Peas Porridge hot

katje, May 28, 5:36am
MMMM Just got this off a nice site on the internet felt like sharing.

8 cups vegetable stock or water (I used 4 cups of each)
2 cups yellow split peas, sorted and rinsed
2 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium potatoes, cubed
2 medium carrots, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
4 allspice berries
4 whole black peppercorns
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
2 tsp salt

It's honestly this simple: bring the stock/water to a boil in a big pot. Dump everything into the pot. Bring back to a boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer about 1 1/2 hours. It's a good idea to stay close by and check it periodically, in case the heat is too high and your soup starts to scorch.

Dunk in a spoon and make sure everything's well cooked. If the peas are still grainy, let it cook awhile longer. Once done, puree the soup in batches, using a blender or food processor. Pickles go really well with this soup. We tried chopping up a dill pickle and mixing it in, (post-pureeing)
and that was pretty tasty. The garnish on top of the soup in the picture is some escabeche I made this summer in my canning frenzy. It's sort of like that Italian pickled-vegetable mix giardiniera, which you can buy in the store. Good stuff.

Enjoy, and stay warm, wherever you are.

indy95, May 28, 5:47am
That sounds good, katje. Just what's needed for a cold weekend. Thanks for posting the recipe.

katje, May 28, 5:52am
apparently if you just add a little less stock or more peas you will make it not so much a soup but a porridge. More liquid = soup, less (or more peas) = porridge. MMMMM

frances1266, May 28, 9:38pm
That sounds good and very economical, thanks.

katje, May 29, 4:22am
very welcome. Im going to try it out myself this week too

jag5, May 29, 6:52am
Peas porridge hot,
peas porridge cold,
peas porridge in the pot,
Nine days old

LOL

jag5, May 29, 6:53am
ex used to recite this all the time. An old Nujrsery Rhyme apparently. LOL

elliehen, May 29, 11:26am
. . and the rest:
Some like it hot
Some like it cold
Some like it in the pot
Nine days old

elliehen, May 29, 11:40am
katje, it's got a good history too :)
Pease pudding, sometimes known as pease pottage or pease porridge, is a baked vegetable product, which mainly consists of split yellow or Carlin peas, water, salt, and spices, often cooked with a bacon or ham joint.

It is similar in texture to hummus and is light yellow in colour, with a mild taste. Pease pudding was traditionally produced in England, especially in the industrial North Eastern areas. It is often served with ham or bacon and stottie cakes. In Southern England it is usually served with faggots. Also in Southern England is the small village of Pease Pottage which, according to tradition, gets its name from serving pease pottage to convicts either on their way from London to the South Coast or from East Grinstead to Horsham.

It is a traditional part of Jiggs dinner in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Pease pudding is featured in a nursery rhyme, Pease Porridge Hot.

In Beijing cuisine, Wandouhuang is a sweetened and chilled pease pudding made with yellow split peas or shelled mung beans, sometimes flavoured with sweet osmanthus blossoms and dates. A refined version of this snack is said to have been a favourite of Empress Dowager Cixi.

Edited to add source: Wikipedia

katje, May 30, 5:09am
God I still love that song :)

donnabeth, May 31, 8:52pm
I made pea soup in the weekend with a bacon hock.

It is so thick I can eat it with a fork. Absolutely yummy; a real winter flavour. The rest is in the freezer awaiting another frosty Saturday to be reheated with fresh homemade bread. I chopped some warmed chorizo sausage to add to add to the plates and topped with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt and sprinkled with parsley.

katje, Jun 26, 3:55am
with the split yellow or the green peas?