Green split peas

ceila, May 25, 1:11am
when you soak them do you use hot water or cold
Cheers

frances1266, May 25, 2:28am
Can use either. I dont think they need soaking at all but need to be cooked for around 1-1/2 hours.

245sam, May 25, 2:45am
ceila, I'm with frances 1266, split peas do NOT need to be soaked -I've just checked re this in one of Alison Holst's books where there is a chart re soaking times and the need to or not soak dried beans, split peas, etc. :-))

ceila, May 25, 2:55am
Oh ok thanks

motorbo, May 25, 3:10am
I don’t soak them either, i use them for soup plus I have a yummy recipe to make them into cakes like fritters they are spicy and yummy, I do soak them when I use them this way, but that’s the only time

gr8stuf4me, May 25, 3:23am
Motorbo, would you kindly share the recipe for the fritters, would really appreciate it. Thanks

lilyfield, May 25, 5:35am
I soak mine- saves cooking time- therefore electricity. Bills are getting too high again.

marywea, May 25, 5:53am
Do not add salt till after lentils are cooked. Salt prevents them breaking down and you will have hard little bullets.

motorbo, May 25, 6:13am
courtesy of the great Annabel Langbein, i usually serve them with salads and pita bread

Tibetan Split Pea Cakes
Prep 10 minutes
Cook 10-15 minutes
makes about 3 dozen

These spicy little cakes can also be made with lentils or dried beans. They can be made ahead of time and re-heated.

1 cup split peas
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp root ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup milk
½ tsp baking soda
2/3 cup self-raising flour
oil for deep frying

Soak the peas overnight in cold water. Rinse several times then drain thoroughly. Place in a blender and blend with all the other ingredients to a semi-smooth mixture. Heat a heavy-bottomed fry-pan over medium heat and oil it lightly. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture in the pan, flatten slightly into small pancakes and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until golden. They will keep, covered for about 2 days in the fridge or they can be frozen. Re-heat for 5-8 minutes in oven at 220°C.

Busy Day Dinner Idea: Serve with a salad of cherry tomatoes, roasted red pepper, cucumber and mint, with Tibetan Yoghurt Sauce drizzled over.

Tibetan yoghurt sauce: Puree together until smooth 1 peeled tomato, ½ - 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 cup unsweetened yoghurt, 2 finely chopped cloves garlic, 1 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger, ½-1 tsp salt (to taste) and ¼ cup chopped mint or coriander. Keep chilled until ready to serve. Makes about 1 ¼ cups.

From Annabel’s book, The Best of Annabel Langbein: Great Food for Busy Lives.
Photography by Kieran Scott

gr8stuf4me, May 25, 6:38am
Thanks so much - sounds lovely - will give them a go soon.

tixy, Jun 7, 10:12am
And you will "fluff" a lot if you add salt during the cooking process. LOL