Julie le Clerc's Christmas Cake recipe please

thelaw014, Aug 28, 7:09am
x3
Hi there, is anyone able to give me the recipe for Christmas Cake from the cookbook Feast @ Home by Julie le Clerc? I have just read a write up about what a fabulous cake it is. It has a tin of condensed milk in it apparently. Fingers crossed.

sp0_0kie, Aug 28, 9:06am
bump I'd be interested too :)

went looking to see if could buy the book, but fishpond say its unavailable & was produced in 2004.

fingers crossed for you & me :)

biggsie, Aug 28, 10:12am
x2
Amazing Christmas Cake - Julie le Clerc
225g butter - melted
1 cup hot water
1 tab white vinegar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1kg dried fruit
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sherry
2 1/4 cups self raising flour (sifted)
1/4 cup whole almonds to decorate
brandy to douse
Place butter, hot water, cinnamon, mixed spice and dried fruit into large saucepan and bring to boil, stirring regularly.
Remove from heat and stir in condensed milk and baking soda.Allow to cool to room temperature.
Line deep sided 20cm round cake tin with non stick baking baking paper and preheat oven to 140C pn fan bake.
Add sherry and vanilla to cooled mixture and stir in sifted flour.Pour into prepared cake tin and decorate top with almonds.
Bake 2- 2 1/2hrs.Cool completely before removing cake from tin.Prick with skewer and douse with brandy if desired.

thelaw014, Aug 30, 5:44am
Thanks a million biggsie!! Sounds yum.

rover48, Aug 30, 11:14pm
x1
I make a very similar one a couple of weeks before Xmas then Husband and son can cut "thick" slices and have a feed before I make my other one, so it lasts longer....:)

lofty010247, Sep 5, 1:36am
Help!!! I made this yesterday but it sank in the middle - where did i go wrong??

biggsie, Sep 5, 8:26am
Hi lofty, I made it too for the first time and it was successful.Mine had a wee dip in middle, but it turned out great.Are you sure it is cooked, as undercooked are inclined to sink.By the way, decided to cut it to check if it was a keeper recipe to do for 'Christmas Proper' and it is very nice.

sunny, Sep 17, 9:57pm
Hi everyone have to say this is just an awsome forum!I made Julie Le Clerc's
xmas cake yesterday an its come out just fabulous! The easiest xmas cake Iv ever made
Thanks for the awsome recipies an input to this site

sunny

tara, Oct 14, 7:29am
Another Julie le Clerc recipe request - does anyone have the recipe for her crispy noodle and red cabbage salad?

findlay, May 16, 9:46am
x2
You should respect Julie's time and effort and buy the book yourselves or you will put her out of business. Hope you get indigestion!