While the shops are putting Christmas food items

Page 1 / 3
lynja, Jan 4, 5:20am
at half price i have been buying Christmas puddings to make a recipe i made for the first time this year and which is both lovely and easy.
I thought i would share it

Christmast Pudding Truffles

200grm pre made christmas pudding
1/4 cup chocolate chips
8 Tbsp Brandy, rum or whisky (I used brandy)

100 dark chocolate - to coat

crumble the pudding into a bowl and toss with the chocolate chips. add the brandy (a little more if needed tomoisten.)
mix well and shape into small balls.
dip in melted chocolate
store in the fridge. delicious!

uli, Jan 4, 6:21am
I am glad someone found something to make off that ridiculous stuff!
Lucky YOU!

buzzy110, Jan 4, 6:31am
The beauty of that idea is that those Xmas puddings last for the whole year as well. I had one given to me and couldn't bring myself to eat it. A whole year later, out of curiosity I hauled it out, cooked it and then tried it and it was exactly like it was freshly made. Still got thrown out though. It was purely an academic exercise.

You could stock up a few and have plenty for making through the year as well. Birthdays, dinner parties, parties, school fairs and all sorts of occasions would be excellent for your excellent recipe.And what a perfect idea for pre-Christmas treats.

uli, Jan 4, 7:58am
*blergh*

cookessentials, Jan 4, 8:09am
Thanks for sharing lynja.

elliehen, Jan 4, 8:30am
BIG BLERGH to two posters poking fun and amusing themselves hugely.

Just how hard is it to allow people to express their own enthusiasms without deriding them??

elliehen, Jan 4, 8:32am
lynja, thank you for your ideas and don't be put off coming back with more.

cookessentials, Jan 4, 8:43am
Sadly, for them it's very hard. Hope we are not going to have another year of these two imbeciles making the messageboards an unpleasant place to visit.

firemansgirl, Jan 4, 8:48am
Gordom Ramsay made a beaut looking souffle out of leftover Xmas pudding. Actually they were individual ones, and they looked fab! He reckoned that even people who aren't diehard Xmas pudding lovers would like them.

cookessentials, Jan 4, 6:59pm
I think I have a recipe for a similar one using cake crumbs ( christmas Cake, I think)

flo16, Jan 4, 7:10pm
Maybe we all need to feel sorrow for these critics,their life must be very dull and boring when they have nothing better to do than come on here and write such negative things.I too made these truffles and they are yum,taste even better as they age.

kiwibubbles, Jan 4, 9:03pm
right on

nfh1, Jan 4, 9:06pm
No I think they are really sweeties in real life but sometimes they just want to be horrid and mean, so they do it on here where they can be anonymous.

maynard9, Jan 4, 9:55pm
I commend you nfh1 for having far greater generosity of spirt than I have.

I was thinking the other day that I hope we aren't going to have another year of these 2 posters in particular behaving as they have previously.

It dismays me that some people can be so consistently negative, mean-spirited and just darn right rude.What is eating them?

I used to think that they must surely be going through a difficult time in their life's journey for them to behave like this and we must be more understanding.However it seems I was wrong as they continue to besiege threads that don't even concern them with negative comments and jibes at people who have kindly taken the time to share.

I would suspect that most people are like me and are selective as to which threads they click on.I simply wouldn't have the time to read them all.Some people seem to delight in checking them all out and can't resist having a 'dig'.

I recently put a posting to Cookessentials to thank her for the tin I had bought off her.Sure enough - on comes Uli with a childish comment.Now why on earth would that be of interest to you Uli when I had specifically addressed it to Pam?If you too had purchased one or perhaps wanted to know about them I could understand, but no, you simply couldn't resist,it could you?

I have in the past declined to put my irritations on here but it got the better of me today.

I am off out into the garden to replenish my soul.I for one respect the need for 'balance' in one's life.

maynard9, Jan 4, 10:04pm
and Buzzy110 -I do hope the person who so graciously bought and gifted you this pudding doesn't read this thread.You know - that pudding you threw out after your academic exercise.

I am encouraged that perhaps you may be 'nicer' off the messageboard and you do have friends that give you Xmas gifts.

