Soy yogurt Help??

Page 1 / 2
elen2, Feb 3, 7:11pm
I have an easiyo and I cant fine soy mixes anywhere so does anyone know how to make soy yogurt with out them, that works?
I have been trying to make it all week and it wont thicken.
HELP!!!

frances1266, Feb 3, 7:41pm
I make soy yoghurt in an easiyo, it comes out nice and thick like greek yoghurt.I start if off with a good yoghurt full of the good bacteria - I use Dr Ali's yog.I put 2-3T in the easiyo and top it up with So Good soymilk, pour boiling water around the container.
Then leave it for 5-6 hours until it thickens.
I have read that by making it using a dairy yoghurt by the second batch it is dairy free.Then make subsequent batches using the previous yog as a starter.
I never have a problem making it this way.I think it important to use a good starter yoghurt and the soy milk seems to make a difference.Also keep everything sterile.
HTH

steveandkatie, Feb 5, 5:37am
This sounds great. Do you think you could use oat or rice milk?

ribzuba, Feb 5, 7:08am
i think you need a high protein to make good yoghurt...so that rules rice milk out although i think you can get chick pea enriched milk?

talia, Mar 18, 11:01am
What is Dr Ali's yoghurt? I've never heard of it

I've tried making yoghurt using kefir but it was too thin and I didn't like it much. I like a thick creamy greek yoghurt

frances1266, Mar 18, 6:52pm
Dr Ali's yoghurt might not be available in all areas.It is very high in friendly bacteria so you will need to find an equivalent.Someone else may know which yogs are high in friendly bacteria.

talia, Mar 18, 7:41pm
Thanks, I see you're in Christchurch so maybe it's only available in the South Island. I might try using soy yoghurt as a starter but as it's got fruit in it I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. The plain soy yoghurt in the shops is hideous!

jcprotea, Mar 18, 8:39pm
I use the Kingland Fruit one (you can get it in Foodtown etc) as my starter. I then use So Good Essential as my milk as it has lots of nutrients etc in the soy milk. Vitasoy is good also.

http://www.vegetarianchristchurch.org.nz/index.php?page=alternatives

talia, Mar 18, 10:32pm
I need to check the packets. I can't eat gluten and I think the Vitasoy has barley in it although I might be confusing that with the Vitasoy rice milk. The Kingland fruit yoghurt is nice but I prefer plain yoghurt so I never buy it. I've never seen Bean Me Up soy yog but I've tried the Tonzu and it's got a dreadful texture and taste.

Was the yoghurt you made quite thick and creamy or thin? The ones I've tried to make so far have been very thin.

Thanks for the link to the alternatives - that's a big help

jcprotea, Mar 18, 10:51pm
eww tonzu yuck lol. Mine came put thick. I thought Vitasoy was gluten free. The stuff I get is or is supposed to be. So good is gluten free. I am vegan and also gluten free.
I have no other idea about yoghurt but the link I posted was how to make yoghurt from soy etc.

talia, Mar 19, 12:39am
It might be another brand that I'm thinking but check carefully, some of them include barley. I'll look next time I'm at the supermarket but I think it's the vitasoy creamy original that has barley in it which contains gluten. Are you a member of the coeliac society? They have good booklets on reading food labels and lists of safe and unsafe ingredients

Tonzu was truly awful. It has a gritty texture and the taste was so foul even my dogs shook their heads when I put it on their food. (They gave me mournful looks for poisoning their meat)

talia, Mar 19, 12:44am
Here it is the creamy original has gluten
http://www.vitasoy.com.au/Assets/Files/a9bc8f3b-f641-432c-9108-cb6c8db7c5ad.pdf
Ingredients Declaration:
Filtered Water, Certified Organic Whole Soy Beans (Min. 15%), Pearl Barley, Barley Malt, Raw Sugar, Sunflower Oil, Kombu (Kelp), Natural Flavouring, Sea Salt

jcprotea, Mar 19, 1:12am
that is the stuff I have the Vanilla

http://www.vitasoy.com.au/products/vanilla/

talia, Mar 19, 4:16am
I've never bought the flavoured stuff (except for chocolate!)

