What to do with left over turkey

Page 1 / 2
uli, Dec 26, 8:45am
bump for another Xmas recipe

rainrain1, Dec 26, 9:03am
May I suggest you shove it up a few nasty posters, right where the sun don't shine

sarahb5, Dec 26, 9:40am
Our turkey was delicious - moist, well-flavoured and the stuffing was delicious too.I also put butter under the skin and bacon over the top - it was rested but only for about half an hour.Anyway, not much left now - just enough for Christmas dinner, a few slices for sandwiches last night, lunch today and the rest in a pie for dinner tomorrow - I save the darker meat for the pie as it's most flavoursome and the white meat makes yummy sandwiches anyway.Its a once a year thing and the rest of the family requested turkey but I don't go overboard and buy some 8kg thing .4kg does us nicely, enough to enjoy but not too much so we get sick of it.

ant_sonja, Dec 27, 12:49am
We had wild turkey and pork, was delicious! Am cooking down the left overs toady with some extra seasonings and herbs, will freeze for a hearty winter casserole :-)

katalin2, Dec 27, 1:12am
I always cook the turkey in an oven bag- long and slow, with apricot stuffing. I don't brine it, nor do I put butter under the skin- I treat it like a large chook. Stays lovely and moist in the roasting bag. Rested it for about 20-25 minutes. Had leftovers for lunch with friends yesterday; tea was turkey inside warm pita breads with fresh salad from garden with avocado and mayo; friends coming over tonight and salad with turkey on menu- carcass will be frozen for a winter soup.

lythande1, Dec 27, 3:13am
Turkey has more flavour than chicken, can't see what the problem is, except perhaps some people can't cook it!

Anyway, pretty much nay chicken recipe will do. Turkey and mushroom cannelloni perhaps!

fec2003, Dec 27, 3:22am
As kids, in the UK, we had turkeys three or four times the size of what passes for a turkey here! And we had turkey to eat for a week! Mum was very inventive and our favourite was using a mix of cooked turkey, minced pork and lots of sliced onion to make a potato-topped pie, a bit like a cottage pie, but with a layer of pastry at the bottom. It was then served with green veges and mashed swede, as being winter we didn't have a lot of veges to choose from! (I'm almost ancient and we didn't have many canned veges and couldnt afford a freezer at that time!)

It was a good way to use up the scrappy bits and stretch them for a large family. If I have turkey left, when we can afford one, I deliberately keep some meat and make this, just for my hubby and me. It's a symbolic meal, signalling the end of turkey-time!

We didn't do the big Christmas meal this year, but we DO have a turkey in the freezer, won from our local paper. So mid-winter 2012, we'll be dining in style! (hubby is recovering from oral cancer and the healing will be even better by then, so chomping on his favourite foods will be a reality again!)

buzzy110, Dec 27, 5:04am
Like you for instance! That post was both aggressive and uncalled for. Did you not have a very nice Christmas this year!

rainrain1, Dec 27, 5:26am
Just loverly thankyou.turkey 'n' all :-)))

buzzy110, Dec 27, 5:40am
That is loverly then. Perhaps there was some other reason for you to post such an ugly comment.

rainrain1, Dec 27, 5:41am
I was meaning under their hats,,,, where did you think i meant

praxis2, Dec 27, 9:47pm
recipes, does any one have any ideas please.

buzzy110, Dec 27, 10:10pm
Personally I'd feed it to the neighbour's cat, who is rather unfussy about real meat. No just kidding, but you gotta admit, turkey is not the nicest food, especially as most NZers don't bother brining, and I often wonder why it is used as a celebratory meal when it is so blah and families are so small.

margyr, Dec 27, 10:13pm
make a cheese sauce and do it like a fish pie.

kiwitrish, Dec 27, 11:00pm
I have just made two large leek and turkey flans from Delia Smiths recipe.Bit of faffing about but well worth it.Taste so good.Hubby looks forward to them each Christmas.

dezzie, Dec 27, 11:03pm
lol we didn't have tooo much leftover because I got a smaller one, so we had turkey burgers boxing day night and it was about done, and they were nice too, cranberry sauce instead of tomato sauce, turkey, stuffing, lettuce, tomato and mayo.

uli, Dec 27, 11:26pm
Personally I would just get it out of the fridge and eat it ...

motorbo, Dec 27, 11:29pm
couldnt get one this year as i had to leave it too late, but got turkey breasts and mince and made my usual secert stuffing and blended it with the meat in an oven dish with bacon covering it, was yummy and we had the leftovers with gravy

ibcreative, Dec 27, 11:33pm
I agree. We usually have a big leg of lamb at Christmas, rather than turkey. Much more flavour!

uli, Dec 27, 11:40pm
What is your "secert stuffing"??

bedazzledjewels, Dec 28, 12:04am
I did stuffed turkey breasts this year again and they are delicious cold. No need to 'doctor' them. Would never go back to cooking the whole bird again unless I had a huge crowd who would finish it all off in one go.

pp11, Dec 28, 12:55am
I saw Jamie Oliver do a delicious looking turkey pie. Basically saute leeks and bacon, add stock and cream, throw in left over turkey, plenty of black pepper, sieve as very saucy, put filling in pie dish with pastry over the top and use the sieved sauce as gravy.

lindylambchops1, Dec 28, 1:00am
Awww...we didn't have turkey this year...maybe you could send us some?Thanks ;)

gaspodetwd, Dec 28, 2:47am
Turkey is just gorgeous as long as it is cooked just right. I love turkey soup, you can make turkey curry, stir fry it,add to hot sammies with fried onions, and best of all- Pie!

terraalba, Dec 28, 2:52am
I am sure someone has written a book that has a title like 1010 ways to serve left over turkey.It's really overated for taste. But I believe it has some good nutrients in it.