Attention all Poms - looking for Mushy peas

hilt_dwane, Apr 16, 5:45am
I'm hoping someone out there (more likely a Pom) knows of a source of Mushy peas here in NZ. Otherwise known as Marrowfat peas. I tasted them for the first time when on holiday in the UK and hubby who is a Pom is always hankering for them. I have found them available tinned in Countdown but am wanting to do my own, hence I want a source of dried marrowfat peas. I know that blue peas can be used as a substitute and got them some time ago at Binn Inn but cannot find them these days. Can anyone help? Thanks

jag5, Apr 16, 5:55am
My understanding is: Soak the blue peas, or marrowfat (sp) peas in water and Baking Soda for 24 hours (or overnight), drain off, then cover with water, add salt, and boil until mushy.

Love them too... . years ago, local fish and chip shop used to be owned by Poms, and they did them every Thursday Night. They were busy too.

buzzy110, Apr 16, 6:07am
Don't have to be a Pom to have mushy peas. They are easily enough made from the packets of split peas sold in the supermarket in the soup mix aisle.

I used to make it and have it sprinkled with vinegar. I know someone who used mushy peas and vinegar and steamed mussels to lose something like 4 stone. She lived on that for years after. Only don't do it if you want a girl. Her boys, pre-mushy peas and mussels, are normal height. Her daughter, post-mushy peas and mussels diet, stopped growing at 6ft! !

So it must have been a totally healthy combination.

Note: The mussels and peas were eaten separately but both were eaten with vinegar.

mrsdoobercoons, Apr 16, 7:26am
They are used in Indian cooking a lot, so try any Indian spice type shops - they always have them there.

grandmasue1, Apr 16, 8:08am
I buy them at New World in the tin vege section but now that I see a recipe here I will also try that.

jessie981, Apr 16, 10:22am
Ditto grandmasue, I buy them when we have for pea, pie & spud.

aktow, Apr 16, 4:51pm
there is a shop/ show room inonehunga auckland that stock only imported english products, , you name it he stocks it.

kiwitrish, Apr 16, 8:51pm
Woolies/Countdown sell them in tins. Yummy.

daleaway, Apr 17, 1:30am
x2
Heavens above! #1, you clearly asked for a source of dried marrowfat peas and instead you got recipes, reminiscences, and numerous people telling you to buy tinned ones, which you specifically said you did not want.

You can buy dried marrowfat peas at Commonsense Organics in Wellington and Kapiti, so I suggest your first phone call should be to your local organics shop. These peas are grown in Canterbury, NZ, and used as stock feed.

hilt_dwane, Feb 7, 10:03am
Thanks for that daleaway