Tegal Turkey Soak in Brine or not?

frag, Dec 22, 7:09pm
I have a tegal turkey and have just realised it is tenderbasted. Should I still soak in brine over night? Was thinking of using Nigella's recipe.Tenderbasted turkey has flavour of it's own, maybe soaking in brine is too much? Next year will get organic or free range turkey.

shop-a-holic, Dec 22, 7:13pm
Tegal has already processed your turkey and injected it's "tenderbaste" into it. Brining works for fresh turkeys.

frag, Dec 22, 7:16pm
Yes, thats what I thought. Don't like the look of the numbers on the packet. That's why I will buy free range or organic next year and do it myself.

shop-a-holic, Dec 22, 7:32pm
I'm sitting here at the door...waiting for NZ Couriers to deliver my fresh turkey. It's a size 11 and weighs 24.2lbs. I've also ordered a fresh Goose at 7.7lbs for New Years Eve.

I've also decided on Nigella's Maple, Orange and Spice brine etc but will use Apple juice instead of water.

Unfortuately, I won't be leaving in outside on a deck like she did (giggles).

crails, Dec 22, 8:51pm
x1
Where can you get a fresh turkey I can't stand the flavour of those tender basted ones.When I wasa child we got Croziers and they were just plain?

shop-a-holic, Dec 22, 9:24pm

uli, Dec 22, 11:16pm
Haha - about "tender basted" - since years I have asked on these boards if anyone actually knows what that means ...

And no - I do not think you need to do anything else - except to be prepared for lots of water exciting your turkey - which you have paid for of course on a "meat price" ...

uli, Dec 22, 11:19pm
For more info check here:

http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/articles/2006/september/ask-the-experts-tender-basted-chicken

... and remember they won't tell you how many kilos of water they injected - and you paid for LOL :)

timetable, Dec 7, 9:55am
"martha" is in her last night of nigella's brine mix and smells amazing!!!!into the oven first thing tomorrow morning.... oh she will be a beautiful bird!!!