Mushy Peas. Why are they different.

Page 1 / 3
rojill, Dec 28, 9:10am
Can you use ordinary peas and treat them somehow ?

firemansgirl, Dec 28, 12:32pm
Probably! Although having lived in the UK and being converted to mushy peas when I was there, I find it just as easy to go to the supermarket here and buy a tin of Bachelors Mushy Peas. They are soo good.

aoc1, Dec 28, 12:36pm
No its a certain type of pea that I can't remember the name of right now you have to soak them withatablet for 24 hrs. I agree with firemansgirl buying them in a can is easier.

trah, Dec 28, 5:37pm
Mushy peas are made from dried blue peas.

wellygoggles, Dec 28, 6:13pm
Mushy peas are a specific strain of peas called Marrowfat peas

gaspodetwd, Dec 28, 6:15pm
You use dried blue peas and cook them all day in a slow cooker with plenty of water. Simple. And cheap. Salt them at the table.

rojill, Dec 28, 11:37pm
Ok. Thanks for that.
Am on the hunt now for Marrowfat peas or dried blue peas, neither of which I have heard of.

Wonders if M10 or the WH sell packets of seeds !

buzzy110, Dec 29, 3:43am
We just used to use the dried peas used in soup mix because that is all you could buy once upon a time. Don't know if you can get the proper peas now or even if the dried peas were the proper peas but they make perfectly good mushy peas anyway.

vintagekitty, Dec 29, 3:50am
This is a Jamie oliver recipe that uses frozen peas instead of the marrowfat peas and B. Soda. My mama emailed me the recipe, dont know what it tastes like, she said its fab?

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 handful fresh mint, leaves picked
500gfrozen peas
2 large knobs butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions, mint, and peas. Cover and leave for a few minutes to steam. Mash with a potato masher. You can do this with a food processor as well, just pulse it until smooth. Whether mashing or pulsing, when it's done add the butter and season to taste

kuaka, Dec 29, 7:58am
Yuk - mushy peas or pease pudding - they are both revolting.Can't bring myself to eat either.They get all clagged up around your mouth, and you just can't seem to get rid of the stuff.Blerk!

olwen, Dec 29, 8:01am
Bin Inn have blue peas.Bought some today because of this thread.As far as I know they are very like the split green peas in soup mix (just not split).They are on the soup aisle in most supermarkets.

buzzy110, Dec 29, 8:04am
What a diatribe. Is there any health basis on which you can legitimately criticise a food or is it because you just don't like mushy peas and feel that you have to vent?

Mushy peas can be really delicious and in the middle of winter, are a lovely nesting food for those who feel in need of a pick-me-up, especially if served with finely sliced mint steeped in malt vinegar for ½hr.

kuaka, Dec 29, 9:18am
Sorry if my comments upset or annoyed you.I was merely giving my opinion, not venting.I just happen to find both mushy peas and pease pudding horrible.They (especially the pease pudding) just seemed to cling to my teeth and tongue and I just didn't like it at all.Tried it when I was about 7 or 8 when it was served at my aunts wedding in the north of England, and then again when I was 40 - I found it just as awful second time round.Each to their own.But mushy peas and pease pudding aren't for me.

rainrain1, Dec 29, 7:14pm
I agree blurk blurk :-)

buzzy110, Dec 30, 12:13am
No didn't upset me, however, don't you think that your objection to a food is irrelevant to a thread. If I did as you have done then 95% of all the threads on these boards would be peppered with my negative comments about the foods, recipes and ingredients.

Quite rightly, I have been discouraged from doing this, and I even remember you adding your voice to that chorus so how about letting people have their say on what foods they want to eat without the "blerking..." input.

If you don't like mushy peas either keep it to yourself or start another thread for mushy peas haters.

rainrain1, Dec 30, 12:56am
hee hee

jag5, Dec 30, 4:36am
Marafat peas soaked overnight in water and baking soda, then cooked long and slow with salt until mushy.Yummy.Haven't tried the tinned ones.

Was married to a pom for a number of years so learnt to like them....and our local fish and chip shop was owned by poms, every thursday night they did mushy peas, and customers queued up for them.

kuaka, Dec 30, 7:24am
buzzy - you obviously have a better memory than me, as I have no idea to what you refer when you say "you have been discouraged etc" and you remember me adding my voice to the chorus - so if you can enlighten me, so be it.I don't remember.I do remember not enjoying mushy peas or pease pudding, and if it's not okay for me to say so, then so be that too.I will back out and refrain from adding my opinions to the recipes thread.I thought the people in here were a bit more friendly than they are on some of the other threads.Happy New Year.

bunny51, Dec 30, 7:30am
I love ham and mushy peas. My mother used to make them in winter. Sadly she has now passed away so can't make them anymore and I haven't made them because I think my family will have the same opinion as Kuaka. Lol

gamma71, Dec 30, 9:23am
Blue peas from bin inn soak over night in enough boiling water to cover add a tsp baking sodanext day rinse soda off then boil gently till mushy bout 5 mins yummy

punkinthefirst, Dec 31, 11:34am
When winters were long and cold and hard, and spring was a long time coming, these would have been a delicious, nutritious, protein-filled staple, and a comfort food. They're still delicious, if soaked and cooked properly, but we don't need them any more. Those who don't like 'em can leave them.

griffo4, Oct 25, 7:33am
Bumping as hubby found the blue peas today and wants to make mushy peas

jessie981, Oct 25, 7:40am
Pie Cart meal, potato, pie & mushy peas. Loved.

carlosjackal, Oct 25, 7:41am
Mmmm YUM - that sounds veerrry nice! Will try that tomorrow night with left over corned beef and cauliflower cheese!

lythande1, Oct 25, 6:36pm
Mushy peas are dried marrowfat peas which are first soaked overnight in water and then simmered with a little sugar and salt until they form a thick green lumpy soup.

Although:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jamie-oliver/minty-mushy-peas-recipe/index.html