Food Lies told by Doctors, Dietitians & Others

Page 64 / 66
uli, Dec 18, 11:36pm
The truth about drug firms on a bigger scale ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10695239

Excerpt:
"...revealing the struggles of the pharmaceutical industry to gain traction inside New Zealand.

The [Wikileaks] cables reveal that the drug industry changed tactics in trying to get New Zealand to change its drug pricing policy.

Instead of directly lobbying the Government, the embassy was told of plans to agitate patients by providing them with information about drugs that weren't available. It would "educate New Zealanders."

Also, Pfizer would "oppose free-trade negotiations" until the New Zealand Government changed policy...."

uli, Dec 18, 11:53pm
From this pretty good article you can click onto another one called "The questionable claims about resistant starch" - which starts pretty good - but then deteriorates to the point where it says in the last sentence: ""If you want to lose weight, you're going to have to restrict your diet. At the end of the day, it's about common sense: calories in minus calories out."

http://www.latimes.com/news/health/la-he-nutrition-carbs-20100628,0,5969617.story

Hard to find any common sense it that one!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 28, 2:16am
Good series of videos on blood sugar problems -

"Blood Sugar: Why you can't lose the weight."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RE4cXeX7Po

terraalba, Dec 28, 2:56am
Once upon a time the happiest thread in tm messageboard kingdom was the caring sharing recipes mb. I obviously missed the event that changed all that. Wouldn't it be nice if 2011 was to bring about the former situation. I know I can hear someone saying butt out of other's people's business. I mean some of you in this thread seem to want this acrimony to go on and on ..........

prawn_whiskas, Dec 28, 3:19am
Which begs the questions terraalba.Why did you bother entering and bumping it up if you are genuinely not one of this crowd?

And Secondly, why can't people who wish to talk about this topic have their own thread to do just that? It will only offend your delicate eyes if you bother to press the link and enter it, the solution seems simple does it not? Leave it to the people who wish to be here.

elliehen, Dec 28, 4:10am
Good idea :)Leave this thread to the conspiracy theorists.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 28, 4:23am
Can they count you in on that as well Elliehen? You are in here after all.

elliehen, Dec 28, 4:37am
Probably, prawn_whiskas, though I might have to pop in now and again if people start talking about mass poisonings via cloud seedings and jet trails...as some do from time to time.

Doesn't hurt to have the small still voice of reason appear occasionally ;)

terraalba, Dec 28, 4:59am
OK I can answer that. I come into this thread a bit to learn about the topic contain in this thread's title. It is actually a very important subject. I am interested it that. Unfortunately for a while I have noted that it becomes a bit of a nasty debate. People snarking at people. I would love to read about the topic and discuss it from time to time but don't like becoming involved in acrimony.

uli, Dec 28, 5:56am
You might notice that there are certain people coming in here that think this thread should not even exist here in recipes - never mind that a "circle of friends" is ok in recipes ... so that is where the unnecessary debate comes in. You only have to read post #2753 for an example.

I usually post links here for people to read - and that is all this thread originally wanted to achieve - get more people interested to do their own research. And that is exactly what will continue here with this thread in 2011.

Here is a nice example:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/hc-weir-unhealthy-cookbooks-20101217,0,6538821.column The readers posts below the article are worth reading :)
http://discussions.baltimoresun.com/20/balnews/hc-weir-unhealthy-cookbooks-20101217/10

uli, Dec 28, 6:02am
Another interesting read is this here:

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/67/12/1211?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=raison&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT and this here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-vaccine/

Mark writes:
Things are nice and clean nowadays. You can easily go a day without seeing a single speck of visible dirt, while hand sanitizer stations dotting the modern landscape take care of the less visible stuff. This is, of course, an environmental novelty with big implications.
We are all familiar with how the extreme sterility of modern environments negatively impacts the ability of our immune systems to do their jobs. We get more exaggerated and sustained inflammatory responses to things that don’t really merit them. We get a lot more asthma and allergies, especially as kids.

