake them. My black skirt is the worst....will have to try the cellotape trick when dry. Thanks again. Am going to make sure this never happens again!

justme..., Feb 12, 2:46am
You may also need to put an empty cycle through your washing machine to be sure all the bits of toilet paper are gone before doing anymore washing.What a nightmare of a job, good luck!!

ibcreative, Feb 12, 2:58am
Once dry you could go over everything with one of those sticky lint rollers. Whatever way you do it, it's going to be time consuming.

Why do you need to keep the washing machine lid up? I've never heard of that before.

korbo, Feb 12, 7:44am
yes, i have this happen often. hubby works out in the country and always has paper in pocket for emergencies.

I did find the dryer did work, as long as garment is dryerproof.
good luck.

jessie981, Feb 12, 7:55am
I use the container for filling up the iron to keep lid open. Depending on the material, sometimes easier to rerinse or if it's polar fleece etc, best to brush down. Good luck.

elliehen, Feb 12, 8:26am
It's just propped open a fraction to keep it aerated and sweet.Anywhere there's water lurking can get an old mouldy odour and there'll always be a bit of water down in the sump/pump parts.

lythande1, Feb 12, 6:45pm
I've owned this machine for 7 years now. Never held the lid open. Why??? If I wanted it open, then I'd lift it up and it would be open.
But I leave it down.
Perhaps it's your fabric softener that's your problem. That stuff causes nasty black sludge in the machine.
Mine sure doesn't smell or anything - why would it - ut gets a self clean when I do the clothes.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 12, 6:55pm
I hang the clothes on the line and then hose the paper off.
It's a pain when this happens. A whole roll!

bluecalico, Feb 12, 8:16pm
An update....am getting there......washing them for a third time now...left them out overnight last night and it rained, helped a little.The lint roller was great.....finished the roll now. Thanks for all advice. I was brought up with the washing machine lid up....that is just what mum did! Never use fabric softener either.

bricambeagles, Feb 12, 9:46pm
Dont knowif this will help but let the clothes dry and then wipe them all over with a wet flannel... you may have to do this a few times thoi.. I do this when the kids leave tissues in their pockets and i wash the clothes.. its does come off eventually..

roseann48, Feb 12, 9:54pm
Bluecalico I like you leave the lid open. I have had similar happen with half a box tissues. High pressure hose was great - then dry & shake & the sticky roller .. Drier took last bits out.

elliehen, Feb 12, 10:27pm
Maybe it's your nose, lythande1.

vintagekitty, Feb 12, 10:38pm
I buy lint balls from that funny magazine people leave in my letter box, I cant remember its name but its filled with tacky little gismos. They work a treat and I have used them to clean the machine as well when someone left a tissue in their pocket.

grandma, Feb 12, 10:42pm
I too leave my lid open a bit.All the best for getting rid of your white "bits" - a horrible job at the best of times.

elliehen, Feb 13, 5:27am
Even things awash with water need a clean...the toilet flushes all day long and it certainly doesn't self-clean ;)Neither does the dishwasher.

buzzy110, Feb 13, 5:48am
elli don't you ever stop picking on people? lythande gave her opinion. She obviously thought that it might be nice to tell the opening poster that she doesn't need to leave the lid of her washing machine open and risk washing rolls of loo paper. It was one differing opinion and you go into crazy bully mode!!! What is the matter with you?

lythande, for what it is worth, I too have never felt the need to leave my washing machine lid up, but when I do, the handy springs in the hinge ensures that the lid stays open till I shut it. Who would buy a washing machine with a lid that keeps closing on you when you are loading and unloading? It just doesn't make any sense.