Roasting a rump on bbq for new years ave

uli, Dec 26, 8:44am
I do hope you have a covered yard, as it looks pretty grim weather wise for New Years Eve. Keep up with the weather warnings - apart from the recipe! Good luck for the roasting rump - let us know how it went :)

fisher, Dec 26, 12:03pm
This is great if it can be prepared and leftin the fridge for a few hours . Sliver 3 - 5 cloves of garlic and using a small sharp knife, make incisions into the beef and place in slivers of garlic and some spears of rosemary tips. On your cutting board, grind up some black peppercorns and rock salt and fine chop some fresh rosemary and spread out.Remove "some" of the excess fat and brush olive oil over meat by making a brush of rosemary sprigs and dippinginto a glass of olive oil. Roll into the mix to coat.Place meat fat side up on a small old slide on top of a bed of rosemary sprigs. (place in fridge)
Fire up your hooded BBQ with all the burners on FULL. (6 is real good) and place slide in centre of BBQ.after 15 mins or so,turn the meat over.the idea is to get it so its "scorched" on the outside all over. when this is achieved. turn the 4 centre burners off.and then brush the meat with the rosemary brush and oil as often as needed . test the meat with a thermometer.If you haven't got one. get one. you want the internal temp at the thickest part when finished to be around 70ish. Cooking time is relevant to size of roast.This gives a crusty outside andpinky inside.
Take the meat out and place on cutting board. make a small cut to see if juices are clear and not bloody. If clear leave, covered with foil to rest for at least 15 minutes. If not, back into BBQ for a little longer. 70-75 temp should be spot on tho. Slightly less is best. It will continue cooking in its residual heat.you dont want if dried out so keep an eye out at all times.from go to whoa.
Now I have been know to add mustard powder. OR .fine chopped red chillies. OR grated ginger OR Horseradish to the outer crust. remember it's only a thin wee crust with these flavours on it .

paulie12, Dec 28, 6:49am
Hey guys Im looking at roasting a 4.7kg lump of rump on the bbq this year. I normally do pork but this year Ive decided to try something different. The question is how long will should take to cook slowly ive got a hooded bbq. Also what else can I rub it with the crashed garlic? Cheers. Paulie

mamaa, Dec 28, 6:52am
If you are going to use the hood, I would wrap it in foil.Place loads of garlic and a little olive oil.You can put all sorts of herbs if you like.I would say just keep having a peep at it, and use a skewer, ram it in, and look for juices.We like med rare meat, but if you want it well done make sure juices are clear.But would advise a little pink to be sure it is tender.Rump is the best on the bbq....

mamaa, Dec 28, 6:53am
PSI would put cloves inside the meat.Just make slits and place crushed cloves of fresh garlic in,also fresh ginger is just delicious with rump steak....

crystalmoon, Dec 28, 11:24am
beef is also nice with some whole grain mustard and crushed garlic rubbed on top.Dont forget to place some sliced onions and carrots underneath to help elivate(sp) it and add flavour for the gravy.

gojojo2, Dec 28, 11:35am
This takes a wee bit of time but so well the effort - from Annabel Laingbein:
6 cloves garlic crushed
zest of two lemons
3/4 C lemon juice
2 tsp crushed chillies
3 Tblsp crushed ginger
1/2 C olive oil
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground tumeric
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
If not using immediately, store in in a covered container in the fridge for a few weeks

gojojo2, Dec 28, 11:38am
Tried and tested on a butterflied leg of lamb on Christmas Day All enjoyed

sjc72, Dec 29, 2:04am
I bought a meat thermometer a while ago, it is excellent to tell how cooked the meat is - wish I had got one years ago and they are not very expensive _ much less than the rump anyway!

guest, Jan 12, 2:19am
Pin my tail and call me a doeynk, that really helped.

guest, Jan 13, 5:47pm
At first glance, the first photo lokeod like the sheep was standing on the back of the goat. It made me do a double look. Great photos.I like how use captured the intensity of the colors in the last photo. There is a lot going on in the photo, so it draws me in looking at all the items.Well done.