Sponge recipe

Page 1 / 2
2life2, Jan 27, 8:22am
I'm looking for a great sponge recipe, the ones that the I remember eating years ago.Usually the farmers' wives would 'whip' up a beautiful light sponge and then spread with fresh whipped cream and jam. I remember one lady saying that you 'dropped the sponge whilst in the tin on the floor/bench when it was cooked.Does anyone have a recipe that makes a beautiful light sponge please.It would be very much appreciated.Thanks

harrislucinda, Jan 27, 9:08am
yesi am afarmer.s wifeandjustlovemakingsponges3eggs2 1/2heapedtlbspcorn flour1tspbp4tlbspsugar1dspflourseperateeggwhitesbeatasinpavto stiffaddyokesbeataddsugarbeatfor5minmoreisbestfoldinsiftedflourbpandcornflourputinapaperlinedroundtinbakeabout15minorspongetin bakeabout8minallovensaredifferentifspongetincoolturnonto attowelsprinkledwithicing sugarspreadwithjamandthenrollifroundtinspreadwithcream

cgvl, Jan 27, 9:34am
my recipe is similar.
Reason for dropping cooked sponge (while still in tin and hot) on floor is to release any air so that it (the sponge) doesn't shrink/flop.
i do it with other cakes where I add the egg whites seperately.

elliehen, Jan 27, 10:15am
This Never-Fail Sponge recipe came from the Foodie pages of The Christchurch Press and I can guarantee it's the real deal :)

Assemble all ingredients
Have eggs at room temperature
Sift 1/2 cup cornflour, 2 teaspoons ordinary flour & 1 teaspoon baking powder

Lightly grease 2 sponge pans and put baking paper in the bottom
Separate 2 eggs
Beat whites till soft peaks
Slowly add 1/2 cup caster sugar beating all the time
Add yolks and beat till rich mix
Add sifted dry ingredients
Divide into 2 pans and whack each firmly on the bottom
Bake 180* for 15 minutes
Whack each pan again on removing from oven
Sit for 5 to 10 minutes before removing
Fill with fruit and whipped cream

pickles7, Jan 27, 5:16pm
In the search function , on your left , Write ... pickles7... on the key word member space, and scroll down to ... anytime ... on the date posted,. You may find what you are looking for there

maryteatowel1, Jan 27, 5:48pm
...the ducks are back laying so i'll be making sponges for the freezer later this week...they have a higher fat content so the sponge is not dry and the beaten egg holds it's shape really well...i use my kenwood mixer...1 1/2 tbsp sugar per egg which i beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 mins...add 1 tesp vanilla...then fold in lightly 1/2 tbsp per egg of flour and 1/2 tbsp per egg of cornflour...right at the end i quickly fold in 1/2 tbsp per egg of melted butter and 1/2 tbsp per egg boiling water...bake at about 180C for 12 mins in sandwich tins or 15-18 mins in a sponge roll tin...

2life2, Jan 28, 12:40am
Thank you ALL so much for your recipes - it's very much appreciated and I look forward to trying them out..Have a great weekend! Livia

pickles7, Jan 28, 2:20am
Duck eggs are way to strong in flavour for sponges. Great for other cake baking. We had a dozen ducks and sold the eggs rather than use them in baking. They are well sort after.

maryteatowel1, Jan 28, 9:50am
...i've never noticed the taste to be any different with duck eggs when baking, even in a sponge...although i don't use the egg whites for meringue...and i don't like them in a quiche or mayo...i've got duckling due to hatch tomorrow...i love my ducks!!!...

elliehen, Jan 28, 10:19am
A friend used to give me duck eggs regularly but I used them only for baking because of the risk of salmonella.It was recommended not to use them for recipes where the eggs were lightly cooked.

juliewn, Jan 29, 5:38am
Duck eggs have long been known as being great for sponges..

