Flat, hard, odd tasting home/handmade bread

Page 3 / 9
uli, Jan 1, 11:55pm
So have most people who participate in some recipe websites - however TM is still wary - that we could - maybe - one day - do something that costs them 65 cents in fees ...

uli, Jan 1, 11:57pm
If it is packed in Onehunga then it is most likely coming from overseas in bulk - there are no flour mills left in NZ as far as I know.

Where from it came will only be clear if we can push the government for "country of origin labeling" - which they resist with force since decades. I wonder why?

elliehen, Jan 2, 12:27am
...and hearing the first cicada of the summer making its heebie-jeebie-jeebie noise.

And I'd also say that a man making his own daily bread would be a big plus on the singles scene ;)

0800xford, Jan 2, 12:34am
where would it be from, australia? that's fine, so long as it's not chinese 'etc'

even the champion brand flour i have here doesn't say where it's 'made' or 'packed' or 'processed' or 'grown' or 'milled' [VAGUE!] goodman fielder are australian www.goodmanfielder.com.au their site has no mention of champion flour at all?! www.bakeinfo.co.nz

0800xford, Jan 2, 12:38am
ha ha

0800xford, Jan 2, 12:43am
ok good news!

http://www.flourinfo.co.nz/default.asp?contentID=511

"Here in New Zealand wheat is primarily sourced locally or from Australia. Canadian or American grain is used when world pricing or customer requirements dictate."

buzzy110, Jan 2, 4:04am
I understand that the practical skill in breadmaking is much more interesting to you at present but you may want to take out a few minutes to read this article. It is mostly about the health benefits of sour dough, but it has some really interesting information about flour as well.

http://www.danreid.org/health-alerts-sour-dough-health.asp

Sadly we can't all grind our own flour, and even organic flour may not be optimum but it is even less of a good idea to buy flour that is past its use by date.

uli grinds her own flour and I'd love to do that too but as I don't I usually buy organic flour in sealed packaging and store it in my deep freeze.

0800xford, Jan 2, 5:55am
i'll have a read, thanks.

i just got some "high grade" homebrand flour from countdown
it clearly says "milled in new zealand" on the side

nzl99, Jan 2, 10:59pm
I'd be happy with the man that readily enjoyed the bread I made... hmmm Recipes Singles Thread possibly....?

0800xford, Jan 3, 1:10am
your bread looks interesting enough, what's wrong with him?!

i'm about ready to try out my new high grade flour, it might just be the highlight of my day ha ha ha ><.

0800xford, Jan 3, 5:15am
whoah, i added a bit more water [1 1/2 cups in total] and a bit more flour [4 cups in total] the loaf is too big for my mini oven! ha ha ha luckily i have a proper sized over to use, this high grade flour makes a heap of difference too.

helenandjohn, Jan 3, 10:55pm
I buy my high grade flour from the local Countdown shop = $1.79 for 1.5 kg - that works out to just under $5.00 for 5kg.

I made my first ciabatta yesterday using the recipe from the Alison Holst book. It wasn't easy finding malt in the supermarket but I tracked it down. The ciabatta was so good that I'm making another loaf today

0800xford, Jan 3, 10:58pm
i get mine from there too, but i paid $2.39 [using a onecard too] this is in auckland too

helenandjohn, Jan 3, 11:05pm

Wow, that's a big difference in price. I'm in the Rangitikei area

nzl99, Jan 3, 11:15pm
"He" doesn't exist.hahaha

I hear you re the flour being a highlight... I'm always excited to try out something new I've bought!

0800xford, Jan 4, 12:00am
i had to google that, you are in like, nowhere

and what a nice house!

0800xford, Jan 4, 12:01am
oh i see...

i get excited about cookware and food etc, but not shoes or chocolate! ha ha

helenandjohn, Jan 4, 12:23am
Not quite 'nowhere' - we're only 40 mins drive from W(h)anganui or Palmerston North.

I've just had some of my 'new' ciabatta with salad vegies from the garden. Yummo!

0800xford, Jan 4, 12:49am
ha ha yeah, i had to zoom way out on the map.
tidy looking garden you have there, i like the anti eye gouging devices too!

0800xford, Jan 5, 12:53am
ok i'm trying this out with NO mixing bowl, just a mound of flour on the bench! hard core.

wish me luck

elliehen, Jan 5, 1:12am
Good luck!Post a pic later :)

0800xford, Jan 5, 1:20am
wicked, that totally worked, and i only have 1 spoon to clean ha ha
my heart rate went up a bit!

i found a decent camera too, it's proving now
http://i51.tinypic.com/x4rqc3.jpg

0800xford, Jan 5, 3:31am
and after baking
http://i56.tinypic.com/qxw3ly.jpg

this is so much fun, next time i go to a party i'll maybe take a loaf instead of beer ha ha ha

uli, Jan 5, 4:15am
Of course!
And so much cheaper too :)

buzzy110, Jan 5, 5:04am
A little bird tells me you will still have to take beer. But be careful, you may just be roped into bringing a 'plate' everytime like women are expected to.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your pizza. Once I had mastered bread, pizza bases were next on my list. I made so many I had to give a whole heap away. Am much more practical about that now. Oh and don't forget baguettes.