Well, a recent review in the Archives of General Psychiatry suggests it goes even further – all the way to clinical depression. To be more precise, dysfunctional inflammatory responses of imbalanced immune systems due to sterile environments are causing depression in kids.

A lack of exposure to “old friends,” or the microorganisms normally present in dirt, food, and the gut, increase levels of depressogenic cytokines, so the natural inflammatory response to psychosocial stressors is “inappropriately aggressive.”

uli, Dec 29, 12:47am
I am glad you are back ellie - it was very quiet without you.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 29, 1:29am
Kind thought Ellie - but we're happy here. That way you can join in.

elliehen, Dec 29, 8:29am
bedazzledjewels, Aw shucks!and uli, Gee whizz!

I am quite overwhelmed by your Christmas spirit - it feels like the "Friends" thread...almost...not quite...

uli, Dec 29, 9:21pm

elliehen, Dec 29, 9:49pm

indigo1, Jan 3, 8:08am
Any of yous read a recent article on coconut oil in the listener which talked about internet blogs challenging the views of sites like the NHF? thought is was an intriguing read

uli, Jan 3, 8:42am
No indigo1 - since I have neither tv nor radio I do not subscribe to the Listener.
Would be keen to know though - maybe they have the article online?

indigo1, Jan 8, 8:42pm

buzzy110, Jan 8, 8:57pm
I think it is a well balanced article and quite rightly, warns those who follow the, what has now become normal, western diet to be very wary of coconut oil.

It is no secret that when you combine fats with high carb foods you are on the slippery slope to trouble in the form of obesity, diabetes, vascular and heart disease, strokes and possibly other, diet induced diseases that I haven't yet thought of today.

To balance that, she also quotes research done on isolated groups who eat more in line with the low carb lifestyle - i.e. no grains, high in fish and omega 3 and some starches from tubers and they are wonderfully healthy.

So where should we, as westerners stand in the context of this particular article and saturated fats from whatever source? Well it is obvious really. If you eat the normalised high carb, high sugar diet that is promoted by the heart foundation then she is right to say "stay away" and should say it in big, bold letters.

If you follow a more traditional, Stone Age type diet, low in grains, carbs and sugars then there is no reason to restrict saturated fat intake as it has shown to have no effect on long term health.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 9, 3:05am
Over on the Dark Site (Side if you like) - y'know, the website that can't be mentioned on TM - we've archived all the news articles in the Food & Health Issues section of the forum.
They're under various subject headings which makes access much easier. Many of those links have been mentioned in this thread too.

uli, Jan 9, 3:56am
Thanks for the link.

I find it interesting that there is a "warning" that Dr Mercola sells coconut oil and so needs to be read with caution, while the heart foundation has lots of benefactors who nobody knows about and so needs to be taken more serious :)

Other than that I can only say the same as buzzy that if you eat lots of fat plus lots of carbs that you will get problems sooner or later.

Most people that have eaten meat plus veges plus fat seem to live long lives. There has even been a study in Hawaii I think, that showed the difference between different carbs. Their original diet had lots of carbs from starchy tubers and bananas plus coconut oil. Their "new" diet has lots of carbs from grains and sugars plus seed oils (cause they are healthier) - and guess what the outcome of that "experiment" was?

buzzy110, Jan 9, 4:25am
What do you think of the article indigo1?

bedazzledjewels, Jan 18, 8:58pm
Here's one from Jennie Brand-Miller (of Low GI fame) and her team -

"Dietary Glycemic Load Is a Predictor of Age-Related Hearing Loss in Older Adults"

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/140/12/2207.abstract

buzzy110, Jan 18, 9:47pm
Interesting article and sort of makes one think about glycogenesis that goes on in diabetics, where constant, uncontrolled sugar spikes lead to sugars attaching themselves to muscle tissue without the benefit of insulin. The first thing that goes in uncontrolled diabetes is eyesight and I wonder if hearing loss in non-diabetics is a similar action.

I hope she and her team investigate further and come up with a definitive answer to this anonamly.