A sponge recipe is here:

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/02/08/duck-egg-sponge-cake-beating-my-nemesis/ #1.. this includes the Fielder's Sponge recipe:
http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/showthread.php?t=14278

'Here's the famous Fielder's Classic Sponge recipe

3 eggs
pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornflour
1 dsp flour
1 tsp baking powder

Separate eggs. Beat egg whites with salt till stiff. Add sugar very gradually and beat till stiff and sugar has dissolved. Add egg yolks. Beat till well blended.
Sift together cornflour, flour and BP and fold into mixture.
Pour into 2 sandwich tins which have been greased and bottom lined with greaseproof paper. Bake 190C 15-20 mins.'

bob18, Jan 29, 6:04am
Harrislucinda.....how hot should the oven be

harrislucinda, Jan 30, 4:00am
says400degbutnotsureofthenewtempbutjustwatchasoven,saredifferentiknowmineisfartohotforaspongeroll

harrislucinda, Jan 30, 4:02am
geehowtherecipehaschangedasthisismyfieldersspongeatleast30yearsagoseeingredsasaboveandneverfailsiuseitforjamroll aswell

2life2, Jan 27, 8:22am
I'm looking for a great sponge recipe, the ones that the I remember eating years ago.Usually the farmers' wives would 'whip' up a beautiful light sponge and then spread with fresh whipped cream and jam. I remember one lady saying that you 'dropped the sponge whilst in the tin on the floor/bench when it was cooked.Does anyone have a recipe that makes a beautiful light sponge please.It would be very much appreciated.Thanks

cgvl, Jan 27, 9:34am
my recipe is similar.
Reason for dropping cooked sponge (while still in tin and hot) on floor is to release any air so that it (the sponge) doesn't shrink/flop.
i do it with other cakes where I add the egg whites seperately.

elliehen, Jan 27, 10:15am
This Never-Fail Sponge recipe came from the Foodie pages of The Christchurch Press and I can guarantee it's the real deal :)

Assemble all ingredients
Have eggs at room temperature
Sift 1/2 cup cornflour, 2 teaspoons ordinary flour & 1 teaspoon baking powder

Lightly grease 2 sponge pans and put baking paper in the bottom
Separate 2 eggs
Beat whites till soft peaks
Slowly add 1/2 cup caster sugar beating all the time
Add yolks and beat till rich mix
Add sifted dry ingredients
Divide into 2 pans and whack each firmly on the bottom
Bake 180* for 15 minutes
Whack each pan again on removing from oven
Sit for 5 to 10 minutes before removing
Fill with fruit and whipped cream

pickles7, Jan 27, 5:16pm
In the search function , on your left , Write . pickles7. on the key word member space, and scroll down to . anytime . on the date posted,. You may find what you are looking for there

maryteatowel1, Jan 27, 5:48pm
.the ducks are back laying so i'll be making sponges for the freezer later this week.they have a higher fat content so the sponge is not dry and the beaten egg holds it's shape really well.i use my kenwood mixer.1 1/2 tbsp sugar per egg which i beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 mins.add 1 tesp vanilla.then fold in lightly 1/2 tbsp per egg of flour and 1/2 tbsp per egg of cornflour.right at the end i quickly fold in 1/2 tbsp per egg of melted butter and 1/2 tbsp per egg boiling water.bake at about 180C for 12 mins in sandwich tins or 15-18 mins in a sponge roll tin.

2life2, Jan 28, 12:40am
Thank you ALL so much for your recipes - it's very much appreciated and I look forward to trying them out.Have a great weekend! Livia

maryteatowel1, Jan 28, 9:50am
.i've never noticed the taste to be any different with duck eggs when baking, even in a sponge.although i don't use the egg whites for meringue.and i don't like them in a quiche or mayo.i've got duckling due to hatch tomorrow.i love my ducks!.

juliewn, Jan 29, 5:38am
Duck eggs have long been known as being great for sponges.

A sponge recipe is here:

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/02/08/duck-egg-sponge-cake-beating-my-nemesis/ #1. this includes the Fielder's Sponge recipe:
http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/showthread.php!t=14278

'Here's the famous Fielder's Classic Sponge recipe

3 eggs
pinch salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornflour
1 dsp flour
1 tsp baking powder

Separate eggs. Beat egg whites with salt till stiff. Add sugar very gradually and beat till stiff and sugar has dissolved. Add egg yolks. Beat till well blended.
Sift together cornflour, flour and BP and fold into mixture.
Pour into 2 sandwich tins which have been greased and bottom lined with greaseproof paper. Bake 190C 15-20 mins.'

bob18, Jan 29, 6:04am
Harrislucinda.how hot should the oven be

harrislucinda, Jan 30, 4:02am
geehowtherecipehaschangedasthisismyfieldersspongeatleast30yearsagoseeingredsasaboveandneverfailsiuseitforjamroll aswell

bev00, Jan 30, 10:51am
mmmmmm sponge cake