MInted frozen peas

dragonzflame, Sep 4, 3:52am
Due to not looking at the packaging properly, my husband accidentally bought frozen minted peas at the supermarket. One meal with them and the whole kitchen smelled like toothpaste.

I need some recipes to get rid of them! He wants to cut his losses and bung them in the compost and pay more attention in future, but I say 'starving children in Ethiopia' and I'm determined to do something with them. Also, WHY do they still sell those things?

korbo, Sep 4, 3:54am
love minted peas, with all lamb meals.Never been put off with a smell.

lythande1, Sep 4, 4:48am
Mmmm. mint peas. But I grow my own mint so don't need to buy ready minted.

Toothpaste is actually spearmint, not common mint.

thuntzster, Sep 4, 5:12am

unknowndisorder, Sep 4, 5:50am
As a kid, I remember mum doing the same. I think they did get binned as none of us would eat them.

I have a bag of broad beans in the freezer, thinking the same as you, but the compost bin does call out for them lol (hadn't had them for years so thought would see if I still hated them). Ah well, I know I can make broad bean spread, but . Lol

Sorry, no help for the minted peas.

lilyfield, Sep 4, 6:33am
Soak them in cold water and rinse off before quick cook.

bubblegirlblack, Sep 4, 8:23am
Make minted pea dip. Whiz frozen peas with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and Parmesan cheese. Keep a bit chunky. Yummo

dragonzflame, Sep 4, 9:21pm
ooh, that sounds good - might be nice as a pasta sauce too :-)

I don't mind mint with peas as such, but this is just so strong! Thanks for the suggestions, I am even more determined to use them up.

issymae, Sep 4, 11:11pm
mash them and have mushy peas

groomingtools, Sep 5, 5:43am
Love minted peas. Here is a recipe I love and I use any peas.Smashed minty peas. Bring 1 cup chicken stock to boil, add 3 cups minted peas and a sprig of mint. Simmer for 7 minutes uncovered - liquid mostly absorbed, Mash with 1 Tb yoghurt and season if you want. I would try the same with Broad beans

tjman, Sep 5, 6:17am
YES! soo nice. I did the same thing as OP and it's the best way to go.

sarahb5, Sep 5, 9:34am
They are fantastic as a salad with red onion, capsicum, tomato and feta

sarahb5, Sep 5, 9:51am
Squeeze them out of the grey shell - they are sweet and juicy without thst

sugarbear, Sep 5, 5:18pm
I've never understood why you'd want to ruin perfectly delicious peas but putting mint on them. My condolences.

sarahb5, Sep 5, 9:34pm
They don't need mint but the minted peas are deliciously fresh tasting in a salad as I mentioned above. Its a bit like this one but I use minted peas instead of fresh mint and capsicum instead of radish although that would be good too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/pea-mint-and-radish-salad/13465/?utm_term=.ea492df0d809

illusion_, Sep 6, 2:43am
exactly

a pain to do lots but its not like its every day

rarogal, Sep 18, 11:32pm
That's all I ever buy. love them. and never have a lasting problem with the mint aroma!

mecanix, Sep 19, 6:39am
eat them frozen.

delicious.

amasser, Sep 19, 7:26am
You say 'perfectly delicious'. Some say tasteless without sauce.

p1glet, Dec 23, 10:44am
I LOVE baby/baby minted peas. Eat them at nearly every meal.
But I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would eat the adults!