Can you freeze christmas ham?

gorgie14b, Dec 19, 3:11am
Hi there.

I won a large leg of xmas ham in a raffle.I live alone, and will never be able to cope with eating the whole thing before it goes off in the fridge. If I cut it into sections, and vacuum seal the bags, will I be able to freeze some of it so I'm not faced with ham for endless weeks on end? (I dont want to freeze the whole ham, just say half of it)

If I can freeze it, what will it come out like when it is thawed? Ok, too moist or useless???

Sorry to bug you all with a simple question, but I'm a solo bachelor whose kitchen skills are basic.

jcd8, Dec 19, 3:20am
Yes, you can freeze ham.Wrap it in cling film or any container that is sealed properly. Just make sure its fresh ham that hasn't been frozen previously.

But not pressed ham. I've frozen 'pressed ham' and it has thawed like a 'sponge-rubber ham'...Too moist and useless...

noonesgirl, Dec 19, 3:25am
If you have a kind butcher, he may cut it up for you. I would slice then freeze. When thawing place slices between handy towels.

sylviasmother1, Dec 19, 3:47am
yep and they will vacum pack for you too

greerg, Dec 19, 3:49am
I usually freeze half of ours but it can't be left very long in the freezer or ice crystals start to form in the meat and the texture changes then it's quite wet when you thaw it.

buzzy110, Dec 19, 5:16am
I freeze leftover ham but use it in soup in the winter.

cookessentials, Dec 19, 5:22am
Absolutley. You may find that it will be a little wetter, but it wont detract from the taste.

tinkagirl, Nov 15, 5:19pm
Yes, great for ham steaks on the BBQ.Will be moist so you will always need to cook it, or put in in cooking like pizzas, soups etc.