A good recipe to pickle eggs?

Page 2 / 2
ant_sonja, Dec 30, 11:19pm
Our chooks are supplying us with many yummy eggs so I would like to try using some in different ways for us all to enjoy. We don't do a lot of baking so I thought I'd try pickling them! Was wondering what is involved in this! I only usually keep organic apple cider vinegar on hand for dressings etc. Would this be ok to use! Also how long do they keep for once pickled! Google gives a lot of different info so I thought I'd ask here. Your tried and true recipes would be very much appreciated. Also are there any other ways of 'preserving' eggs similar to pickling! Many thanks in advance :-)

jbsouthland, Dec 30, 11:28pm
A neighbourin the 60s did something with wax or fat from memory and then tightly packed them in an old kerosene tin.I thought it very messy.and abit yuk but then I was only a child.She used them for baking when hens went off the lay.

uli, Dec 30, 11:35pm
Pickling - only means you have 20 more eggs in the fridge that need eating :) They won't "keep" more than a week or two.

If you have too many - then consider freezing them in quantities you may use later - once the chooks moult.

I freeze lots of 4 (for cakes) and lots of 10 for quiches or pancakes or scrambled eggs.

Just crack and whisk lightly with a fork then pour into container and freeze. Many cook books recommend to add salt or sugar "to stabilize" - which is not really needed.

ant_sonja, Dec 30, 11:45pm
Hi kirinesha - must have typed at the same time :-) Your recipe sounds delish! Will definitely give this a go. Do you store these in the fridge!

ant_sonja, Dec 31, 12:04am
Thanks kirinesha - yes will play around with the spice mix tho yours sounds fab :-)

Fifie - thanks for that recipe too :-) Some great ideas - what's the corn flour do in this scenario!

ant_sonja, Dec 31, 12:24am
Cheers buzzy110, I'm aware of that :) I was brought up with a lot of home pickling & preserving prior to coming to NZ; just never done much in that regard myself as I tend to eat/cook fresh but would love to widen my food horizons in that respect.

buzzy110, Dec 31, 12:45am
Diverging slightly from your original question, uli and I both make sauerkraut and other fermented vegetables. I have only recently gotten into that and I understand exactly just how exciting and interesting doing things other than the norm can be.

I have Sylvia Lerch's Barefoot roving book here and she gives a recipe for salted raw, whole eggs if you want though I am not sure I can post her recipe here because of copy write.

However I have googled and there are quite a few similar recipes. I'll post one next and tell you what I'd alter.

ant_sonja, Dec 31, 1:07am
Thanks for taking the time to list this buzzy - I have copied the recipe and your suggestions; will try the salted eggs after I have pickled some and see how that goes :-) I'm from Germany originally & pretty familiar with Sauerkraut and other fermented veg, again I just haven't ventured into making my own but would love to learn more.