Tenderising a sad old turkey

daisyk, May 26, 2:34am
I've been given a turkey, which I've spent time hanging, plucking and cleaning. Sadly the turkey looks very sad and ancient. Its sternum is very firm (no bounce at all), and he looks like he's been in this world for years.
So, I don't want to give him up without trying. Does anyone have a recipe that will at least make up for all the effort I (and the shooter) have put in.
Thank you.

pericles, May 26, 2:36am
i have in past stuffed and wrapped the turket in real fatty bacon.
It was tender as and juicy

jellybeanbee04, May 26, 3:44am
What about cooking it in a slow cooker if it fits? Not that I have alot of expereince but they always seem to keep meat really tender

daleaway, May 26, 4:06am
Old poultry are usually known as "boilers", so I would slow-cook it - in pieces if necessary - in liquid. Any turkey or chicken stew or casserole recipe would do. Cooking in wine might help too.

michelle313, May 26, 4:20am
brine it for 24 hours and it will be tender and juicy! ! !

fisher, May 26, 4:36am
chop up into pieces. . into crockpot. . add 2 bay leaves. . a sliced onion and some peppercorns. . 2 tsp salt. . fill with water till pieces are covered and lid on all day on auto. .
Use the leftovers for a boil up chicken/turkey stock...

elliehen, May 26, 4:42am
Thought for a moment you had a relationships question and were on the wrong messageboard ;)

valentino, May 26, 4:47am
Bake it in a "cocoon" with a wee hole (vent) to add moisture whilst being baked. Trying to remember this very old recipe.

Cocoon is made of a flour and water mixture and will bake hard.

Moisture part is a basting made with wine, a little bit of oil with some herbs.

Baked at a low to moderate temp for 3 to 5 hours depending on size.

Then when near baked, break away the cocoon to give a wee browning.

The recipe is something like this... ...

Cheers.

valentino, May 26, 5:25am
Oh the flour and water thing is a dough, need to make up a dough that encases the turkey etc... .

beaker59, May 26, 7:18am
Mince it and make into patties add some pork fat or similar absolutely delicious.

midget8, May 26, 8:57am
Soak it in water and vinegar and a wee tad of salt overnight-make sure its covered properly. We used to do this with farm chooks, that were aged, and they, after the soak and the roast-covered of course, were beautiful.

daisyk, May 27, 2:37am
Hello all kind people who offered so many wonderful suggestions.

Sadly, the turkey is no longer usable. I must have done something dreadfully wrong as it is now very green. Poor old thing. I am doubly sad that all my preparations are all for nought, and it seems such a waste of a beautiful bird, not to mention all your time and suggestions.
Thanks anyway - maybe next time (if ever there is another time). At least I know a lot more about preparing a turkey or any wild bird now.

pericles, May 27, 2:38am
it must have been passed it before it was given to you

verrans, Jun 14, 8:11pm
eww smelly rubbish bag this week for you daisyk. To add to your tips, a meat tenderising tip one of my ex's mentioned to me was to mash kiwifruit and lay it on top of the meat, set aside in the fridge as you would a marrinade . I tried it with beef, and it definately works, much to my surprise! It also didn't seem to taint the meat in any way.