Enough......................

cookessentials, Jan 4, 10:34pm
These are the ones, which seem pretty similar.
700g plum pudding
250g dark eating chocolate, melted
½ cup (125ml) brandy
½ cup (80g) icing sugar
200g white chocolate Melts
glacé cherries, cut to resemble berries and leaves

METHOD

Crumble pudding into large bowl. Stir in melted chocolate, brandy and sifted icing sugar; mix well.

Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls, place on tray; cover, refrigerate until firm.

Melt white chocolate in small heatproof bowl over small saucepan of simmering water. Cool chocolate 10 minutes. Drizzle over puddings to form "custard"; decorate with cherries.

This recipe can be made two weeks ahead.
Use either bought or left over homemade pudding.

Hi maynard9, hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New year. Enjoy the garden. We were out there yesterday from about 6.30am till around 11am when it just got too hot (31 degrees) I love being out in the garden first thing in the morning, it is always peacful. I often sit out with a coffee and the chickens pecking about at my feet...it certainly IS good for the soul.

elliehen, Jan 5, 12:22am
A true story, which I hope those two negative posters will read.

A young boy of nine used to spend holidays with much-loved grandparents and travel with them in their campervan.The grandmother was a chain-smoker, but was always trying hard to give up.

On one trip, as the precocious know-it-all that young children can be, the boy used his newly acquired knowledge about smokers and cancer to count the puffs his grandmother was making on the journey and announce at the next rest-stop that she had just taken
'X' number of years off her life.

To his surprise his grandmother burst into tears.His grandfather took him aside out of her hearing and told him one of life's most important lessons:

It is much harder to be kind than to be clever.

nfh1, Jan 5, 12:59am
LOL - no I am sure I do not.

It just makes me smile when I read the posts and think of them sat in a rocking chair, with their knitting, thinking of viscous posts to submit!

I have a very strange sense of humour I think.

buzzy110, Jan 5, 5:07am
FOR YOUR INFORMATION ELLI I wasn't poking fun or deriding anyone. I actually have found that bought Xmas puddings last a whole year and still very, very edible. And what is more, I know lots of people have events during the year and especially at Xmas so Xmas pudding truffles are, IMO, perfect. It seemed irrelevant to me that I wouldn't eat them, because many more people would and many more would enjoy them.

Please stop judging me by you own standards.

buzzy110, Jan 5, 5:13am
Well, it seems I typed too soon. I see that a whole host of thin skinned people have jumped onto elli's hate fest bandwagon. If you have noticed, I have often added to threads about foods that I personally avoid now, but have had a lot of experience making in the past.

I expect an apology from all of you. And FYI, I will continue to post where and when I see fit and if it is helpful, perhaps you would like to not enter in and start your hatred posts because you are all looking like a bunch of people with chips on your shoulders who will twist, even the most innocuous of posts to make it seem awful.

motorbo, Jan 5, 5:14am
just what i was thinking, the TA wanted to share a good idea, and it was a good idea TA !!!

bedazzledjewels, Jan 5, 5:14am
Actually, to get back to the truffles in #1, I remember back in my carb-eating days coming across these huge (golfball size) truffles at Frasers cafe in Mt Eden. I loved them so much that I had to severely talk myself out of going there for a while!
So, if you eat high carb food, go for it - they should taste great!

buzzy110, Jan 5, 5:15am
FYI maynard, the person who 'graciously gifted' me the bought pudding was rewarded with a beautiful homemade one from my own kitchen.

I don't eat Xmas pudding because of personal reasons only that are none of your business. Heck, I don't even eat my own, even though one is served at Xmas every year.

timetable, Jan 5, 5:15am
i always check the best before date but we always buy in the after christmas sales anything that we may be able to use for christmas the following year, especially lollies etc as we always post the english presents in sept and so make sure that the dates will see them into the end of dec.have saved ourselves heaps of money doing this and picked up some great bargins.yep we have no prob picking up after christmas food specials - never had any ill side effects and it has allowed us to get some lovely treats for the following year that we would not have normally been able to...

sue62, Jan 8, 6:32am
Well lynja, it was very kind of you to share with fellow cooks. PLEASE don't be put off by the negative sorts. Good to get these "handy hints" posted.Yours was a real "pearl" of an idea