Chick Peas

199holden, Jan 21, 11:36pm
Does any one have a quick and easy chick pea salad recipe!

frances1266, Jan 22, 12:13am
This is from the Vegetarian Adventure Cook Book by Rowan Bishop and Sue Carruthers and is really good.
Spicy Chickpea Salad.
1 small cauli or equiv broccoli
2c cooked chickpeas
2t turmeric
3 firm red tomatoes
1-1/2 med onions, finely chpd
1/2t gr. cumin
1t salt or more to taste
1t freshly ground pepper
1/4c chpd parsley
3T oil, pref olive
3-4T lemon juice
Break or slice cauli into small sprigs.Cook in boiling water 3 min.
Drain, refresh under cold running water, drain again
Toss chickpeas and turmeric in large bowl.Add cauli and gently toss again.Cut each tomato into 8, remove and discard seeds.Add tomatoes, onion, cumin, salt, pepper and parsley to chickpeas and cauli. Whisk oil, lemon juice and extra seasoning to taste with a fork.Pour dressing over salad and toss gently together before serving.

199holden, Jan 22, 12:17am
t meaning tea spoon!
T meaning table spoon!

elliehen, Jan 22, 12:20am
In case frances doesn't come back soon, I'll stick my neck out and say yes.the t/T is a common recipe-writing shorthand.

199holden, Jan 22, 12:20am
Sweet thanks :)

frances1266, Jan 22, 1:39am
Yes t = teaspoon, T= tablespoon

wildflower, Jan 22, 2:39am
Great just with drained corn and other summer veg.

199holden, Jan 22, 2:43am
Thanks for all ur recipes and tips, never knew how easy it was! Just finished making it now

frances1266, Jan 22, 6:52pm
This recipe looks more attractive when you use broccoli. The green of the brocc with the yellow of the turmeric is very colourful.

ruby19, Jan 22, 6:56pm
Try the spicy aubergine and chickpea salad in the vegetarian thread. It is on the last page. One of my favs. I now when baking the eggplant just give it a sprinkle of ras el houlte (sp) moroccan spice.

bev00, Jan 22, 6:59am
These sound good. I have yummy chickpea salad but not at home - will postwhen i return

nauru, Jan 22, 10:00am
nauru wrote:
Curried Chickpea Salad.

Can chickpeas drained or 2 cups cooked chickpeas, 1/2 red onion or 1 spring onion finely chopped , 1/2 red pepper finely diced, 1 garlic clove finely chopped, salt & pepper to taste, 2 tablsp mayonnaise, 2 tablsp sour cream, 1 teasp curry powder, 1/2 teasp gd cumin, 1 tablsp fresh coriander chopped. Mix all ingredients together and put in dish and chill until required. Also good to do day before & chill overnight.

This is a favourite with family and friends

:)
Thanks for posting my recipe, Ellie
This salad is also nice with some lightly cooked cauliflower added to it

kumerakid, Jan 23, 8:12am
Nauru = my friends and family love yr curried chickpea salad,i get asked to make it when we have bbq's

anne1955, Jan 23, 8:16am
No but have a stunning chickpea and pumpkin dish.a very old food in a minute on still on there sight.it's yummy and I don't do healthy haha

courtney2004, Jan 25, 11:00am
I use tinned or fresh Chick peas and make a salad topping for taking places it always goes down really well.
Toss in oil ( I cheat and put a couple of drops of oil in a click clack container! add patted dry chick peas add what ever herbs and spices in the cupboard like i have done: Garlic Flakes, Mixed herb, Papakia and then mixed herb, curry, garlic. its endless really and toss in mix and then into oven on a flat dish for 10minutes at 180 cool and toss over salad or have in a snack bowl.

nauru, Jan 26, 3:54am
Great to hear, one of our favourites too.The recipe has travelled far and wide over the years.

finlight, Jan 27, 8:30am
do you have to soak chickpeas overnight !

nfh1, Jan 27, 9:13am
I made it yesterday and it was lovely - everyone loved it - thank you,