Christmas Ham

wishbone66, Dec 15, 10:18am
as these are so expensive what do you think is the best tasting cooked ham to buy, also a moist ham. Some I have had previously have been quite dry.

lythande1, Dec 15, 6:16pm
I buy the "pieces" Pak n Save sell, left over from when they slice the hams.
Usually this is off the proper hams, occasionally it is off the - whatever they call it - compressed type ham? Then I don't.

Cheap as and you get just what you need at the time.

teddy147, Dec 16, 8:50am
I always buy a hobsons choice ham it lovely and moist and meaty. not to dear either.

daarhn, Dec 16, 9:20am
The days gone by when we used to kill, smoke, and cure our own. sigh

samanya, Dec 16, 9:36am
I've bought a couple of those packs . $5 each & quite a good quantity & quality, but that's just for my personal use . not so sure I'd serve it to a crowd on a festive occasion, only because it can be a bit scrappy looking.

fifie, Dec 17, 5:27am
yep yummo, DIL doing us one this year with champagne glaze, for after Xmas have crowd coming for a birthday.

valentino, Dec 17, 7:11am
Quite surprised with one from Pak'N'Save about a month ago, was a half one but had no bone and was at $8.95 per kilo, gave it a go and was satisfied with it, trying to think of the brand name and is not one their usual ones that they have had in the past. Still had that skin on it but not a great deal but enough to score the fat for a nice oven heat. Hmmm, still cannot think of that name.

Cheers

gojojo2, Dec 17, 9:25am
The last few years I have been buying Mad Butchers own brand - around $9 kg I am a fussy ham eater and this brand meets my needs. delish fresh and fried and also comes out perfect if frozen We buy a leg, get it chopped and vacuumed sacked into quarters. love, love, love

wishbone66, Mar 30, 11:55pm
thank you for your ideas, will go shopping tomorrow. Merry Christmas.