Best bacon and egg pie recipe -

Page 1 / 2
homestead_tm, Jan 1, 1:13am
whosgot it and would you please share -

ibcreative, Jan 1, 1:16am
If you put bacon and egg pie in the box at left and change it to anytime there are heaps of threads with b & e pie recipes. Best of luck!

lythande1, Jan 1, 4:01am
Matter of opinion really. I beat my eggs first, hate whole eggs in them.
I also add, sauted onion, tomato and grate cheese over the top of the egg mix before putting it's pastry lid on.
But thats my preference.

peter5364, Jan 1, 4:31am
I dont like whole eggs either, I mix the eggs with a table fork, salt & pepper (dont beat)and then cut bacon in. I make my own pastry for the bottom with is a short pastry (not sweet) and a fluffy pastry for the top, with a little egg wash on top. ,
You can add really any thing you like, a friend of mine adds a little mixed veg in, but I perfer not. Good luck.. cath.

eastie3, Jan 1, 4:36am
I prefer whole eggs and leave the bacon in quite large pieces.A layer of grated cheese on top of the base of the pie will stop it being soggy,but I am not keen on the taste (although I have done it in the past).I place a flat oven tray on the oven rack when I turn the oven on,and put the pie dish on that and the pastry on the bottom cooks perfectly.I especially dislike tomatoin the pie,quite like onion and tolerate cooked peas.My preference has changed a lot over the years.I do egg wash the the lid of the pie once its on,or sometimes just brush it with milk.

marcs, Jan 1, 6:50am
I like to break the egg yolks. I fry my bacon till there is no liquid left so that the pastry does not go soggy. Don't crispen it. Little bit of cheese on the bottom with salt and pepper of course.

lindylambchops1, Jan 1, 6:58am
This is the best Egg & Bacon Pie ...

INGREDIENTS

2 cups of Champion standard flour
Pinch of salt
Spoon of lemon juice
4 oz butter (grated)
Bacon
Eggs (say 6-9)
Cheese
Pepper and salt

Pre heat oven to the highest heat (yeah - maximum!), turn down to 200C.

PASTRY
Sift the flour, dig a well in the centre and add lemon juice. Add the grated butter.

Add water to the flour - until it makes a dough that you can roll out with a rolling pin

Stick in the fridge for 1/2 hour or so, then roll out and place in a greased tin - flour the bench and don't roll too long

FILLING
Sprinkle grated cheese on the bottom
Add bacon pieces cut into thumb sized sqaures
Add 6 whole eggs around inside the pie dish/tray
Sprinkle with cheese again
Add the last of the bacon and eggs
Add pastry top - jab holes and glaze with milk or egg.

Place pie in oven and cook for 20-30 minutes

male_timaru (427 )5:28 pm, Tue 22 Dec #3

sultana0, Jan 1, 7:54am
x1
My mums, dont know the recipe... I just turn up when I know she's baking... god bless her

gardie, Jan 1, 6:13pm
Some pesto spread around inside is great too.

jade, Jan 21, 2:43am
i need a recipe that is very easy, and pastry already prepared. :)

lythande1, Jan 1, 4:01am
Matter of opinion really. I beat my eggs first, hate whole eggs in them.
I also add, sauted onion, tomato and grate cheese over the top of the egg mix before putting it's pastry lid on.
But thats my preference.

peter5364, Jan 1, 4:31am
I dont like whole eggs either, I mix the eggs with a table fork, salt & pepper (dont beat)and then cut bacon in. I make my own pastry for the bottom with is a short pastry (not sweet) and a fluffy pastry for the top, with a little egg wash on top. ,
You can add really any thing you like, a friend of mine adds a little mixed veg in, but I perfer not. Good luck. cath.

marcs, Jan 1, 6:50am
I like to break the egg yolks. I fry my bacon till there is no liquid left so that the pastry does not go soggy. Don't crispen it. Little bit of cheese on the bottom with salt and pepper of course.

lindylambchops1, Jan 1, 6:58am
This is the best Egg & Bacon Pie .

INGREDIENTS

2 cups of Champion standard flour
Pinch of salt
Spoon of lemon juice
4 oz butter (grated)
Bacon
Eggs (say 6-9)
Cheese
Pepper and salt

Pre heat oven to the highest heat (yeah - maximum!), turn down to 200C.

PASTRY
Sift the flour, dig a well in the centre and add lemon juice. Add the grated butter.

Add water to the flour - until it makes a dough that you can roll out with a rolling pin

Stick in the fridge for 1/2 hour or so, then roll out and place in a greased tin - flour the bench and don't roll too long

FILLING
Sprinkle grated cheese on the bottom
Add bacon pieces cut into thumb sized sqaures
Add 6 whole eggs around inside the pie dish/tray
Sprinkle with cheese again
Add the last of the bacon and eggs
Add pastry top - jab holes and glaze with milk or egg.

Place pie in oven and cook for 20-30 minutes

male_timaru (427 )5:28 pm, Tue 22 Dec #3

sultana0, Jan 1, 7:54am
My mums, dont know the recipe. I just turn up when I know she's baking. god bless her

rozke, Jan 2, 10:22pm
l use flaky puff pastry sprinkle cheese on bottom add 6 eggs little milk or cream chopped chives .put lid on wash with left over egg mixture and bake 40 mins.Cheers

diana96, Jan 3, 3:43am
great way to use up left over ham.

uli, Jan 3, 5:23am
I never do bacon and egg "pastry" pies - but just make the bacon and egg "pie" (with some herbs) in pyrex dish. Looks lovely and no soggy pastry.

poppy62, Jan 3, 5:29am
Agreed - I hate whole eggs in my bacon and egg pie - the flavour doesnt go through the pie properly!I love the cheese in the pie - yum!

neon2k, Jan 3, 5:38am
Try spreading tomato relish on the bottom pastry before adding the onions and eggs etc.I am not a fan of tomatoes in the pie but this is actually quite yummy

mouse_y, Jan 3, 5:41am
starts with 'best' bacon
some bacon is poor . at best

bigsneak, Jan 3, 5:48am
I use flaky pastry
fry off bacon with terragon and onions in a bit of olive oil
once that is on top of pastry add
cherry tomatoes and feta all over
then add beaten egg
never had any complaints :-)

maria121, Jan 3, 6:20am
1kg bacon
dozen eggs (beaten)

pour in pastry lined dish and cover with pastry also.

180degrees for about 45mins.

Done.

vtired, Jan 3, 9:19pm
Heat oven to 220 c, Line pastry over pie dish,add enough sliced bacon to cover pastry, break 8 to 10 eggs into dish leaving eggs whole and even,sprinkle more bacon over and add tsp lots cream cheese around eggs, break eggs and give a swirl to spread yolk a little, generous sprinkle chopped chives , salt to taste and pepper, put pastry on top trim glaze with egg and bake 30-40 ins. After 15 mins turn oven down to 190. This is my special B & E pie and is very tasty.

bev00, Jan 3, 9:55am
great holiday food