Freezing homegrown beans

Page 2 / 3
uli, Dec 31, 2:37am
Tell me what are you talking about?I do not belong to sites that "buys,sells and swaps" - whatever that might mean.
Talk plain english - you can do when you advertise your bean slicers too.

cookessentials, Dec 31, 2:41am
Obviously your grasp of the English language is somewhat basic. Perhaps READ what was said instead of making silly remarks. I dont advertise bean slicers. If you care to continue being nasty and pathetic, take it elsewhere. people are here to ask questions on beans. You obviously have nothing to add.

pickles7, Dec 31, 7:07am
not very becoming of a businesswoman...cookessentials-
...you sound stressed.

cookessentials, Dec 31, 7:20am
gosh no pickles, I dont do stressed. Seems there is only one stressed poster here, maybe has been eating too many beans LOL

pickles7, Dec 31, 7:54am
mmmm

uli, Dec 31, 8:16am
ah well ... :)

eljayv, Dec 31, 9:44pm
pickles7 wrote:
Suttle , I say. uli.
I used to slice the beans and put them in meal size lots. Give then 2 or 3 minutes in the microwave. Take the bag out and tie a knot, then put the bag into ice cold water.
Thanks pickles sounds quick and easy and at first I thought good idea but then I don't heat plastic bags or any plastic in the microwave so not for me unfortunately.

eljayv, Dec 31, 9:49pm
At first I thought good Idea but then Idon't heat plastic bags in the microwave or any other plastic for that matter so not for me unfortunately

eljayv, Dec 31, 9:49pm
At first I thought good Idea but then Idon't heat plastic bags in the microwave or any other plastic for that matter so not for me unfortunately

prawn_whiskas, Dec 31, 10:03pm
I don't think it matters what you do to them personally, they still smell like dead sweat socks when they are 're-cooked' regardless.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 31, 10:03pm
I don't think it matters what you do to them personally, they still smell like dead sweat socks when they are 're-cooked' regardless.

pickles7, Jan 1, 1:22am
Thanks, I never thought of that. I will be looking at the bags I am using in the mic.
you could try cooking them in a Pyrex dish with 1 Tbsp. of water , then putting them in a plastic bag. I feel it is the water that ruins them.You could try several different ways and choose the method that suits your taste.

lythande1, Jan 1, 4:00am
The only way really is to flash freeze them, which of course isn't possible at home. Blanching and freezing is as good as you'll get, of course they don't taste the same as fresh, but they're still nice.

lythande1, Jan 1, 4:00am
The only way really is to flash freeze them, which of course isn't possible at home. Blanching and freezing is as good as you'll get, of course they don't taste the same as fresh, but they're still nice.

seniorbones, Jan 1, 7:34am
Why do you even bother to comment, doesnt matter what subject or thread you are always so negative and sometimes downright rude.we all know cookessentials listings and her web site and her shop.thankgoodness, where would I be without it! oops is that advertising!

seniorbones, Jan 1, 7:34am
Why do you even bother to comment, doesnt matter what subject or thread you are always so negative and sometimes downright rude..we all know cookessentials listings and her web site and her shop...thankgoodness, where would I be without it!! oops is that advertising??

seniorbones, Jan 1, 7:36am
I'm not keen on frozen beans and my freezer is so full I dont have room anyway but just went out tonight and watered the garden and can see lots will ready in a day or two to pick, and dont mention courgettes! one day they are tiny the next they are huge, its so warm and once watered they grow ten times overnight!

seniorbones, Jan 1, 7:36am
I'm not keen on frozen beans and my freezer is so full I dont have room anyway but just went out tonight and watered the garden and can see lots will ready in a day or two to pick, and dont mention courgettes!! one day they are tiny the next they are huge, its so warm and once watered they grow ten times overnight!

cookessentials, Jan 1, 8:53am
Our courgettes are starting as well as our Lebanese cucumbers, gherkins and our watermelon and rock melons.

dee, Jan 13, 2:05am
Westmark do a great Bean Slicer. I got one for my parents for Christmas. They have been freezing beans since the day I can remember. We are about to try it for the first time this weekend. I have however successfully frozen broccoli and corn in the past (same method of blanching first) and they taste just as good as fresh.

pickles7, May 6, 2:06am
A little while back we were talking about freezing beans. Well I had to freeze some in the end, and will say, we are getting on well with them this year. I cover them in water add salt and microwave them, until they are COOKED,. They are really nice. Roll on next season, I will freeze 100 X 400 gram bags, as they do loose a lot of water. I did 300 gram bags last year, that was a good serving of fresh beans, for the two of us.,

eljayv, Dec 30, 8:12pm
I have found that when I freeze beans from the garden they don't taste like fresh ones ( to be expected) nor do they taste like frozen from supermarket.When I cook them I throw them into boiling water bring back to boil and after a couple of minutes drain water and put them into a fresh lot of water and finish cooking them, that seems to take some of that strong flavour away but still not as good as I would like.Can someone tell me how to get them really tasty either in the freezing process or the cooking!

terraalba, Dec 30, 9:43pm
Do you have a been shredder! I find that makes a lot of difference to the texture of home frozen beans. I agree with the poster who suggested you are cooking them too long. If you used a bean shredder the time they are exposed to hot water and cooking is even less.

gardie, Dec 30, 11:16pm
I use a bean slicer - one of the old fashion spongs ones and then put them into small freezer bags and freeze them.No blanching needed.I then stir fry them from frozen and I don't think that you can taste the difference.Just a spoonful of oil and then keep them moving in the pan.Salt when cooked.

beaker59, Dec 30, 11:22pm
Haven't seen one of those since I was a kid (quite some time back) my grandparents had and used one you turned a handle and fed the beans in one at a time it removed the string from either side and cut into pieces and was extrordinarily fast grandma bottled the beans in glass jars she had a shed full of bottles of fruit and all kinds of veg before winter set in she also made pickles and sourkraut and dried meat and smoked fish. No one in her family ever starved mind you she looked after a massive family through the depression so i guess you just had too.