lenart, Mar 19, 6:28am
To make thick soy yoghurt you'd need to add soy protein and glucose to soy milk. Shop yoghurts aimed for dairy milks and although all made with the same lactic bacteria, but different strains attribute to different texture and acidity. To make thick soy yoghurt, the culture needs to produce high texture and some shop yoghurts only make low-medium texture. For myself I have a high viscosity thermophilic yoghurt culture that produces high texture (exopolysaccharides), it is thick and ropy and not sour. Didn't see such yoghurt in the shops here. And different soy milks may give different results, need to find a good one.

talia, Mar 19, 11:01am
What is Dr Ali's yoghurt! I've never heard of it

I've tried making yoghurt using kefir but it was too thin and I didn't like it much. I like a thick creamy greek yoghurt

frances1266, Mar 19, 6:52pm
Dr Ali's yoghurt might not be available in all areas.It is very high in friendly bacteria so you will need to find an equivalent.Someone else may know which yogs are high in friendly bacteria.

talia, Mar 19, 7:41pm
Thanks, I see you're in Christchurch so maybe it's only available in the South Island. I might try using soy yoghurt as a starter but as it's got fruit in it I wasn't sure if it was a good idea. The plain soy yoghurt in the shops is hideous!

talia, Mar 19, 10:32pm
I need to check the packets. I can't eat gluten and I think the Vitasoy has barley in it although I might be confusing that with the Vitasoy rice milk. The Kingland fruit yoghurt is nice but I prefer plain yoghurt so I never buy it. I've never seen Bean Me Up soy yog but I've tried the Tonzu and it's got a dreadful texture and taste.

Was the yoghurt you made quite thick and creamy or thin! The ones I've tried to make so far have been very thin.

Thanks for the link to the alternatives - that's a big help

talia, Mar 20, 12:39am
It might be another brand that I'm thinking but check carefully, some of them include barley. I'll look next time I'm at the supermarket but I think it's the vitasoy creamy original that has barley in it which contains gluten. Are you a member of the coeliac society! They have good booklets on reading food labels and lists of safe and unsafe ingredients

Tonzu was truly awful. It has a gritty texture and the taste was so foul even my dogs shook their heads when I put it on their food. (They gave me mournful looks for poisoning their meat)

talia, Mar 20, 2:15am
Thanks Lenart. So Good Essential has wheat maltodextrin in it. I can't eat wheat or gluten so I didn't buy that milk. I've bought the Vita Soy Milky regular. I may add a little honey as I don't have glucose. I don't have any soy protein either so I'm not sure how this will go.

talia, Mar 20, 4:16am
I've never bought the flavoured stuff (except for chocolate!)

lenart, Mar 20, 5:58am
I saw glucose powder in our Pak'n Save, Healtheries and King's in Sugar section.

lenart, Mar 20, 6:28am
To make thick soy yoghurt you'd need to add soy protein and glucose to soy milk. Shop yoghurts aimed for dairy milks and although all made with the same lactic bacteria, but different strains attribute to different texture and acidity. To make thick soy yoghurt, the culture needs to produce high texture and some shop yoghurts only make low-medium texture. For myself I have a high viscosity thermophilic yoghurt culture that produces high texture (exopolysaccharides), it is thick and ropy and not sour. Didn't see such yoghurt in the shops here. And different soy milks may give different results, need to find a good one.

talia, Mar 21, 2:15am
Thanks Lenart. So Good Essential has wheat maltodextrin in it. I can't eat wheat or gluten so I didn't buy that milk. I've bought the Vita Soy Milky regular. I may add a little honey as I don't have glucose. I don't have any soy protein either so I'm not sure how this will go.