Talk turkey to me .

sarahb5, Dec 22, 12:48am
What a quandry .

I am having friends over for the traditional roast Christmas dinner but on Boxing Day - I was planning to buy either a whole frozen turkey or turkey breast but they are pretty expensive at the moment - would you risk leaving it until Christmas Eve or even Boxing Day to buy? Will all the turkeys disappear from the fridges and freezers of the supermarket on Christmas Eve?

I see Tegel also have cranberry stuffed 2.3kg chickens which would be cheaper and probably just as nice but I'd probably need 2 or maybe just 1 and a bigger piece of ham .

We're having a BBQ on Christmas Day so there won't be any leftovers to add to for Boxing Day.

wasgonna, Dec 22, 1:18am
They usually have them on special after Christmas so doubt they would be sold out completely.

Tegel are hideous. Pay more and get something like Canter Valley.

sarahb5, Dec 22, 1:36am
Never seen Canter Valley - turkeys in New Plymouth all seem to be Tegel - probably because there’s a Tegel plant up the road

sarahb5, Dec 22, 1:40am
Countdown online tells me that Canter Valley are not available in my area - maybe they're only available in the South Island - but I've never had any problem with Tegel chickens or turkeys which are pricey enough for me

snapperheadrkp, Dec 22, 3:25am
I would go for the Cranberry Chickens which I presume are fresh? Easy to store and cook plus leftover chicken is far better to eat than Turkey (in my opinion) Also overcooked Turkey can be dry and bland and won't impress your visitors

bottynoodle, Dec 22, 3:51am
I've cooked the Tegel turkey breast stuffed with cranberry and they are perfectly tasty.Don't overcook and serve with a Jamie Oliver or Mary Berry gravy and they are very tasty.Beware the food snobs on this board.

blueviking, Dec 22, 4:54am
So if you buy a frozen turkey on boxing day to get it on special, how are you going to defrost it to cook it?

sarahb5, Dec 22, 5:11am
In the microwave

sarahb5, Dec 22, 5:13am
I’m going with the chicken as a back up but have cooked plenty of turkeys and never been dry - I shove butter under the skin and an orange in the cavity but the breast roast would be easy because there’s no bones

blueviking, Dec 22, 6:26pm
Takes a lot to overcook a turkey. Been cooking them for over 20yrs and yet to dry one out or have a bad Tegal one.
Instead of the microwave(you'd have to have a big one) try cooking it at a low heat to defrost it and don't forget the giblets

sarahb5, Dec 22, 9:40pm
If I get a turkey it’ll only be a small one anyway - I can defrost a 3kg chicken in there so I’m sure turkey will be fine

dreamers, Dec 23, 1:25am
I always go on Boxing Day and buy a couple of fresh turkeys at half price from Countdown and then we cut them in half and vacumn pack and freeze them .At half price they are good buying and there is always some available.They don’t seem to reduce frozen ones .

venna2, Dec 23, 1:28am
If you buy a frozen turkey, won't it need at least two days to thaw?

sarahb5, Dec 23, 4:28am
See above - can defrost in the microwave

sarahb5, Dec 23, 4:29am
THats good to hear. My brother has just let me have the family secret stuffing recipe too!

karlymouse, Dec 23, 10:55am
According to Nigella. most people overcook Turkey which is why its dry. I tried her recipe of only cooking for around 3 hours but leaving for around the same time in the oven and it was gorgeous.

sarahb5, Nov 14, 8:56am
Mine has never been dry - more by luck probably